tick tick tick tick... eaton swapped Mach

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
So yesterday i was coming home from a car show and had a liitle fun with a new purple challenger.. after we cleaned things up and they turned off the road, i noticed when i was giving it gas lightly i started hearing some ticking. i know the head tick issues and no its more than that. At idle when i had the hood popped i stuck my ear close to the heas to see which side it was coming from and it seemed like the drivers side.

This car is tuned an has a fatter fuel curve to have a "safe" tune on it. But im blown on what it could be. Ive read around but haven quite found the info i was looking for and am planning on finding a ford dealer near by to have them try and figure out what it is. But id like some thoughts from you all on how to help diagnose the problem. There isnt any power loss (not getting into boost, but giving it gas up to ~0 psi) so no wot pulls. Theres isnt any hesitation, or shaking or anything just tick tick tick tick. ill try and get a video up soon.

Thanks

possibilities:

not probable causes:
Injector tick

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Exhaust leak? Check for simple things first before assuming the worst.

boltonmach1

Established Member
Do you think it could be coming from the belt drive system, tensioner?

maybe the challenger gave your car the herpes?

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Its stock manifolds with a bassani 5 piece catted x pipe and borla stingers catback. I remember when i had a leak where one of the cats was connected, but i will double check around the manifolds for the black plague.

And haha on the herpes!, but it was more of a pinging than an air "tisk" sound.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Do you think it could be coming from the belt drive system, tensioner?

maybe the challenger gave your car the herpes?

haha^ But i dont think its the tensioner. when i was leanin over the engine bay to get a closer listen it sounded like it was on the sides rather than the front of the engine.

monX

Established Member
+2 on the exhaust leak, it could be coming from the headers from possibly a blown gasket...

What headers do you have?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Did you do the cooling mod during this swap? The drivers side heads, even the revised ones, still have less than optimal cooling. Adding a blower (big azz heat pump) and racing at high speeds can cause probs.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
^^continued

Especially the heatons. What intake are you using? Tell me it's not an open element filter sitting there next to the engine......

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Intake is a JLT filter with the stock terminator elbow with a heat shield (stock Mach1 with the opening for the shaker input but obviously no piping or shaker. The weather was and is cool right now (philly).

No head cooling mod, but i do have an open thermostat making the coolant continue to flow. Even when highway driving and when its cold/cool out, the engine temp gauge stays on the cooler side, and has never went passed the middle mark. I know its not a fantastic gauge to get the best read. Also the pump continually runs when the car is on.

Stock headers (59,300 miles)- Bassani 5 piece catted x pipe, Borla stinger catback.

I just took some videos of the sound and a little walk around. Just waiting for them to load to Youtube. When you listen turn the volume up pretty high in the videos (4) and you can hear the ticking. Have video from outside and inside the car to try and get the best sample

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
When a thermostat is used like that, the radiator isn't given enough time to properly cool the coolant.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
When a thermostat is used like that, the radiator isn't given enough time to properly cool the coolant.

even if its continually flowing? I would think it would keep it at a cooler level thanif it were closed, heated, and then opened to circulate. Wouldnt i see an adjustment of the temp gauge more to the hot side? thanks

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
even if its continually flowing? I would think it would keep it at a cooler level thanif it were closed, heated, and then opened to circulate. Wouldnt i see an adjustment of the temp gauge more to the hot side? thanks

No. It should not be used like that. You might get away with it like that in cold air, especially on the highway with air being pressed into the radiator, but when you are sitting still it's all up to the fan and it's not going to work well. Even in cold temperatures.

You need to keep in mind some things about the Mach 1 rods and pistons:

The pistons will work well under realistic boost levels (10psi and below). Cast and hypers melt at nearly the same temp as forged. BUT, they dont hold up to detonation like forged will. A motor being improperly cooled, and on top of that taking in hot air temps (open hole in your heat shield) is no bueno. Our stock rods will not last long under detonation like forged will, either.

In a nutshell, if you are going to play with fire, you should do things exactly right. You don't have room for error like terminators do. I would suggest pulling the plugs in he driver's side bank and have a look. A leak down test would also be a inexpensive/smart idea.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCxuYWvfQY"]YouTube - Mach1 Engine Tick 6[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC19o38N-M8"]YouTube - Mach1 Engine tick 5[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNFmU6B8W6A"]YouTube - Mach1 engine tick 4[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmCZE_5P8g"]YouTube - Mach1 engine tick 3[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HpvWhSi4U"]YouTube - Mach1 engine tick 2[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNIRjoe3qNI"]YouTube - Mach1 engine tick[/nomedia]

Last edited:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Did you do the cooling mod during this swap? The drivers side heads, even the revised ones, still have less than optimal cooling. Adding a blower (big azz heat pump) and racing at high speeds can cause probs.

never heard of that. any info?

no real info i guess. mine did it with the stock 39s. asked my tuner and he said he has seen cobras have the same problem. mine went away. get a auto stelescope and just start touching it everywhere on the motor and youll be able to tell more of where the tick is comin from. i checked my fuel rails and it was loud. mine was loud enough that with the radio half way up i could hear it driving around.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
no real info i guess. mine did it with the stock 39s. asked my tuner and he said he has seen cobras have the same problem. mine went away. get a auto stelescope and just start touching it everywhere on the motor and youll be able to tell more of where the tick is comin from. i checked my fuel rails and it was loud. mine was loud enough that with the radio half way up i could hear it driving around.

a stelescope?? or a stethoscope like the docotrs use?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
haha yea a auto stethoscope.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/MECHANICS-STETHOSCOPE-ENGINE-DIAGNOSTIC-AUTO/dp/B002A1IQ58]Amazon.com: NEW MECHANICS STETHOSCOPE ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC AUTO TOOL: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread