throttle body help!!!!!

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
FYI it's gonna be a long post :)

I'm getting ready to send posi my tb and plenum to port and switched the TB with a used one I bought locally. I know you ask "why swap the one on the car and not just send the used one to posi??"

mine "looks" in better shape (i dunno, just want to use mine lol)

anyways swapped tb's and my car runs like crap.... it looks like my wide band is now reading backwards.... afr while cruising is 16's and when i let off it drops (rich) to 11.5 (used to be 14.7 ish cruising and when i went WOT it would be 11.5 and if i let off it would climb to 16ish but then correct itself to 14.7 ish... i know it fluctuates but to see it go high while cruising and go rich when letting off has me confused???) I haven't gone wot and won't til i get it corrected.

it won't idle and is really running rough... with high afr i'm guessing an air leak somehow??? anyone ever have this issue???? I'm at work now and will switch back to my tb in am and see if it runs normal again.

thanks for any answers

Last edited:

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
sorry i should have stated, but yeah basically swapped a stock tb for another stock tb.. that's what has me wondering why there's a problem. I will check both in the am, but was pretty sure when i bought the used one it was stock.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
gasket can go either way, it's identical top and bottom... gonna pull the "used" tb off and compare it to my tb to see if it's been ported (highly doubt it)

No it isn't. There is a slot for the IAC to breath thru. You probably have it on the bottom.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
switched back to my tb and same thing, so went digging a little and found the problem.

i have a jlt cai and where it goes through the inner fender it connects to a rubber elbow and down to the maf and filter...... it came apart at the elbow so basically it had the long tube from tb to fender and that's all :( so no MAF=car ecu doesn't know what to do...

no wonder afr's were all over the place.... just weird seeing it do the opposite (rich when letting off and lean wean just cruising) makes sense if ecu had no idea how much air was coming in

thanks for the replies, I had just swapped the tb's and then left for work and that's when I realized something was up, just needed more time to diagnose (after work)

cliff note: if car running whacked and afr's all OVER the place check your maf :)

Last edited:

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
No it isn't. There is a slot for the IAC to breath thru. You probably have it on the bottom.

don't think so, take a look at the gasket, it's a mirror image top to bottom

104_1764.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread