Those with solid axles in here

raiders03

Banned
What have been your experiences with your solid rears? What have been your difference in track times before and after. Having no more fear of breaking a half shaft and losing 100 pounds are also huge bonuses. I am just wondering if there have been significant loses in 1/4 mile times. Any info on this would be helpful.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
That's the kicker. From what I have seen so far, nobody has really improved! Yet to see any consistent 1.4 or 1.5 outta the straight axle guys.

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
cmon you know a 100-125 lbs loss has got to help...traction wont be that much better but at least you wont break and if you do its cheaper...im going solid axle but i wont have before and after with just the rear sorry

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by EatonLS-1s
What have been your experiences with your solid rears? What have been your difference in track times before and after. Having no more fear of breaking a half shaft and losing 100 pounds are also huge bonuses. I am just wondering if there have been significant loses in 1/4 mile times. Any info on this would be helpful.

If your drag racing the solid is the way to go period. I've never heard of anyone losing time or having negative effects after switching, don't see how you could:shrug: Like you said, not only do you save a huge chunk of weight but durability is no longer an issue if the swap is done properly. Also by going to a solid you have many more options for mods for the suspension, exhaust etc....If I had to do it all over again the solid and some good tires would have been the first thing I would have done to my car. I've always wondered just how fast I could have got a stock 03 with a solid and dr's or et's??????

:beer:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Why wont some of you solid guys dump the SOB at 6 grand and see what happens? That's what you all got the solid for...right?

Bad10th

Established Member
I will be doing that on Sat. if it dont rain...hopefully my clutch is up for the task!

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by sambandit
Why wont some of you solid guys dump the SOB at 6 grand and see what happens? That's what you all got the solid for...right?

did that last year on the irs and did it this year on the solid:shrug:

Bad10th

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
ryan did u get a new clutch? what ended up happening with that whole ordeal?

Well the Centerforce stuff is out of the car! I am sending it all back to them tomorrow...I am working with them to make some adjustments for me and hopefully for everybody that wants to go with them. I put a brand new stock Cobra clutch back in the car to get me by for now. See what Centerforce comes up for me....but I may have an Auto in the car by then.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
What type of "adjustments" are they going to make? i was leaning toward the centerforce but after hearing about your problems the first time out with it. Im undecided.

I have a solid axle coming May 1. Then i will be launching this thing like an animal!

Bad10th

Established Member
Not sure on the adjustments yet...I will know more when they get the clutch in their hands......I will let you and eveybody know as soon as I find out!

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
I have a solid axle coming May 1. Then i will be launching this thing like an animal!

uh, on my b-day!...my wish will be for your car to kick some serious ass........(not that its not right now or anything...) representin'......

MysticBob

Established Member
Besides the weight and durability, I think there is some power benefit too:

The 120 lb savings is about 12 HP off the bat.

But on the dyno the spin loss is less with a SRA. I got 10 to 16 RWHP more with SRA (at 50miles and at 150miles on new axle). As this breaks-in I will retest and post. It is going in the right direction, picking up more and more with more milage.

Done my stuff on the dyno, not on the track, sorry. But it is now a stoplight terror!

jimh

Established Member
Have any of you noticed it being MORE difficult to get traction with the SRA? Our cars are a little nose heavy now and that 120lbs is coming out of the back of the car. Hows the weight transfer?
Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious.

jim

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
im going to be relocating the battery to the rear but my buddy has a 99 with solid axle...yeah he has no problem with weight transfer lol

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i couldnt be more happy with my SRA. only mods to my car are k&n and catback. times hopefully tomorrow (f1's though) and some better slick times on the way...low low 12 is my goal if i can drive...

raiders03

Banned
So no one with a solid rear has actually improved their 60' time. I know there are people here who have gone to the track with solid rears. Post your 60' times guys.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
if they dont improve their 60' with a solid..their doing something wrong. i for one got my solid so i can dump it at 5k and go. plus i havent experienced wheel hop ONCE since it was put in....1st and 2nd gear burnous no problem..:coolman:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Re: Those with solid axles in here

Originally posted by Steel City
If your drag racing the solid is the way to go period. I've never heard of anyone losing time or having negative effects after switching, don't see how you could:shrug: Like you said, not only do you save a huge chunk of weight but durability is no longer an issue if the swap is done properly. Also by going to a solid you have many more options for mods for the suspension, exhaust etc....If I had to do it all over again the solid and some good tires would have been the first thing I would have done to my car. I've always wondered just how fast I could have got a stock 03 with a solid and dr's or et's??????

:beer:
I agree with you. But....the IRS is the way to stay if you want to maintain ride quality on the road, do some occasional racing and want a better corner carver. I would only so solid rear IF I was going to do a lot of racing. Why give up the merits of the IRS unless you really have to?

Users who are viewing this thread