tick tick tick tick... eaton swapped Mach

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
That doesn't sound like injectors. I can hear the injectors in second video in the list. "engine tick video 3". It's the very faint clicking sound you can always hear that's really fast. It's made that noise since before you put the eaton on.

Pull the plugs. Report back.

Last edited:

Stephen4036

Established Member
um.. thats how my rod bearing started to go.. slight rattle tick, then a machine gun like noise 2 weaks later.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
That doesn't sound like injectors. I can hear the injectors in second video in the list. "engine tick video 3". It's the very faint clicking sound you can always hear that's really fast. It's made that noise since before you put the eaton on.

I didnt have a chance to look at the vids

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
I may need to get a video of mine, it has full exhaust un tuned, and has a BAD rattle somewhat like yours, i have 50k miles and have owned the car for the past 4k. My guess is valve ratlle? It does it when its cold sometimes real bad, but i dont notice it much once its warm. :(

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member

Will do, i have a schedualed appt with Ford tomorrow afternoon. Im gonna see if they can diagnose it without taking it apart that way i can somewhat get an estimate

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
I took off and out the drivers side COP and spark plugs. The plug 1 and 2 starting from the front of the engine looked good. Plug 3 and 4 had some oil on them. I wiped off the oil and reinstalled the plugs, started it up, and the intial high rev of the start up had the ticking come back, but once it settled and i gave it gas slowly, it didnt seem to be as noticeable or even being able to hear it. But once i let it warm up, the tick was back when i slowly gave it gas again.

2010-11-01_11-57-58_77.gif

3rd plug
2010-11-01_11-58-57_373.gif

4th plug
2010-11-01_11-59-35_264.gif

plug 3-4
2010-11-01_12-00-00_826.gif

3rd COP
2010-11-01_12-02-01_37.gif

4th COP
2010-11-01_12-02-34_569.gif

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
How is your oil level? spark slap???? idk they look fine to me slap wise

low, i do have a good oil leak coming from the front cover that im in the midst of trying to take care of. I added 2 quarts of oil today and let it sit and run and then drove it back home from advanced. It sounded like it helped it out a bit, but its still there. Im waiting till this weekend where i can do an oil change hopefully, but if its not recommened i wait, ill take it down the street to jiffy lube. But i was hoping to drain the oil and check it and how much oil is coming out.

the plugs probably have 2k or so miles on them. i only git tuned 4 weeks ago

I hope it isn't, but it sounds like a rod.

i hope not. what makes you think that?

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
after listening to vid 6 and 3 i think it does sound like a rod but in other vids it doesnt. :shrug: If its a rod then it would always be there. dont really think it would start knocking then stop.

Not sure if it has been asked but hows oil pressure and have you done a compression check? if its a rod then oil pressure would norm be low.

I would still spend the 10 dollars or so and get a auto stethoscope and check EVERYTHING out. If it is a rod then it would be loud when you touch the oil pan. It would just help to pen point where the tick is comin from.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
after listening to vid 6 and 3 i think it does sound like a rod but in other vids it doesnt. :shrug: If its a rod then it would always be there. dont really think it would start knocking then stop.

Not sure if it has been asked but hows oil pressure and have you done a compression check? if its a rod then oil pressure would norm be low.

I would still spend the 10 dollars or so and get a auto stethoscope and check EVERYTHING out. If it is a rod then it would be loud when you touch the oil pan. It would just help to pen point where the tick is comin from.

I have not done a compression check, not sure how to really. what tools do i need? how is it done? The oil guage on the cluster is dead center and hasnt moved anywhere or even when givingit gas. It only drops when the cars off of course. I meant to grab a stehoscope while i was there but it slipped my mind:bash:

the tacking is starting right aroun 1800rpm and holds till a little over 3500rpm, and then after its kinda hard to hear with the exhaust and all.

Monster Mach

Established Member
the low oil probably didnt help.. that could be the cause.. after listening to it on a good computer.. deff sounds like rod knock.. its a heavy knock not a tick...

DarkMach1

Established Member
low, i do have a good oil leak coming from the front cover that im in the midst of trying to take care of. I added 2 quarts of oil today and let it sit and run and then drove it back home from advanced. It sounded like it helped it out a bit, but its still there. Im waiting till this weekend where i can do an oil change hopefully, but if its not recommened i wait, ill take it down the street to jiffy lube. But i was hoping to drain the oil and check it and how much oil is coming out.

the plugs probably have 2k or so miles on them. i only git tuned 4 weeks ago

i hope not. what makes you think that?

Well, from the video its kinda hard to hear. Its not an exhaust leak, its not an injector since an injector is more of a faint tick/hissing, this seems like an actual knock as heard on video 4 or 5(dont remember), its solid and deep.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
:cuss::cryying::uh oh::cuss::fm:

i have an appointment with Ford on Wed at 10 am. Hopefully have them do a diagnostic without taking to much apart. Anybody guess what and how they will diagnose? Tryning to get a price.

And suggestions on what to do to fix the entire situation?

Users who are viewing this thread