Those with Stalled Autos

Jtaugner

Established Member
Quick question, just got my PTC Torque Converter, all my Chevy friends are saying I need an additional Transmission Cooler, is this common with the new 5.0's and the 6R80's?

Are ya'll seeing higher trans temp #'s with a stall? I've been looking at people's signature's and it doesn't seem to be a common mod.

Jtaugner

Established Member
^this

Even with my Circle D 2B 258mm converter, casual driving, trans fluid temps never rise higher than 185* to 187*F.

I figured the stock was good enough, plus judging by how few people actually had an aftermarket Trans Cooler I figured the stocker kept it cool enough.

When you did your TC, did you put better fluid in, or stick with the stock fluid? Any noticeable difference from say RP vs Stock?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I sure did, you will not catch me sticking with stock fluid.

Amsoil ATF LV - requires 12 quarts for a full fill, however, I could only get 10 quarts back into the system for a full fill. That means 2 quarts was retained in the external cooler and valve body of the transmission. I tried to pump fresh fluid into the cooling system, but fluid kept spitting out all over me. I gave up, since the car only has 3,100 miles on it.

Last edited:

Jtaugner

Established Member
I sure did, you will not catch me sticking with stock fluid.

Amsoil ATF LV - requires 12 quarts for a full fill, however, I could only get 10 quarts back into the system for a full fill. That means 2 quarts was retained in the external cooler and valve body of the transmission. I tried to pump fresh fluid into the cooling system, but fluid kept spitting out all over me. I gave up, since the car only has 3,100 miles on it.

Was that after the 1 that you're supposed to put into the TC itself?

Jtaugner

Established Member
Did any of you install it yourself?

I have access to a lift and all tools, how long would I expect to be at this? I've got two extremely mechanically inclined people plus myself.

4VFTW

Established Member
Did any of you install it yourself?

I have access to a lift and all tools, how long would I expect to be at this? I've got two extremely mechanically inclined people plus myself.

i did mine in the garage on jack stands , took me about 8hrs.

gottoast

Established Member
Do you have to take to the Dealer after for anything? I remember reading some people needed too for something just can't recall.

I know you need to get an updated tune....

Anyone have a 4c with 4:10's?

Deespeed99

Established Member
Look up online for a 2011+ service manual. It was pretty spot on for me when it came to it.

4VFTW

Established Member
Do you have to take to the Dealer after for anything? I remember reading some people needed too for something just can't recall.

I know you need to get an updated tune....

Anyone have a 4c with 4:10's?
Yes I have 4.10's with a 4c...works great with a boss intake, with a stock intake i'd go 3.73

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread