throttle body spacer

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
OK, sorry it's been a while but I work a lot and have very little time to do stuff lol.

Here is a decent pic showing why I am trying to use a spacer to get me out of a jam:

See how close the TB is to that bung in the center of the valve cover? It won't fit the JLT intake tube, so I wanted to space it out a little to clear that.

Here is how it ended up, after the spacer:

It clears the bung now but is awfully close to that plastic elbow.
I trimmed the grommet down and that seemed to help a lot, I think I can get it to work by milling the spacer some so that the JLT attaches in the gap between the elbow and the bung.

Here's a pic of the bolts and how they were too long for my application:

notice how long the shank is on the bolt, it bottomed out on the shank before the TB was tightened down to the spacer.

I think I might have the wrong throttle body, I'm going to try switching them out and maybe a little grinding to see what I can do.

Thanks guys for your input.

Your throttle body is different from ours.

merc lover

Established Member
Your throttle body is different from ours.

Yup!

Thanks on that, at the end of my post I alluded to maybe having the wrong throttle body, I have one hopefully on the way.
Would be great if this solved my issue and I could move forward.
This car needs to be up and running soon!

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
This throttle body spacer seems like more bullshit than it's worth. Too bad, I would like a real throttle body spacer.

merc lover

Established Member
OK, thought I'd post an update, sorry I've been super busy with work and the new house.

So I used some studs and nuts to position the throttle body in an adjustable way, to find out how much material I needed to remove from my TB spacer. Turns out that making the spacer thinner really didn't help at all with clearance. So the spacer will remain the full 1" thickness. I did get the proper TB:

And drilled the spacer for the IAC air supply:

After cutting down the grommet even more, and heating and bending the plastic elbow, I was finally able to fit the JLT to the throttle body. It's not perfect, but it will work.

If my valve covers/timing cover weren't matched powdercoat, I would definitely have TIG-welded something different, and moved this port away from the center of the valve cover. Either that or just went with COP valve covers.

Users who are viewing this thread