throttle body spacer

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I'm not doubting the SOTP increase you felt, but exactly how does moving the throttle body out make more power? Is it the same as a intake manifold spacer by increasing the volume of air going in and staying inside the intake manifold?

2001cobravert

Established Member
So the only modification you had do was make the holes bigger to fit the 4V throttle body bolt size? Got any pics?

That was the only thing I had to change. I only have pics of it installed. I was able to keep cruise control but for some reason on my brothers Mach 1 the cc cable wasn't long enough. :shrug:

Note: this may not work with all cold air intakes. Meaning the tube coming off the throttle body may rub against the strut tower. I am using a jlt ram air and the elbow is rubber so no worries there.

2001cobravert

Established Member
I'm not doubting the SOTP increase you felt, but exactly how does moving the throttle body out make more power? Is it the same as a intake manifold spacer by increasing the volume of air going in and staying inside the intake manifold?

From the AM website:
"More Power. This simple bolt-on from Stack Racing will increase your mustangs plenum volume to increase horsepower and torque by up to 10HP/10lb ft lbs on a stock GT, a supercharged vehicle will see even higher increases''.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I installed one when I installed the vornado and an electric supercharger, did them all at the same time. Very noticeable gains atleast 20 hp.

I also installed those magnetic things on my fuel line to align the fuel molecules so they fuel would burn cleaner. picked up 12 mpg.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
2001cobravert said:
From the AM website:
"More Power. This simple bolt-on from Stack Racing will increase your mustangs plenum volume to increase horsepower and torque by up to 10HP/10lb ft lbs on a stock GT, a supercharged vehicle will see even higher increases''.

No offense, but a claim from the manufacturer means nothing, especially when we are talking about relatively small gains here. They could easily do a test w/ the spacer on, and then test w/o the spacer... but by then the car is hot as hell so of course HP is going to go down.

Dyno numbers are easy to skew, so thats why its key to get a 3rd party. Take cold air intakes for example - I can guaran-damn-tee that when testing those, a lot of cars have their old air filter full of dirt and are run on the dyno for a baseline. Then they put on the cold air intake and get a lot of power, but most of those gains are just from having a clean vs. dirty filter, and from a high-flow unit vs. a paper one. How much did the actual cold air intake tract itself make? Probably negligble, especially on a car like ours that pulls cool air from the fender anyway.

I installed one when I installed the vornado and an electric supercharger, did them all at the same time. Very noticeable gains atleast 20 hp.
I also installed those magnetic things on my fuel line to align the fuel molecules so they fuel would burn cleaner. picked up 12 mpg.

You forgot the HHO system, and the magic Ford 5.0 that gets 100eMPG :lol1:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A total waste of money. The only reason you felt a SOTP gains is because your wallet is $75 lighter.

Last edited:

merc lover

Established Member
Hello,

I need to run a TB spacer, to clear my passenger side valve cover.

I repeat, this is NOT for any performance, I need it to space the TB out more so that I can run my JLT intake.

I am using B-head valve covers on C heads with a Mach 1 intake. I cannot run an intake spacer because of the way my fuel rails are set up.

There are only a couple companies that make these spacers, and I really don't want to get raped on price. $75 is no big deal to me, I need to get this done so I can drive the car.

My question is:
How thick is this TB spacer? I need at least 1/2" more room, could someone please measure their spacer and let me know if it is at least 1/2" thick?

Thanks so much!

merc lover

Established Member
You are the man, thanks so much for that link. I'm ordering it now, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm hoping this doesn't cause trottle cable problems, but if I need to get some milled off, that's always an option.

Thanks again, I can always count on SVTP!

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Hell, for that cheap I might just pick one up to, will give me a little something to tinker with while my wife is out of town.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
This mod isn't worthy of it's own thread, so I figured I'd just bump this one up from a few days ago and say that I did indeed go ahead and order this from Summit and got it installed today. And yes, I am aware that this mod is worth next to nothing, but it was cheap and I figured what the hell.

Install is straightforward - the only two things I had to go out and get to make this work on the Cobra is a pair of longer bolts to secure the throttle cable bracket on the opposite side of where it mounts stock, plus 1/4" spacers so that the bracket would be moved an inch to coincide with the amount the throttle body was moved (this will make more sense in the pics). The kit comes with two small metal brackets to offset the cable bracket, but being that this is a spacer that is made for more than one model Ford, they wouldn't work on the Cobra manifold. The two bolts and the two 1/4" spacers were less than $1.50, no big deal.

Anyway, just remove the intake and tilt it up out of the way, remove the throttle body (I cleaned the inside up with some brake cleaner while it was off), install the spacer with the two new gaskets provided, move the cable bracket, then re-install the intake. I didn't have any clearance issues with the next-gen JLT intake I have installed.

For what it's worth, I will say that the spacer is machined well and the ports match up perfectly with the throttle body.

Here are pics:

Before:

422284_3949965260044_1531914222_n.jpg

During:

482045_3949965900060_890655439_n.jpg

Finished:

574701_3949966180067_30856172_n.jpg

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
This is by far the biggest waste of money I've seen. If you're sensing a gain in power it's only because your wallet is lighter.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
This mod isn't worthy of it's own thread, so I figured I'd just bump this one up from a few days ago and say that I did indeed go ahead and order this from Summit and got it installed today. And yes, I am aware that this mod is worth next to nothing, but it was cheap and I figured what the hell.

This is by far the biggest waste of money I've seen. If you're sensing a gain in power it's only because your wallet is lighter.

:read:

I was bored on a Friday afternoon - my wife is out of town and the in-laws had my son. :shrug:

For what it's worth, I haven't driven the car yet and don't expect a difference, I just enjoy turning wrenches.

fangs99

Established Member
A bigger tb isn't worth much on the cars stock ( except a little sharper response )... So this has to be about pointless.

4a7191a

Established Member
i was thinking that the spacer might solve some of the issues with the accufab throttle body. if you compare it to a stock TB the accufab isnt as lenthty as the stock. so that extra inch the spacer gives might help out with the sticking issue. never tried it. but with my mods im sure a bigger throttle body might do some good now. might be a winter time boredom wrench turning tinkering thing to try for me.

Users who are viewing this thread