Thoughts on the new Lincoln MKC

dom418

Established Member
Only the top trim model looks good, the one that starts at $33k...not so much. All options brings the price to nearly $50k so if you are going to putting a log of miles on it, go with something cheaper IMO. I get a new company car every 3 years, granted they give me mine but depreciation sucks and at the rate you will be going through cars, you will lose your ass especially on a Lincoln.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Then why get an SUV in the first place? Why not get a car that get's 35mpg+?

In reference to your question: I do like the looks of it. I agree with what was said that it's not as common of a car. I'd drive it.

I need the ground clearance as I'm in Denver. I don't want it bottoming out if I take it on an unpaved dirt road to get to a prime camping location.

Having been through the whole 'Lincoln' deal with a CUV for my wife (a 2011 MKT) that we finally rid ourselves of and bought an Escape. Lincoln service is horrid, the availabilty of part is non-existant due to the limited production and while you can take a Lincoln to any Ford dealer, you will not get the services you paid for and they start off with the 'we really don't know those vehicles but we will try' line basicly asking you to go elsewhere. Our 2 yrs of Lincoln ownership was among the worst vehicles ownership experiences we ever had. And it cost us over $25k to get out of it. Lincoln values drop like a rock after sale. MUCH worse than comparable Fords. They start out at 10 to 15k above the price of the comparable Ford and the used price is equal or LESS due to service problems.

Sorry, Lincoln needs to overhaul its whole dealership organization to deal with customers younger than 95. They also need exclusive content, not a gussied up Ford for $15k more money and empty promises of service after the sale.

Oh, and the Escape has been wonderful. Great to drive, has almost every option the Lincoln had and much more up to date electronics. We don't get 28mpg but ours is an AWD 2.0EB. We average about 25. Heck that is twice what my wifes 2002 Explorer got and a whole lot more power. The 2.0EB is pretty zippy.

That's troubling to hear. I hope that experience would be isolated to the dealership(s) you were working with. Great to hear about your Escape, it's the alternative.

I actually worked on the MKC for a couple years and on the interior design team. Lincoln put a lot into this product and for the people that say "Oh the MKC is just an escape with a higher trim level" are so annoying because this vehicle is 90% all new. The suspension and ride height is different and it actually handles very well for an SUV. The reviews are coming in really good and that is tough because EVERY single website is really hard on any Lincoln because it is good press to do that. It is leaps and bounds better than that horrible Lexus NX that people are taking about. That vehicle looks like it was designed by 5 year olds.

My favorite parts of the MKC are the driving position and comfort of the seats as soon as you climb into them. It takes a minute to get used to the touch button shifters but it really does create so much more free "space" in a compact SUV that makes the interior look bigger especially opposed to the Escape. The handeling is great but I did not get to drive a 2.3 EB yet but even the 2.0 will put a little smile on your face. Make sure to get the CCD damping though that is standard on the MKZ.

Direct from the horse's mouth! That's pretty awesome that you worked on it! It does seem as if the MKC doesn't share much with the Escape save the 2.0 drivetrain and chassis. I definitely like the fact it doesn't have that shifter in the way, I bet that'll set a trend in the class. I'll go give it a drive next week, I want to see what the faux leather is like and the two they have at the nearest Lincoln dealership are equipped with it. I'll look into the CCD, I'm kinda surprised it's not standard.

My wife and I bought an MKC a couple weeks ago. She drives it every day and loves it. Seats are comfortable, makes good power, comes with a lot of features standard. Seems to be way better built than the CLA she's traded for it.

Great to hear that, how is it spec'd out?

Only the top trim model looks good, the one that starts at $33k...not so much. All options brings the price to nearly $50k so if you are going to putting a log of miles on it, go with something cheaper IMO. I get a new company car every 3 years, granted they give me mine but depreciation sucks and at the rate you will be going through cars, you will lose your ass especially on a Lincoln.

I'm not going for a top of the line trim level. I just want AWD, the 2.3, and the tow package. As for depreciating, it all depends on how you look at it. The company gives a generous car allowance so am I really losing anything by going with the more desirable car?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
It's a base model with the only option being the pearl white paint. It's got the 2.0 which still makes it plenty fun to drive, rear view camera, decent stereo, seats are really comfortable. That's all she needed so it worked for us.

Nice, I'm looking at a low-optioned model as well. They're pretty nicely equipped out of the gate and options only bring even more depreciation. Got any pics?

dom418

Established Member
I'm not going for a top of the line trim level. I just want AWD, the 2.3, and the tow package. As for depreciating, it all depends on how you look at it. The company gives a generous car allowance so am I really losing anything by going with the more desirable car?

I don't know what your company gives for an allowance but usually the amount should cover gas, insurance , maint, etc. so let's say it's $1000 a month, after you figure all of your expenses, that grand doesn't seem like so much. If it were me, I would buy a small SUV for say $25k, pay it off, and pocket the rest after that.

If you find a company that GIVES you a car, that's the way to go. Gas, insurance, maint, is all paid for. We get to choose from about 10 different models. I have an Altima now, but that wouldn't work in Denver

I know it gets exciting when you know a car is being paid for and the tendency is to spend all the allowance they give you. I learned the hard way with my first couple company cars. I added options to it that I had to pay out of my own pocket for, ultimately I figured out the car was just a means to do my job. At the rate I go through cars, I just take the trim level offered to me.

Last edited:

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
I need the ground clearance as I'm in Denver. I don't want it bottoming out if I take it on an unpaved dirt road to get to a prime camping location.

That's troubling to hear. I hope that experience would be isolated to the dealership(s) you were working with. Great to hear about your Escape, it's the alternative.

Direct from the horse's mouth! That's pretty awesome that you worked on it! It does seem as if the MKC doesn't share much with the Escape save the 2.0 drivetrain and chassis. I definitely like the fact it doesn't have that shifter in the way, I bet that'll set a trend in the class. I'll go give it a drive next week, I want to see what the faux leather is like and the two they have at the nearest Lincoln dealership are equipped with it. I'll look into the CCD, I'm kinda surprised it's not standard.

Great to hear that, how is it spec'd out?

I think the product planning team wanted to make sure the price was lower so they did not offer CCD on the base model but it is easy and not very expensive to add. Good luck! Make sure to let me know if you need an X-Plan I can always give those out to help out members.

Users who are viewing this thread