• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Thoughts on electrical issue

Discussion in 'Terminator Talk' started by efnfast, Feb 25, 2018.

1. efnfast

efnfast Active Member Established Member

04 cobra, ~200k miles.

Sometimes when I key off the car the gauges will start to sweep to zero but freeze and the odometer will flash dashes (which I think means it lost connection with PCM).

At the same time when this started happening, every month or two (i.e., very infrequently) when I try to start the car I"ll hear a loud CLICK and then I'll lose all power to the car (everywhere, for example, no power windows or trunk, etc...). If I pull the key out of the ignition I hear a loud TICK TICK TICK coming from underneath the driver dash. If I stick the key back in the TICKing will stop, and resume if I remove the key. The only way I can get power back to the car is to disconnect the battery, wait a minute, then hook it back up. Then everything works perfectly, at least until it happens again.

I kinda think CCRM because of the odometer flashing dashes at me, but I don't think the CCRM would explain losing all power in the car when I try to start it. I kinda think something with the starter, like maybe it's shorting itself and that causes a circuit breaker to blow, but then it should be a consistent problem, not one that happens every month or two.

2. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Established Member

I would check main bat. power and grounds. A weak connection can "fail" when stressed (cranking).

No comment on the clicking...

3. 02JoeGhost

02JoeGhost Boost it hard Established Member

Also check connections at the fuse panel under the dash.

4. hotcobra03

hotcobra03 Well-Known Member Established Member

grounds on radiator support.

I've had issues with the rings cracking and had issue with ground wire burning up inside casing..

I did replace ground wire from battery to support with a larger size battery wire..

the oem battery terminal' also wear after time..
    if they have been replaced..like mine have..
    these get dirty fast..and need a ot more cleaning than most..

I've had bad alts,bad batterys,these issues have only set battery light

5. efnfast

efnfast Active Member Established Member

I've replaced the battery so it can't be that. I did a voltage drop test on the connections and they seemed okay. Visually connections seem okay but I guess I shuld give them a cleaning, couldn't hurt.

6. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Established Member

visual doesn't work. I'd have a multi meter on hand and test during failure.

7. 03SonicVert

03SonicVert Ford Junkie since 1996 Established Member

Do a visual on the ignition switch! The 2 halves start to separate and the internal contacts start to separate as well causing all sorts of weird issues. At that mileage grab a Motorcraft Ignition switch and replace the original.

SV

8. jbou91

jbou91 Active Member Established Member

Had an issue like this. Ended up being a loose ground in the trunk connecting to the FPDM.