throttle body issues... please any advice!

SVTbaby

Established Member
hey guys.. im new to all of this but i have an issue and ive gotten a couple decent guesses from my guy friends if there possibly is any body else out there thats had this problem that would be wonderful!

i have a 2001 cobra and the mods ive done to it are your pretty basic mods... full exhaust headers back SLP high flow cats, flowmaster mufflers, BBK cold air intake and now the BBK 65mm throttle body. I have it lowered with wheels, caster camber plates, and a short throw shifter but those guys i dont think have any influence on my problem.

i just installed the throttle body myself today and i followed the directions to the T...

first off i had to adjust that little set screw cause it would f ire up and stall right out so i adjusted it a little bit and got it in a good spot but maybe some advice on where it should be too would be great, im think its supposed to be right under 1000 like 950 i thought...then i let it completely warm up for like 20 minutes and then i went to drive it around trhe block and I was going maybe like when i was doing like 35 downhill and down shifting as i stuck my foot on the clutch the sucker died while i was moving! it started right back up but now the dreaded SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on and wont go off. Also theres this little CHROME cyclinder (looks like a soleniod mini beer can shape) looking thing that looks like it goes into the entrance of throttle body to the intake manifold thats sits right behind it and it sounds like air is escaping from it when i cover my hand up over it can go away but when im driving it on the road it really sounds like air wheezing out of it only when my foot is on the gas...

any answers or advice would be great.. i was told because of the mods ive done and the air/fuel ratio my computer is freaking out and i need to reflash or get a chip or so mething like that but is that going to take the check engine light away?? im also thinking maybe i need a new MAF cause thats still stock and ive replaced the intake and TB?

thanks guys for any advice i get...

Zoe

:shrug:

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
is it bad? should i have that replaced as well?

By the set screw I assume you are refering to the TPS. Is it an accufab or BBK TB? The TPS needs to be set with a volt meter or using a handheld tuner to read the voltage. On an accufab an idle setting or about .98 is ideal.

IAC: Idle Air Control. They go bad all the time. Did you have it off? They run about $70 from the dealer.

djtech

Established Member
I agree, an aftermarket throttlebody isn't needed based on the mods in your sig. If you can return it, I would. I got a 62mm off of ebay years ago and am running the stocker.

Anyway, if you do decide to keep it installed, you don't need that idle screw to set your idle, the IAC is responsible for that. I'd back that screw all the way down and check all your connections and gaskets and make sure everything is installed right.

01 Venom

Established Member
Ya man ditch that throttle body, they are more headaches then they are worth. Even blown they go a long way. 472 RWHP here and stock throttle body. Like I tell everyone, if you want to do something in that area, get steggy to port the stock one. But really, there is no need to touch it. Its alot of money that could be spent else where.

But ya if the IAC is leaking it will cause that

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Yep, you will not need a TB unless you're blown and pushing 500+ horsies.

SN8KBYTE

Established Member
By the set screw I assume you are refering to the TPS. Is it an accufab or BBK TB? The TPS needs to be set with a volt meter or using a handheld tuner to read the voltage. On an accufab an idle setting or about .98 is ideal.

IAC: Idle Air Control. They go bad all the time. Did you have it off? They run about $70 from the dealer.

I think the OP is talking about the allen key set screw to adjust the idle not the tps. +1 on the idle air control valve. Buy it from the dealer not an autoparts store. I just replaced mine from Autozone and it leaked air worse than the one I was replacing. Get one from Ford.

SVTbaby

Established Member
Well, I dont want to put the stock one back on, I get a good little jump in throttle response when i give it to her... The IAC on the other hand, is it only leaking right now cause all the air being forced into the engine and its releasing it through that?? i went to auto zone and they checked the codes and said it was the TPS internally shorted but im assuming thats just what the computer thinks right now since it d oesnt know what to think. i bought a diablosport programmable tuner and its coming tomorrow, ill let you know what happens if i can get the CEL off!!! HAHA :)

NukeGuard

Established Member
Do as you wish, but there are a lot of people on here that are giving you great advice on what to do as far as your throttle body is concerned. Your feeling "...a good little jump in throttle response when you give it to her" because your brain can't contemplate that you just wasted money, and it is trying to hide that fact by falsely stimulating your senses that you actually gained something from this swap.

I can assure you that your BBK CAI and TB are not causing your IAC to release air because they are forcing so much in to your engine. The IAC controls your idle and should not be leaking. It doesn't release air. It just monitors/controls idle.

The computer thinks that your TPS isn't working properly because it probably isn't.

Now that the TPS is more than likely fried, here is what you should do:

1.Remove BBK TB and hope you can sell it
2.Install stock TB
3.Replace TPS
4.Replace IAC

SVTbaby

Established Member
ok ok let me just try the tuner and then i will replace the TPS and IAC... how about that?? i really dont wanna take that TB off. :( please why are you cryshing my dream here!! AHHAHAHAHAHA :)

Last edited:

SVTbaby

Established Member
yea im from oak harbor... unfortuantely, im stationed here. :(

oh yeah you are probably right, cause when i went to autozone today to have them read the code it said TPS internally shorted... so if the tuner doesnt reflash that and fix the problem should i buy a new TPS? the IAC now, since its got escaping air from it, should i get a new one of those as well? when i put the new TB on it and pushed that air all thru is that what probably blew it and now leaking? thanks for your help guys.. ill let you know tomorrowhow the tuner works out and ill also let you know how much the TPS and AIC cost to be replaced... hahah should i got to autozone or the dealership to get those 2 items???

Last edited:

NukeGuard

Established Member
Your TB and CAI did not push enough air to make your IAC leak. Your TB and CAI do not push air in to your engine. It gets sucked in to the engine. The only thing that is going to push air in to your intake is a supercharger or turbo.

On the IAC, you either
A) Didn't tighten it down all the way.
B) Messed up the gasket.
C) Somehow warped it (although I really don't see how that is actually possible)

I bought my IAC from Autozone and it's doing fine.

We're not trying to crush your dream. We're just trying to get you pointed in the right direction and tell you what works and what doesn't so that you're not wasting money on pointless mods.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Your TB and CAI did not push enough air to make your IAC leak. Your TB and CAI do not push air in to your engine. It gets sucked in to the engine. The only thing that is going to push air in to your intake is a supercharger or turbo.

On the IAC, you either
A) Didn't tighten it down all the way.
B) Messed up the gasket.
C) Somehow warped it (although I really don't see how that is actually possible)

I bought my IAC from Autozone and it's doing fine.

We're not trying to crush your dream. We're just trying to get you pointed in the right direction and tell you what works and what doesn't so that you're not wasting money on pointless mods.

+1 I know there are a couple threads and if you use the search function that a lot of people have spent a lot of time on trying to show flow rates and volumes of stock vs aftermarket TB and the real final conclusion is your money is spent best else where. If you dream is to have a cobra with that exact TB on there, then more power to you....if you want to just have a fast car, then take it off and put it towards soemthing else =]
and where the hell is Oak Harbor?

01 Venom

Established Member
ya man not trying to beat ya down, just telling ya from experience what works and what doesnt. All this crap that youre going through with this TB is all the reasons why many of us dont bother, not to mention there is little to no gain.

Any seat of the pants feel you experience could be in your head. it does happen

Users who are viewing this thread