Ticket 2 hours after buying '03 Cobra...

ZXnVS

Established Member
None of the dealers in my area were willing to sell a new Cobra for MSRP, so I drove about 250 miles to Portland, OR.

Picked up my shiny new Sonic Blue coupe and headed home with the girlfriend driving behind in my old car. It was the middle of the day, perfect weather, perfect visibility, divided highway, two lanes each way, and light traffic. About halfway home I got pulled over for doing 81 in a 65. My V1 didn't help since the guy was using laser (who knew they had laser in Oregon? :shrug: ).

I immediately pulled over and was very polite to the officer. I told him I had just bought the car (obviously). He asked for proof of insurance. WTF?! How am I supposed to have proof of insurance on a car I bought two hours ago? I told him my current insurance card was in the car my girlfriend was driving (she pulled over, too).

Anyway, he gave me the ticket. I thought there was an unwritten rule: you have absolute amnesty from tickets on the first day of owning a new sports car. :coolman:

But seriously. I know two cops: one's an Oregon State Trooper, one's a city cop in a Seattle suburb. Both said they would have given a written warning under the circumstances. I just had to vent.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Man what a prick. I fully respect and appreciate all police officers for what they do but that's horseshit. That's like giving out a ticket on Christmas.

Ginsu

Established Member
That is the thing, so cops will not give breaks at all. If that was me and exspecially on the highway I would have probably just given you a verbal warning and sent you on your way. Sorry to hear that!

Cobra#2885

Established Member
Here in Texas when you buy a new or used car. The Dealership will not let you drive off the lot without Car insurance. You must have it before you can take delivery of the car.

1qwkpny

Established Member
If "you" have full coverage most insurance companies will cover "you" no matter what "you" are driving. Atleast thats what my diff. agents over the years have said to me. Abouth cops, some are honestly out there to serve and protect , others are those geeks from high school that just want to be a prick b/c the now have the "authority" to do so and if anyone tries to kick there ass then they are really gonna get it. I speak from experience as two guys I went to school with are troopers now. Oh boy are they aholes.

pohnpei

Established Member
dude, I know how it's like, I got pulled over the very first day I got my 97Cobra, I was so excited I couldn't resist..too bad I neglected to notice the Unmarked Squad under the overpass..no traffic, he just gave me a warning given I still had the stickers on it..hehe..

Steve

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
Man what a prick. I fully respect and appreciate all police officers for what they do but that's horseshit. That's like giving out a ticket on Christmas.
JOel,

He forgot to use your favorite line!!!

BTW man that really sucks :(

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 1qwkpny
If "you" have full coverage most insurance companies will cover "you" no matter what "you" are driving. Atleast thats what my diff. agents over the years have said to me. Abouth cops, some are honestly out there to serve and protect , others are those geeks from high school that just want to be a prick b/c the now have the "authority" to do so and if anyone tries to kick there ass then they are really gonna get it. I speak from experience as two guys I went to school with are troopers now. Oh boy are they aholes.
PO's are not there to serve and protect, that's just PR. If they were there to protect, you should be able to sue if you were assaulted or robbed, because they obviously weren't "protecting" you.

State Farm, in CA, covers you in your new car until you get a specific policy for it. I'm not sure of the time frame or the specific details outside of CA.

Most LEO's I've ran into are cool, although there are some municipalities which have a reputation for being pricks around here, and that's from other LEO's too.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
PO's are not there to serve and protect, that's just PR. If they were there to protect, you should be able to sue if you were assaulted or robbed, because they obviously weren't "protecting" you.

State Farm, in CA, covers you in your new car until you get a specific policy for it. I'm not sure of the time frame or the specific details outside of CA.

Most LEO's I've ran into are cool, although there are some municipalities which have a reputation for being pricks around here, and that's from other LEO's too.

I tend to feel I'm protecting when I pull a drunk driver off the street, or a gun out of a car on a traffic stop, or drugs off the street, or break up a fight involving weapons, or even stop someone for a traffic offense.

Why?

I'm protecting the drunk from killing himself when he crashes, or someone else that he might hit and kill. The victim who gets killed by the drive by using the gun, the person who would have overdosed, the people robbed by the crackhead that isn't in jail, the person and family of the guy killed or permanently injured in a fight that gets way out of hand from your regular couple of punches and that's it. Even the person killed by the person who flies through a stop light or stop sign, or exceeding the speed limit by an extremely high rate of speed thinkin, "I won't get a ticket."

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by hillie16
I tend to feel I'm protecting
The function of the Police is not to protect, it is to enforce the law. Do you agree with this statemet?

If you disagree, I wont discuss this further with you as your Philosophy is diametrically opposed to mine.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
There are TONS of things we do that aren't enforcing the law. Yes enforcing the law is part of our job, but not 100% of it, and when some laws are enforce, they are for the protection of others...therefore...

To Serve and Protect.

i8u

Established Member
It is hard for me to have a good opinion of cops. Especially after dealing with Sergant Prince of the Frontnac Police department.

I'm sitting in a left turn lane behind other cars. The light changes and I follow the other cars making a left onto a two lane road. 50 feet later.... Suddenly Little guy w/big guy syndrome ( sergant Prince) Jumps out of some bushes in front off me causing me to slam on my brakes telling me to pull over. I make a rt onto a lot where his car was and stop in front of it. He walks over and says he pulled me over cause I didn't signal. WTF! I had a arrow and was following traffic! He was also saying I was getting a ticket cause I had my Plate in the window and not mounted. Okay so I figure I'll get some tickets. He tells me to get out of the car and sit in his car. I know I didn't Have too but I wasn't trying to piss him off so I got out and sat in his passenger seat right next to his shotgun. He was suprised when he found out I was not some teen age punk as he must have thought. Commented obout my age several times. He was asking me questions like what do you do for a living. He was laughing and getting a kick out of it. He then asks me If I have a phone. I say no. He askes if my girlfried in the car has one. I say yes. He tell's me to go get it. Once back w/ the phone he wants me to call my father. I do cause my father is a cool guy and I figured he would see what a ass this guy was being. just trying not to give him anything to wet his pants over. He starts talking about How i made a illegal left turn. I hear him ask my father what he does for a living. He then says he will give me a written warning. He gets off the phone And starts talking to me about how I'm so lucky he is not going to give me a ticket. After I agree with him he Lets me go. What an ass! I wish I new my rights. I would have rather been a dick back and taken a few tickets.
He never gave me a written warning either.
Can and should I complain?

Can I send frontnac police dept the bill for his ten minute conversation on my girlfriends Phone?

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
It is hard for me to have a good opinion of cops. Especially after dealing with Sergant Prince of the Frontnac Police department.

I'm sitting in a left turn lane behind other cars. The light changes and I follow the other cars making a left onto a two lane road. 50 feet later.... Suddenly Little guy w/big guy syndrome ( sergant Prince) Jumps out of some bushes in front off me causing me to slam on my brakes telling me to pull over. I make a rt onto a lot where his car was and stop in front of it. He walks over and says he pulled me over cause I didn't signal. WTF! I had a arrow and was following traffic! He was also saying I was getting a ticket cause I had my Plate in the window and not mounted. Okay so I figure I'll get some tickets. He tells me to get out of the car and sit in his car. I know I didn't Have too but I wasn't trying to piss him off so I got out and sat in his passenger seat right next to his shotgun. He was suprised when he found out I was not some teen age punk as he must have thought. Commented obout my age several times. He was asking me questions like what do you do for a living. He was laughing and getting a kick out of it. He then asks me If I have a phone. I say no. He askes if my girlfried in the car has one. I say yes. He tell's me to go get it. Once back w/ the phone he wants me to call my father. I do cause my father is a cool guy and I figured he would see what a ass this guy was being. just trying not to give him anything to wet his pants over. He starts talking about How i made a illegal left turn. I hear him ask my father what he does for a living. He then says he will give me a written warning. He gets off the phone And starts talking to me about how I'm so lucky he is not going to give me a ticket. After I agree with him he Lets me go. What an ass! I wish I new my rights. I would have rather been a dick back and taken a few tickets.
He never gave me a written warning either.
Can and should I complain?

Can I send frontnac police dept the bill for his ten minute conversation on my girlfriends Phone?
That's because they're doing OTHER than enforcing the law. See how that works hillie? Probably not.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
:rollseyes
So lemme get this straight...one bad apple ruins the bunch right? Let's cry and whine and moan cuz we DIDN'T get a ticket. You did the right thing during the stop though, which is probably why. Did the guy act like an ass? Yeah. Did he violate your rights? No. And where is Frontnac, BTW? Is that Missouri, too?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Jesus Christ!!!

You assholes need to stop whining all the freaking time about motor vehicle stops and how the cops are mean and how the cop is an asshole, etc. Grow the heck up and realize life isnt fair and there are dickheads in every profession. And unless you decide to live under a rock you will be forced to deal with people you dont like that are often in positions of authority. Deal with it. Get used to it and try to be happy regardless.

As far as making a complaint for not getting a ticket or a written warning, you would be the first!!! They would laugh their asses off at you.

As for sending them a bill for the ten minute phone call, photocopy your bill send it to me and I will pay for the ten minute phone call. Where should I send your $3?

Let me give some of you people a little ****ing perspective here.

Yesterday it was 99 degrees here in New Jersey with a ton of humidity, the heat index was 110. I went to visit one of my former friends wives. I call him a former friend, because I played Hockey with him on a team called the "Five 0" made of all LEOs and he is no longer with us.

