Thoughts on Twin Turbo install labor charges..

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
should have the breakdown by hour, whats their hourly rate? has to be well over 100 bucks if it cost that much, and no way it would take 120 hours? really 3 weeks of labor???????????? something doesn't add up if they can't prove it don't pay it.turbo kit maybe a 4 day install at most at 8 hours is 32 hours at 100 bucks 3200.......

I just said the same exact thing sorry i didn't read your post but your 100% correct i tore about my 302 in fox body, assembled, short block, put trans in, re did interior carpet, seats re upholstered... and it was maybe 48 hours worth of work.....

not saying doing a turbo isn't a lot of working and welding etc... but i literally stripped a car and rebuilt it in less then 120 hours. thats insane but as long as the quality is there in the long run you did right.

Blueline

Established Member
I was quoted 12k but that included the twin kit, sullivan upper and lower, TB and tune. 12k just in labor is nuts but trust me you are not alone when getting banged in the corn hole when it comes to shops taken advantage of people. Your car should be sick though.

Al just do it already!! Then Ill buy ALL of your current stuff! hahaha :banana:

Ptvenom

Established Member
I appreciate everyones input. Thanks for your time. I also felt the labor charges were quite a bit excessive. Like I said earlier they have had my car since April. So far we are sitting at $16,000 total labor counting the other work that's been done. Still have to finish putting in the fuel hat, wire up the gauges, install the meth injection and tune.. Im sure by their prices i'll be at least 20k or more in labor and tuning alone.. Woohoo...

I knew I should have let Mike Palugi build my car..

Pic of the custom charge pipe and fresh powder coating on valve covers and sullivan intake.

040.jpg

030.jpg

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
It's going to be awesome when completed, but it's obvious you have money to burn, and they know it too. I guarantee your average Joe wanting a turbo setup installed wouldn't be paying that much... I'd say they are "customizing" their pricing to suit the customer a bit here.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
It's going to be awesome when completed, but it's obvious you have money to burn, and they know it too. I guarantee your average Joe wanting a turbo setup installed wouldn't be paying that much... I'd say they are "customizing" their pricing to suit the customer a bit here.

BINGO! Exaaaaaactly!

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Honestly reading the responses from the turbo folks in our section, I thought it was bout right, maybe a lil on the high side. Awhile back few folks posted up how much there setup was, it ranged from 9-12k depending on turbo's and piping. None the less that car looks great and will be quick!

Edit: Nvrmind the dealers are in. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

That does NOT include the turbo kit. Those are straight labor charges. All of my parts have been paid for.

This is straight off the invoice I have in my hands. Just they way they typed it up.

Labor for hot side modifications: $765.00
-remove old waste gate flanges
-install new waste gate flanges
-wrap hot side piping

Labor for cold side modifications: $3485.00
-lower intercooler & modify piping
-add two blow off valves to intercooler
-fabricate alum. charge pip w/maf flange

Labor for: $8500.00
-Turbo kit
-Clock turbo's
-Assemble oil feed & return lines
-Install fuel lines & rails
-Install spark plugs
-Install Lethal Performance fuel system
-Bump steer kit
-Install Sullivan intake
-Boost controller
-Wrap hot side piping (again I guess the first time wasnt enough)
-Relocate power steering pump
-Route vacuum lines
-Coil overs & caster/camber plates

Also like to add they have had my car since April and its not finished yet.

Sorry, but you sir have been ass raped by an elephant. LOL

hot side modifications? Really, almost $800? Are they gold plated flanges? Wait, you said this is only the labor? 20 min to cut the flanges and same amount of time to weld them. Couple hours to wrap the pipes.

cold side? I did something similar for a hellion kit, full custom one off piping from intercooler to tbody, $600 for the SS piping, fab work and welding and I didn't mark up the cost from the guy I had do the fab work.

Labor of all the other stuff? Wow, charged again for wrapping that they didn't complete the first time? I charge anywhere from $800-1500 to install a single or twin kit. That price difference depends on if I am installing fuel components, providing the fluids, gauge install, etc. and I always drop the pan and have the drain fitting welded on.

I understand people have to put food on the table and pay the bills. But there is a big difference between covering bills and making some money then trying to get rich off an install or charge enough so I can buy this other toy I need for the shop.

Bottom line OP, while I feel bad for you, part of me doesn't. You have let it get this far and they know they can take advantage of you, so of course they will do it. You won't get out of there without dropping another 5k at least. For $20k I and other shops could have provided a built motor, turbo kit and more, but you are paying that in just labor. I sure hope this car is everything you ever dreamed it was.

