Ticketed for loud exhaust

Stinger2011

Established Member
The only options I see are to pay the fine, argue it in court (from what i've read so far, it won't do you any good), or go to the chief and see if he can tear the ticket up (probably too late for that). After all, he did say it was legal in the first place, if I read your post correctly.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
The only options I see are to pay the fine, argue it in court (from what i've read so far, it won't do you any good), or go to the chief and see if he can tear the ticket up (probably too late for that). After all, he did say it was legal in the first place, if I read your post correctly.

Wow. I guess you didn't read the very last post before you posted where the OP said the charge was dismissed. :sleeping:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
in my opinion, these laws ruin hot rodding. Honestly what is this world coming too when you can get ticketed for having a non stock exhaust system. If you're abusing it, like revving the shit out of your car or etc then i can see it being a huge problem. But just normally driving it or just getting on it a little.. that's ridiculous.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
thats one of the reasons i like driving in chicago. the cops could care less how loud your car is. they are too busy dealing with real work to care.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
thats one of the reasons i like driving in chicago. the cops could care less how loud your car is. they are too busy dealing with real work to care.

This x 1000, its got to be an epically slow day for a cop to care about your exhaust enough to light you up in a huge metropolis area for an assumed exhaust violation.

Machdup1

Established Member
Im in the same boat as well a leo stopped me at the begginig of last month saying that in his opinion my car was too loud. he didnt test anything or look under the car. They say in VA that were not suppose to change anything on the exhaust but the law is pretty vague.. bassically what my lawyer and I gathered was you can change it.. it just has to be similar to the stock exhasut meaning decibel levels have to be the same.. I talked to another leo around here at a meet and he told me that those police officers who wrote you and I a ticket is what gives police officers a bad name. He told me that it is petty but you can be ticketed for it. I guess at the end of the day Im still thinking about going to court but it will be a waste of a day at work and more money to just pay the ticket..

Some how I doubt that other LEO's told you that stopping you for breaking the very clear VA exhaust law gives them a bad name. Aside from the obvious argument that keeping the peace is in the best interest of the community, in VA i believe that loud exhaust is reason stop a vehicle and make contact with its occupants. That makes it just another legitimate tool in an officers bag of crime fighting tools.

If you don't want to be stopped, the solution is obvious. Don't mod your exhaust or break any other laws.

johnjon87

Established Member
The officer is a member on here and drives a Shelby with a modded exhaust. Thanks for telling me what you think he told me. There are better things to stop people for than exhaust thats all im saying and the leo confirmed it. The car is going to be loud when i have 1000 + hp with big cams... And having the stock exhaust set up wouldn't work very well with my setup.. im not arguing my ticket im just saying that its petty and unfortunately enforced.. and i quote the leo.. those are officers who give us a bad name..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The officer is a member on here and drives a Shelby with a modded exhaust. Thanks for telling me what you think he told me. There are better things to stop people for than exhaust thats all im saying and the leo confirmed it. The car is going to be loud when i have 1000 + hp with big cams... And having the stock exhaust set up wouldn't work very well with my setup.. im not arguing my ticket im just saying that its petty and unfortunately enforced.. and i quote the leo.. those are officers who give us a bad name..

If you're running ~1000+ hp in your car, it would be safe to say the exhaust isn't the only illegal mod done to it...

johnjon87

Established Member
Lol hmm.. built 5.4 motor with a 3.6kb on 93 octane.. i can tell you don't know all that much about the 3.6 kb and evolution performance.. thats the whole reason i went for the gt500 and took it to evo.. you can speak with them and they'll vouch for me and tell you that my car is 100% street legal.. the only time its not is when i switch out the pulley and run c16.. but thats only done when im at the track.. im easily at 1000 rwhp with that setup.. we can tune it up to 1500fwhp but that is not street legal i wont deny that

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
OP glad your ticket was dismissed and thats one of the main reasons I hated living in VA, besides the cold.... Also talk about cops up there doen ever speed on highway 58 between Emporia and I-95 and Va beach haha.

Machdup1

Established Member
The officer is a member on here and drives a Shelby with a modded exhaust. Thanks for telling me what you think he told me. There are better things to stop people for than exhaust thats all im saying and the leo confirmed it.

I'm sure that he/she will jump in here and back you up for breaking the law.

The car is going to be loud when i have 1000 + hp with big cams... And having the stock exhaust set up wouldn't work very well with my setup.. im not arguing my ticket im just saying that its petty and unfortunately enforced.. and i quote the leo.. those are officers who give us a bad name..

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. The law doesn't exist so LEO's can harass you, the law exists because you are, in fact, disturbing others. Disturbing the peace is not a petty issue.

The citizens of Virginia have a right to not be disturbed.

You do not have not have the right to modify your car anyway you want in the Commonwealth.

BTW, Glad you won your case.

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
I had a female officer in New Castle, Delaware slap me with 3 tickets #1-"improper muffler" #2-"illegal window tint" and #3 honest to god had no title, yet had a price lol. I asked what it was for and she studdered and said ask the judge ?? I explained to her that my vehicle passes PA inspection/emmissions and its registered and insured in PA, she told me OK...then dont drive in DE. So i just chuckled an said ok mam.. Then she got pissed an started the whole "have you been drinking today sir? I smell alcohol". :bs:

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I think in most cases, it is how the car is being driven as much as the exhaust. I do not think there are any street driven cars any louder than my Tbird, and I have never received a ticket in it. I am running long tube headers, no cats, 3 inch exhaust with Dynomax Race Bullets exiting in front of the rear tires.

I do not drive aggressively in town. I have been pulled over on the highway a couple of times and the engine is off as soon as it stops moving. My last ticket was in 1985.

Users who are viewing this thread