Tommy died on September 11th 2001 at the World Trade Center. He was off that day and he got the call that a lot of us got, which was every available LEO, Medic, and Fireman was to return to work. It was his day off, but he went there and since he was a Port Authority cop, he went right to the Precinct at the bottom of Tower 1. After stopping two subway trains and diverting them, he went to back to the building and was told to evacuate, but instead he stayed and helped a shit load more people out of the building, including carrying a wheelchair bound man down fourteen flights of stairs. On his way back in, the Tower came down on him.

We looked and prayed for Tommy for days, weeks and months. Then they found his body.

So, I spent yesterday rounding up his widow and orphaned kids to take them to my home for a day in the Air Conditioning and a BBQ and time swimming in my pool.

I sat and spoke with his widow, Michelle, for hours about how the kids are trying to adjust and how she is lost without Tommy. I felt like crap for being alive. It gives a lot of perspective, especially about a man that did his job so well and gave his life so others could live. And I am sure there are people out there that thought Tommy was a dick and gave them a hard time too.

So, until you do a job where you risk your life everyday for people you dont know and get paid crap to do that job, you should give these officers a break.

Hulk

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

So, until you do a job where you risk your life everyday for people you dont know and get paid crap to do that job, you should give these officers a break.

:thumbsup:

When God Made Police Officers

When the Lord was creating peace officers, he was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."
And the Lord said, "Have you read the spec on this order? A peace officer has to be able to run five miles through alleys in the dark, scale walls, enter homes the health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle his uniform.
"He has to be able to sit in an undercover car all day on a stakeout, cover a homicide scene that night, canvass the neighborhood for witnesses, and testify in court the next day.
"He has to be in top physical condition at all times, running on black coffee and half-eaten meals. And he has to have six pairs of hands."
The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands... no way."
"It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "it's the three pairs of eyes an officer has to have."
"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.
The Lord nodded. One pair that sees through a bulge in a pocket before he asks, "May I see what's in there, sir?" (When he already knows and wishes he'd taken that accounting job.) "Another pair here in the side of his head for his partners' safety. And another pair of eyes here in front that can look reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say, 'You'll be all right ma'am, when he knows it isn't so."
"Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."
"I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can talk a 250 pound drunk into a patrol car without incident and feed a family of five on a civil service paycheck."
The angel circled the model of the peace officer very slowly, "Can it think?" she asked.
"You bet," said the Lord. "It can tell you the elements of a hundred crimes; recite Miranda warnings in its sleep; detain, investigate, search, and arrest a gang member on the street in less time than it takes five learned judges to debate the legality of the stop... and still it keeps its sense of humor.
This officer also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with crime scenes painted in hell, coax a confession from a child abuser, comfort a murder victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how law enforcement isn't sensitive to the rights of criminal suspects."
Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the peace officer. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."
"That's not a leak," said the lord, "it's a tear."
"What's the tear for?" asked the angel.
"It's for bottled-up emotions, for fallen comrades, for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the American flag, for justice."
"You're a genius," said the angel.
The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there," he said.

Anonymous

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Jesus Christ!!!

1.Do you really think I was going to complain about not getting the ticket? I was talking about the officer's unprofessional way of dealing w/ the traffic stop.

As for sending them a bill for the ten minute phone call, photocopy your bill send it to me and I will pay for the ten minute phone call. Where should I send your $3?
2.Okay you can pay for the bill. By the way the phone is regestered in florida. So it was a long distance call.. Plus that call caused here to exceed her monthly minutes. So it won't be just $3
Where should I send it since your so glad to pay it.

3. Sorry to hear about your friend tommy. I recently lost my twin brother. He was a student at NYU. So at least I can relate in one way.

4. I don't feel that all cops are bad. I have known other officers that were fair, Honest, and Hard working. Those officers desearve a lot more respect than they get for what they do. It's too bad that there are the few bad apples in every profession that give everyone else a bad reputation. Thank Sergant Prince of the frontnac police dept (in st. louis) for helping you honest cops get a bad rep.

:beer:

i8u

Established Member
A couple of questions:

Did he have the right to order me in his car?

Did He have the right to use my passengers phone?

Don't cops have their own phones?

Did I have the right to say no in any instances?

I realize that by doing what he said I avoided two tickets. But now I feel the two tickets were worth it if I could have made the confrontation end sooner.

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
The function of the Police is not to protect, it is to enforce the law. Do you agree with this statemet?

heh, according to some officers i've spoken to, it's their apparent right to interpret the law as well.

i was always under the impression that the legislative branch of the government (i.e., judges, lawyers) were charged with interpreting laws?

who knew?

Users who are viewing this thread