Last edited:

prostkr

Established Member
Wow is all I can say. And the quality is not even there. The inter-cooler piping has 2x as many bends as it needs. I would have charged a quarter of that for the complete job. Sorry man. If you have made payments and signed invoices your stuck. This has to be the worst ripoff turbo job I have seen to date.

Ptvenom

Established Member
No no I haven't signed anything nor have I paid for any labor. All I have paid for is parts. Told them I thought they were full of sh*t on the labor charges. They basically told me they were trying to screw me by telling me to go over the invoice and come back with a price I thought was fair & reasonable. There are only a few speed shops around the Memphis area so I would imagine it wouldn't take much effort for anyone to guess the shop that has my car.

black 10th vert

Established Member
No no I haven't signed anything nor have I paid for any labor. All I have paid for is parts. Told them I thought they were full of sh*t on the labor charges. They basically told me they were trying to screw me by telling me to go over the invoice and come back with a price I thought was fair & reasonable. There are only a few speed shops around the Memphis area so I would imagine it wouldn't take much effort for anyone to guess the shop that has my car.

Try to get some invoices from guys that have had a similar setup done from the turbo subforum. If you have some "comps" showing what is customary for this type of install, then you will have more bargaining power than just saying you that you "think" they are overcharging for the work. It seems to me that this shop may not have ever done one of these conversions before, so you are footing the bill for their learning curve.:nonono:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
If they give you a quote then they need to get close to that and only chanrge you for additions that you request and give you a quote for those changes before making them. If they run into issues that they didnt see they should call you and let you know what happened. The shop I use has been fighting transmission issues to the point where they gave up with the transmission builder and went to another one. Th400 was in and out of my car more times than I can count and I have only driven it 10 mins. They NEVER asked me to pay to cover any part of the issue and even told me how sorry they were for the problem countless times. This issue is between them and the shop that they had build the trans so they didnt feel right asking me to cover anything and they are right it wouldnt have been. This is the type of shop you need to look for and that you will keep going back to.

I am sorry to hear about your problem but dont give up on the project. You just need to find a shop that you trust to do good work and be on the level with you.

Quagmire

Established Member
WTF car since APRIL? Does he have high school kids doing the install. Hell does he have middle school kids? DUDE WTF, yes they have ur car yes you prob love your car, but come on...... THE MATH IS SIMPLE you can buy a full built tune and prove 800 hp turbo car for just 30k. By the time ur done you are at 2/3s the cost in labor. I mean really i feel sad for you but then i don't cus you let them have your car for 5 months, for a turbo kit and tune shouldn't take a week to install at most. Hell if it was me after the first week i would be rattling the cages,

TRBO VNM

That is kinda good, but they have your car and have done work to it, so while you haven't authorized anything in writing, they have given you invoice(s) showing labor prices and it doesn't sound like you have told them to stop.

IMO, they need to stop until you and the shop agree on a final number and honestly, looking at this, I can tell you there probably isn't a number you both will agree upon that both parties are happy with.

I hate reading about this crap and people being taken advantage of. I have had other shops pm me pissed because I posted prices that I would charge for things. I could care less, screw shops like this. Where the hell is the fun for the customer and shop to have a completed car that everyone involved is happy with? Sure as hell not here for $20k in labor.

All I can say is good luck. You need to halt all work being done and work out the figures imo. And if you aren't happy, bring a trailer and get all your stuff and go somewhere else or learn to work on it yourself.

prostkr

Established Member
For a comparison I hand made this kit (headers and all) with costumer supplied parts for 3k. This was hand done for a combo nobody had any off the shelf parts for. This will give you and idea what fab work should cost. If I was to do this again I would charge 4500$ in labor, we broke slightly less than even on this one. But I was looking for a chance to do a high dollar car and cut him a break.

My build thread. shhakg making a come back BUILD THREAD! - Page 7

Satyr

Established Member
All I can say is good luck. You need to halt all work being done and work out the figures imo. And if you aren't happy, bring a trailer and get all your stuff and go somewhere else or learn to work on it yourself.

This. You need to get them to stop the work ASAP and agree on a price.

slidai

Established Member
I talked to the local ford dealership and i got a quote of $1,045 for short block install and TT install. However, it helps when you work at the company and only pay $15 a labor hour lol :dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread