Ticketed for loud exhaust

sonic 02

Established Member
But, but, but.... the Chief said it was OK!

:lol1:

OP's age probably ends in 'teen, and if it doesn't he sure acts like it does. He'll have to learn this one the hard way like every other clueless kid.

No I'm 45 and i haven't had a violation in 20 years. How is buying a car with an exhaust on and contacting local police to see if it is to loud acting like someone in thier teens. Like I said in another post the car was modded by Roush.

ModularFan

Established Member
Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Really my car went to Roush after it was built and they modded it exhaust and a few other things, so your saying that's illegal it's not factory.

Roush is not the factory is it? It wasnt sent there by Ford, but by an individual dealer, still not the factory.

Tyler72

Established Member
Most aftermarket companies such as Roush would not be able to equip a vehicle to be sold through a dealer if it was not 50 state legal. The OP never said it was an O/R X-Pipe, he just said an x-pipe. If its a Roush installed unit, it is probably catted. In my opinion, what the officer did was legal, and he was doing his job. The law clearly states that if its not of a factory type, its not legal... but that is still arguable, because certain vehicles probably came with similar exhaust systems from the factory, and again, With it being a Roush installed product, its probably designed to meet decibel requirements in all states.

I would call the chief and see what he says, but you'll probably end up paying the fine. However, he might say something to the officer and prevent it from happening to others.

ModularFan

Established Member
Most aftermarket companies such as Roush would not be able to equip a vehicle to be sold through a dealer if it was not 50 state legal. The OP never said it was an O/R X-Pipe, he just said an x-pipe. If its a Roush installed unit, it is probably catted. In my opinion, what the officer did was legal, and he was doing his job. The law clearly states that if its not of a factory type, its not legal... but that is still arguable, because certain vehicles probably came with similar exhaust systems from the factory, and again, With it being a Roush installed product, its probably designed to meet decibel requirements in all states.

I would call the chief and see what he says, but you'll probably end up paying the fine. However, he might say something to the officer and prevent it from happening to others.

A dealer can sell a vehicle however they like, And it doesn't have to be an O/R X-pipe, if its not factory it isn't legal it's as simple as that, most of the time, AM companies will put 50 state legal for marketing reasons, it doesn't mean its legal, it goes the same with CARB stickers. again it's only a marketing gimick. Most of the time they will put in small print for off-road use only, meaning the track.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
it goes the same with CARB stickers. again it's only a marketing gimick.
if it's a legitimate CARB sticker etc it IS legal in California on your vehicle..

Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
A dealer can sell a vehicle however they like, And it doesn't have to be an O/R X-pipe, if its not factory it isn't legal it's as simple as that, most of the time, AM companies will put 50 state legal for marketing reasons, it doesn't mean its legal, it goes the same with CARB stickers. again it's only a marketing gimick. Most of the time they will put in small print for off-road use only, meaning the track.

This is false

johnjon87

Established Member
Im in the same boat as well a leo stopped me at the begginig of last month saying that in his opinion my car was too loud. he didnt test anything or look under the car. They say in VA that were not suppose to change anything on the exhaust but the law is pretty vague.. bassically what my lawyer and I gathered was you can change it.. it just has to be similar to the stock exhasut meaning decibel levels have to be the same.. I talked to another leo around here at a meet and he told me that those police officers who wrote you and I a ticket is what gives police officers a bad name. He told me that it is petty but you can be ticketed for it. I guess at the end of the day Im still thinking about going to court but it will be a waste of a day at work and more money to just pay the ticket..

va boy

Established Member
Might be cheaper in the long run to pay the fine. IF you go over this guys head to the Chief, he may have it in for you for a looong time. Just another way to think about it?
Good luck.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Put it this way OP, Any alteration to any federally mandated emissions equipment is in fact illegal, that's including intakes as well. If it's not stock its not legal Period

This has me worried if it's really true.

I have an 02 GT which has some internal damage to one of the mufflers (stock exhaust). Sounds like one of the baffles may have deteriorated or come loose. It's getting very loud and I want to replace it, but I don't want to spend the $700+ for a new stock exhaust system.

I can get a complete Flowmaster catback with quiet three chamber series 50 mufflers for $400 and that's what I planned on doing. That system is as quiet as stock.

If I do this, then is my car not "legal" anymore?

Hell, if you bring any car to an exhaust shop, like Midas or Merlin and they put on a non-factory part, which they do all the time, they basically make the car illegal. This is the jist of what I'm getting by reading this thread.

ModularFan

Established Member
This has me worried if it's really true.

I have an 02 GT which has some internal damage to one of the mufflers (stock exhaust). Sounds like one of the baffles may have deteriorated or come loose. It's getting very loud and I want to replace it, but I don't want to spend the $700+ for a new stock exhaust system.

I can get a complete Flowmaster catback with quiet three chamber series 50 mufflers for $400 and that's what I planned on doing. That system is as quiet as stock.

If I do this, then is my car not "legal" anymore?

Hell, if you bring any car to an exhaust shop, like Midas or Merlin and they put on a non-factory part, which they do all the time, they basically make the car illegal. This is the jist of what I'm getting by reading this thread.

Shops will do anything to make money it doesn't have to be legal either, Sometimes they'll make you sign a waiver stating we are not liable for any tickets etc you get with this product or part on your vehicle, ex. window tint, they put it on their receipt stating we aren't liable for your tickets, this is our warning to you.

If a stock part is not available upon repair there are aftermarket companies that make replacement parts to OEM Specifications, this is legal. Flowmaster as in fact an alteration, it didn't come factory on the car so it isn't technically legal.

The only possible way to get away with it, Is if your vehicle is registered as a classic or historic vehicle, and even then it has to be so many years old to do that. same with inspection stickers.

Alot of guys you see with Inspection stickers on their highly modified cars aren't legit stickers, they slip their buddy at the inspection shop 20-30 bucks to slap a sticker on the windshield, Inspection shops could lose their license for this and be fined a very hefty fine.

Last edited:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
If the replacement part meets the EPA mandated guidlines its legal it doesnt have to be a "factory" replacement unit. If the part is of a "type" comparable to the factory unit it is 100% fine. Most states statutes clearly state this.

ModularFan

Established Member
If the replacement part meets the EPA mandated guidlines its legal it doesnt have to be a "factory" replacement unit. If the part is of a "type" comparable to the factory unit it is 100% fine. Most states statutes clearly state this.

I said that already, do you not pay attention when you read?

If a stock part is not available upon repair there are aftermarket companies that make replacement parts to OEM Specifications, this is legal. Flowmaster as in fact an alteration, it didn't come factory on the car so it isn't technically legal.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If Roush is listed and sells as a MANUFACTURER, such as Saleen does, then the car, properly certified, should be legal by VA law. If Roush is only a aftermarket dealer/installer/seller, then it's not legal. Call Roush and ask if they have a federal manufacturer's license. If they do, and the exhaust is something that they would have installed on the year Mustang, then take that to court. You only have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to beat the charge.

ModularFan

Established Member
If Roush is listed and sells as a MANUFACTURER, such as Saleen does, then the car, properly certified, should be legal by VA law. If Roush is only a aftermarket dealer/installer/seller, then it's not legal. Call Roush and ask if they have a federal manufacturer's license. If they do, and the exhaust is something that they would have installed on the year Mustang, then take that to court. You only have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to beat the charge.

Straight from Roush's Catalog,

ROUSH’s Terms and Conditions of Sale and policies as well as product(s) warranties, pricing, specifications, and availability are all subject to change without notice. Compliance with all Federal, National, State, Provincial or local laws are your responsibility.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Rousch sells exhaust which is 50 state legal; however, they also sell exhaust which is clearly marked for "off road use only". Just because the OP has a Rousch installed exhaust, it may still be illegal.

Btw,

You clearly lack an understanding of the law. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is what the government has to prove, not a defendant.

silver03svt

Established Member
Rousch sells exhaust which is 50 state legal; however, they also sell exhaust which is clearly marked for "off road use only". Just because the OP has a Rousch installed exhaust, it may still be illegal.

Btw,

You clearly lack an understanding of the law. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is what the government has to prove, not a defendant.

Yes, I am a state trooper in VA of 13 years. I clearly lack understanding of the law. Actually it was a typo as I was in a hurry. The officer has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the exhaust is illegal. The defendant, being the OP, needs to provide proof that the exhaust system IS not ONLY street legal in all 50 states, but ALSO that it would be equipment installed on that model vehicle in that model year, if ROUSH is indeed considered a manufacturer. In VA, he will need that proof to prove to the judge that the exhaust is legal for use on that particular vehicle.

BTW, I didn't even read what I had typed on my last post. Was thinking from my viewpoint when presenting to the judge about the fart cans on ricers. I did sound like an idiot.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member

Yes, true, but if you read the post above that cites Code of VA, 46.2-1049, the replacement exhaust system, muffler, CANNOT exceed the noise level of the factory exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread