Thoughts on the "new" Z28 Camaro?

El Jeffe

Established Member
So as always, Chevy is a day late and a dollar short on their intro of competition for the Boss Mustang ala 2014 Z28 "track ready" model unveiled at the NYC Car Show.
I love the fact they need 427 cubes to get to 500 hp when Boss does 444 with 302.
My fav feature was the one speaker radio (to save weight!)...whats that save like 12 oz? And AC optional? And no sound insulation at all?
Talk about riding around in a tin can.....wondered what the Boss Brotherhood thought of this entry??

RTD

Established Member
I kinda like the idea of a big inch NA motor in a stripper car. And I've had 3 Camaros in the past.

But $60k-65k? Umm, no. I'd get a lightly used Z06 before I ever threw that kind of money at a new pony car.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Its a superior car on all performance levels.

I'm going to get one:bored:

It sucks they are late to the party..

If they released this in 2011 we might have seen a boss 351 in 2012-2013.

Its over priced, over weight and over hyped. Just like the ZL1

I can't imagine how ZL1 owners feel... :nonono:

theres only one chevy i would spend 60,000+ on, and it ends in vette. (Minus the rear end):(

LostPony

Established Member
I think it's a pretty cool idea, and I'm sure it will outperform the Boss and their own ZL1. To me, it's still too heavy, and too ugly. I think the rear looks like a late 60's Impala, only uglier. At the price point they are talking, and the total lack of any amenities, I would rather buy a C6 Corvette, go faster, and have some money left over.

fangstang

Established Member
If this came out at the same time as the boss did, it would embarrass the Boss on the track. I like both cars, but I dont see the boss coming anywhere close to the Z/28 on the street or track.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It really isn't in the same class as the Boss though.

The Z/28 is a racecar. A/C is an option for crying out loud. The Boss was built to be a street/track car. The Z/28 is a track car.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
_facebook_-25491297__zps46158826.gif

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Not for $60k. I like the concept though.I agree that if I'm spending 60 large on a Chevy it's gonna be a Vette

truefiveo

Established Member
I love the fact they need 427 cubes to get to 500 hp when Boss does 444 with 302.

427 LS7> Boss 302

You really think chevy needed to make 427 cubes for 500HP???

It was more of a novelty displacement for us real men who don't care for gay FI modular engines.:lol:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
So as always, Chevy is a day late and a dollar short on their intro of competition for the Boss Mustang ala 2014 Z28 "track ready" model unveiled at the NYC Car Show.
My fav feature was the one speaker radio (to save weight!)...whats that save like 12 oz? And AC optional? And no sound insulation at all?
Talk about riding around in a tin can.....wondered what the Boss Brotherhood thought of this entry??

What do you think about the 00R

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Honestly I've never cared for the body style of the new Camaros. I'd much rather have a '13 GT500 or '13 Boss over any Camaro. Also Chevy has really dropped the ball on their attempts for a go-fast Camaro. The ZL1 was all hyped up then fell flat on it's face, it wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen with the Z28.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
What do you think about the 00R

I've very glad you brought this up.

Every time a '00R gets brought up the fanboys are all "ZOMG! So awesome!" splooge splooge. When the new Z28 is mentioned it's "Seriously? That much money? It only has one speaker and a/c is OPTIONAL! Hahahah fail!"

The Z28 has a radio with one speaker, optional a/c, and the sound deadening stripped. The '00R had NO radio, NO a/c (and no option for it) and also had the sound deadening stripped.

The Z28 is too much? Rumors are it'll be $60k, $65k, even $70k. The '00R was $55k back in 2000. Adjusted for inflation that's over $72k in today's money. The MSRP on a base Mustang GT at the time was $22k. An '01 Cobra was $28k. The '00R was 2.5 times the cost of a GT and almost double the cost of a regular Cobra. It's a Mustang though so it's ok.

Dumb fanboys are dumb.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
I've very glad you brought this up.

Every time a '00R gets brought up the fanboys are all "ZOMG! So awesome!" splooge splooge. When the new Z28 is mentioned it's "Seriously? That much money? It only has one speaker and a/c is OPTIONAL! Hahahah fail!"

The Z28 has a radio with one speaker, optional a/c, and the sound deadening stripped. The '00R had NO radio, NO a/c (and no option for it) and also had the sound deadening stripped.

The Z28 is too much? Rumors are it'll be $60k, $65k, even $70k. The '00R was $55k back in 2000. Adjusted for inflation that's over $72k in today's money. The MSRP on a base Mustang GT at the time was $22k. An '01 Cobra was $28k. The '00R was 2.5 times the cost of a GT and almost double the cost of a regular Cobra. It's a Mustang though so it's ok.

Dumb fanboys are dumb.

man has a point. but we are in a svt/mustang/ford oriented forum. things are reversed in the gm forums. just one of those things, everyone has their fanbase, and not everyone will agree

Users who are viewing this thread