Those with centri in blow through mode, what's you BOV sound's like

makriluc

Established Member
Hi guys, I installed a P1SC,FMIC, HPX MAF in blow through mode on my 96 Cobra. With this, I have a TialQ 50 BOV. Tune was completed by Don Lasota, I'm very satisfied with the feel of the car. The only annoying thing is the sound of the BOV. In town, the car sounds like a street cleaner (giant vacuum).
Is this the result of my set-up or should I change my BOV?

Thanks for your input

01yellercobra

Established Member
Any open face BOV is going to be loud. My Tial 50m is loud. If it was still my daily I'd switch to a closed face BOV to quiet it down a little.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
the tial is extremely loud and sounds like you are sandblasting, i had it on mine and switched it to a vortech mini-race which was much quieter and more of a blowoff sound like the imports have

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
"whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wildcard

Established Member
^Hahaha... Mine sounds the same.

Go to a recirc. It may quiet down, but you may still hear it resonating off of the aluminum intercooler pipes.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ive got an enclosed BRRV vented to atmosphere at the moment, worst thing is at certain light throttle positions is howls like a mother ****er

01yellercobra

Established Member
the tial is extremely loud and sounds like you are sandblasting, i had it on mine and switched it to a vortech mini-race which was much quieter and more of a blowoff sound like the imports have

He has to make sure it flows enough too. I had the mini race before and it fluttered when shifting under WOT.

I think placement has something to do with it as well. Right now mine is in the driver side fender well and I can really hear it.

Last edited:

Adiabatik

Banned
LOL you guys think your BOV is loud? I've got a D1 with the HPX MAF and a Big Red bov. People can hear me blocks away. Im running the enclosed version vented to the atmosphere so I can close it if I ever get tired of it (don't see that happening anytime soon. I also have an auto so you really don't hear it at all unless I shift manually and let off inbetween.

Here's an open proflo bullet (not as loud as the Big Red). Sounds awesome IMO

[youtube_browser]sDIu_JzOizc[/youtube_browser]

makriluc

Established Member
Any open face BOV is going to be loud. My Tial 50m is loud. If it was still my daily I'd switch to a closed face BOV to quiet it down a little.

Fisrt time I hear of an open/close face BOV
Would this be a close face BOV

Google Image Result for http://vortechsuperchargers.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/race-bypass.jpg

going to a recirculating style bypass is about all you can do to quiet it down

Vented to atmosphere ?

Imports with a centri supercharger or turbo?
Because with this install, I just found out that there is a difference in BOV between turbo setup and supercharger setup:bash:

He has to make sure it flows enough too. I had the mini race before and it fluttered when shifting under WOT.

Would 35mm (1.5") be enough to flow well?

I think placement has something to do with it as well. Right now mine is in the driver side fender well and I can really hear it.

Mine is located between the engine and the radiator fan, right at the discharge tube.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
my by pass valve sounds anoying as hell when driving out of boost. but i guess thats the price you have to pay when you have a belt driven turbo.

[youtube_browser]jFoL_PFWr74[/youtube_browser]

Stanger00

Established Member
LOL you guys think your BOV is loud? I've got a D1 with the HPX MAF and a Big Red bov. People can hear me blocks away. Im running the enclosed version vented to the atmosphere so I can close it if I ever get tired of it (don't see that happening anytime soon. I also have an auto so you really don't hear it at all unless I shift manually and let off inbetween.

Here's an open proflo bullet (not as loud as the Big Red). Sounds awesome IMO

[youtube_browser]sDIu_JzOizc[/youtube_browser]

The constant venting is what is annoying when you have a centri blower with a BOV. You are saying you do not hear your BOV while you are cruising and have 20" of vacuum? The Big red is louder then the Tial and that is what I run with my car and that POS cries look at me while cruising. The only time it isnt too loud is when I am putting around at 30-35mph.

Adiabatik

Banned
The constant venting is what is annoying when you have a centri blower with a BOV. You are saying you do not hear your BOV while you are cruising and have 20" of vacuum? The Big red is louder then the Tial and that is what I run with my car and that POS cries look at me while cruising. The only time it isnt too loud is when I am putting around at 30-35mph.

I have an auto so it doesn't vent as often as a stick car. That is what I meant. It is loud as ****, but I love it and am no where near getting tired of it. I get looks and compliments quite often :shrug:

Stanger00

Established Member
I have an auto so it doesn't vent as often as a stick car. That is what I meant. It is loud as ****, but I love it and am no where near getting tired of it. I get looks and compliments quite often :shrug:

You do know that the BOV is constantly venting when you are part throttle driving. I drive an auto as well. In 3rd gear cruising at 45mph the tial is making enough noise to raise too much attention. In OD, cruising at 75 on the highway the tial is making way too much noise. The tial is mounted just before the inlet of my paxton intercooler which is in the engine bay and that could be why I think the BOV is way too damn loud.

I am waiting to pick up a knock off alpha q. Unless I find a better alternative. The tuner tried to run a stiffer 6psi spring but the car couldnt hold an idle so we were forced to get the 3psi supercharger spring. The BOV is full open at idle.

TClark22

Established Member
yea prochargers big red is loud as hell...but its one of the best. I see 1000+hp turbo setups run them pretty regularly.

I use just the crappy standard procharger bypass vented to atmosphere. Its not real loud, especially since i have a tube on the end of it routing it away from the ground cause the right side of my car would be dusty immediatly cause it was blowing up everything on the road. lol centri bypass valves sound soo good to me. the big red paired with an f1 sound like a freakin jet

crappy cell phone vid but you can hear the bypass open when i let off...

[youtube_browser]8jj4fU59heg[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread