Those with Whipple and 3.5" pulley

Ryushin

Established Member
Can someone with a Whipple and a 3.5" pulley who has removed their hood blanket do a measurement for me. I'm trying to find out how much space is left between the hood and the pulley. Can someone who is running the 3.5" pulley put some putty on the end of the pulley and close the hood and measure. You might have to put a drop of oil on top of the putty so it doesn't stick to the hood.

I'm looking to put a 3.75" or a 4" pulley on. The new Gen2 rotors make 1.5-2 psi more and I want to keep a more conservative boost level.

Ryushin

Established Member
So no one is running the stock 3.5" pulley on their whipple? For those that have just bought theirs, can you take a measurement before changing out the pulley?

Ryushin

Established Member
I'm buying all my supporting mods in June and July, though that's going to be another post. I haven't bought anything yet and my car is completely stock. I don't intend on ever running more then 15 pounds. Typically I plan on running 10-13 pounds, or what ever it takes to crack 500 rwhp. I just want the improved efficiency and cooler temps of the twin screw. I just need to find out how large of a pulley I can fit under the hood.

Oborroto

Established Member
I didnt have any problem with pully clearence I did have to cut a piece of the hood out.
I dont have an updated picture but I did end up cutting an extra 3/4 of an inch off the top and bottom. That was the day after the install, before I had the hole patched up.

I wouldnt buy the 3.4 if your planning on running 15 pounds. I would go with the 2.3

hoodlol.jpg

ETA this is with a 3.5 upper.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
I checked out Reichard web site, it doesn't list it specifically. But they also said they can make custom pulleys as well.

MikeW

Established Member
Why not just use the 2.5 stocker and turn the timing down if you want consertitive? Or better yet why even go whipple if you are only going to run 9-10lbs of boost....

Ryushin

Established Member
Because of the lower inlet temps. I want to run just enough boost to crack 500 rwhp. The Ported Eaton is going to be getting too hot to make that. The twin screw just seems the best way to go.

MikeW

Established Member
So you think that the difference in Ita2's between the 4.00 and 3.50 pulley will be that much difference? Be neat to see data logs with that information on it.

My 21lb coupe has Iat2's that are 4 degrees hotter on the same dyno ...same day as the 17lb vert does.

Are you sure a 4.00 will get 500RWHP? My 17lb on 23 degrees only hit 597STD. You have about 9lbs less in boost that is going to cause a huge drop in RWHP I would think.

You have more willpower than me because if you are going to put out the $$$ to go whipple and slap a 4.00 pulley you have more willpower than I do LOL .... but hey it is your ride :beer:

**EDIT**
Ok nevermind my post... I see that you are on a mission http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6024166&postcount=34

I will agree witht others that said 500RWHP on 10lbs of bosst is not going to happen.. (I have been wrong before).

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
Well, the temps might be about the same for the 4.00" and the 3.5". I'm also looking at longevity of the engine. Probably because sometime in the next couple of years, this engine will be coming out of my cobra and go into a '67 Eleanor that I will be building. Then I'm building a aluminum block with new heads to go back into the cobra and either going turbo or re-using the whipple and put the eaton on the Eleanor.

MikeW

Established Member
Nice build if you get to do the '67 with the '03 powertrain in it :beer: I edited my post above after I read why you are on the hunt for the 4.00.

Good luck :rockon:

Silverboost

Established Member
I would think your torque levels are going to be sacrificed with running that low of boost on a 2.3 liter blower. If I was you i wouldn't even mod your car if you are looking for longivity.

04RiceEater

Established Member
I just got the gen II whipple and I think that im going with the 3.5 pulley and maybe slap a 2# lower on it. I think FASnakes is going with the same setup so I want to see what numbers he makes.

I have the 3.00 pulley as well, does anyone have any numbers with these two setups? Im hoping to make between 580 and 600rwhp so hpefully this will get me there.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
IMO, the engine would be just fine with a 3.5 pulley, You'll be running 14-15#'s you have to realize 90% of the time you are not in the boost. So unless your at WOT all the time the engine will last a long quite awhile @ 15#'s. just my .02

Ryushin

Established Member
I just got the gen II whipple and I think that im going with the 3.5 pulley and maybe slap a 2# lower on it. I think FASnakes is going with the same setup so I want to see what numbers he makes.

Can you take a measurement for me after you install it with the 3.5" pulley? I'd just like to know how much room is there between the hood and the pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread