Thoughts on buying AC COBRA from backdraft racing!!!

turboboyz

Established Member
Hey guys im in the market to buy a sports car and im down to 3 cars.
1. 1966 AC Cobra from backdraft with roush 427ci with 550hp
2. 10-11 svt cobra
3. zo6 or grandsport

all 3 cost about the same around 50 to 55k

i kinda want the ac cobra more just cause its different, what are your thoughts and has anyone had experience with a AC cobra or with a backdraft one. The AC cobra will be a brand new car built by backdraft with the roush motor.

thanks for input

slider701

Established Member
Turboboyz,

You really need to drive a cobra before making the plunge. They are a completely different animal from the other two on your list. You will definitely not pick a cobra for a daily driver. It has to be a weekend toy, unlike the other two. With that said I would pick the cobra.

Backdrafts are great cars, have a 2" longer wheelbase than original cars (92" vs. 90") and tend to be a little less twitchy.........but you can still kill yourself in a hurry if you don't respect them. There is no ABS, no traction control, no creature comforts. Only raw brute HP/TQ and sheer exhilaration.

You should check out Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site! - Club Cobra

Clubcobra is a wealth of information on BD, Superformance, ERA, and a host of other replicas. You should be able to hook up with other Cobra owners in your area and get a ride (or drive) in a car and see if you like it. Size does matter, and if you're a tall or really big guy then getting into/out of a cobra might be an issue. This is where meeting up with guys in your area and trying a few different brands out for fit might help before dropping $50K USD on a car.

I would also talk to Jay at Vintage Motorsports Welcome to VINTAGE Motorsports

Jay is on Club Cobra as "Cashburn" and is a big supporter of that site. Even if you don't buy from him (since he is in CT) he is always willing to work with BD customers.

The other issue you face is importation of a car into Canada. I think that BD and Superformance have this down and know how to do it legally.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Would you be interested in a ERA 427 cobra with a real 427 sideoiler?? and a single barrel carb??

KILRSVT

Established Member
Slider 701 got some great info.... I know a guy down here in nor cal with one for sale comes with a side oiler 427 in it... Beautiful car and has raw power think it would do 120 in 2nd lol. Good luck with your pick! I personally would get a z06 or a Shelby since you can have a dicent track car and a good dd

slider701

Established Member
He cannot buy a finished running car and import it into Canada. He has to buy it in kit form or have one built up there.

Here is a good link to get started:

[ame=http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99497]Cobra replica manufacturers in Canada - Club Cobra[/ame]

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Turboboyz,

You really need to drive a cobra before making the plunge. They are a completely different animal from the other two on your list. You will definitely not pick a cobra for a daily driver. It has to be a weekend toy, unlike the other two. With that said I would pick the cobra.

Backdrafts are great cars, have a 2" longer wheelbase than original cars (92" vs. 90") and tend to be a little less twitchy.........but you can still kill yourself in a hurry if you don't respect them. There is no ABS, no traction control, no creature comforts. Only raw brute HP/TQ and sheer exhilaration.

You should check out Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site! - Club Cobra

Clubcobra is a wealth of information on BD, Superformance, ERA, and a host of other replicas. You should be able to hook up with other Cobra owners in your area and get a ride (or drive) in a car and see if you like it. Size does matter, and if you're a tall or really big guy then getting into/out of a cobra might be an issue. This is where meeting up with guys in your area and trying a few different brands out for fit might help before dropping $50K USD on a car.

I would also talk to Jay at Vintage Motorsports Welcome to VINTAGE Motorsports

Jay is on Club Cobra as "Cashburn" and is a big supporter of that site. Even if you don't buy from him (since he is in CT) he is always willing to work with BD customers.

The other issue you face is importation of a car into Canada. I think that BD and Superformance have this down and know how to do it legally.

I know Jay and Brian personally and they are both great guys and run a great business. I believe they are the largest Backdraft dealer outside of Reg down in Florida of course(the main U.S. HQ).
I just tried to call Brian about getting a car in to Canada, if I talk to him I will update the thread.
You can also give them a call tomorrow and I am sure they could answer any questions.

The cars are flat-out awesome but like stated above, they are a whole different animal from a Vette or Mustang.

turboboyz

Established Member
im only 5'6 so the height issue wont be a problem and i know the cobra is a beast and i only want it as a toy, not a dd. i just love the rawness of that car and it only weighs like 2600ish pounds.

ive talked to jay several months ago and he was super helpfull. as for bringin it into canada i dont see any problems with that.

i was just wondering if anyone has drivn one and how they felt about it.

up here in canada i only know of one ac cobra in town and its some older guy who never drives it.

turboboyz

Established Member
ive been in both the vettes and new shelbys and liked em both. The downside with the vette is they r so damn expensive to modify where as shelby r cheap for mods. But it seems like everyone has these 2 cars in town.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
ive been in both the vettes and new shelbys and liked em both. The downside with the vette is they r so damn expensive to modify where as shelby r cheap for mods. But it seems like everyone has these 2 cars in town.

i wish i lived in your town, with everyone in your towns money. :banana:

i like all 3 choices....i don't think you can go wrong.

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I have a TON of info on Factory 5 racing Cobras as well, including a pretty cool build school you can attend that gives you help with building your own car.

Users who are viewing this thread