Tickin Noise

Roush97

Established Member
That sounds right. I work for a Lexus dealer. Lexus vehicles are way different from Fords and I have never seen a DOHC head up close, so I don't know. Why are they saying that your left side head has the problem now?

cobra40

Established Member
No, the left head is the one that was replaced, and was where the wear was found on the seat and bearing.

Roush97

Established Member
Sorry, I meant the passenger (right) head. You said that they found a problem with that head and are replacing it too.

Roush97

Established Member
Oops, scratch the last post, I misread what you said in your earlier post. Sorry. The oil starvation would explain why some people have gone to heavier weight oil and solved the problem. The heavier oil probably stays on the bearings better. Also I have heard of people adding Marvel Mystery oil which I believe is just a quart of really thick oil. Yeah!!! I probably won't have to change my heads after all. Just going to put a high flow pump and some thicker synthetic oil. Thanks for the info Cobra40.:beer:

Last edited:

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
Tick

Boy after reading all these posts, I'm a little worried. I have just under 1000 miles on my 2003 Cobra. At this point I have no ticking sound, my car was manufactured in December 2002. I changed the oil the first time at 800 miles and used the Ford blend 5-20w. I was planning on using the same oil at 3000 miles, then at 5000 miles going to Mobile 1 5-30w. Does anyone think it would be advantageous for me change to Mobile 1 now? Would it be too early? Thanks, Doc.

Going with a heavier oil will make the problem worse. It will increase the restriction and decrease the flow to vital areas. This has been addressed by Ford directly and it will result in voiding your engine's warranty. I have seen an entire fleet of Police vehicles have their warranties voided because the fleet manager wanted to use a Fleet Oil that was a 30Wt. Needless to say, he was fired.

cobra40

Established Member
What about Royal Purple? Is is very viscous. Have you heard if a 100% synthetic oil will void the warrenty? Ford's oil is synthetic "blend".

Last edited:

Roush97

Established Member
Originally posted by Speedracer XTC
Going with a heavier oil will make the problem worse. It will increase the restriction and decrease the flow to vital areas. This has been addressed by Ford directly and it will result in voiding your engine's warranty. I have seen an entire fleet of Police vehicles have their warranties voided because the fleet manager wanted to use a Fleet Oil that was a 30Wt. Needless to say, he was fired.

I was thinking that the 30w would stay in the head better when it did get there instead of draining into the pan quickly. If the oil is restricted going in and leaves very fast, then the cams may not get enough of it to stay lubricated. Though I think that a good synthetic 5 20 could be better.

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by Roush97
My Cobra engine isn't installed in a vehicle but the dipstick tube doesn't look like it would be hard to install in the car with everything on the engine. The dipstick tube bolts to the driver's side head so the head has to be installed for it to be bolted on.

Trust me, it's A LOT harder than it looks.
The dipstick winds through the exhaust manifold, then through the motor mount, then into the block. It doesn't help that the dipstick has numerous bends & twists in it as well.

Easiest way to install the dipstick tube is to remove the d/s motor mount (k-member must be dropped or removed completely), and/or to pull off the d/s exhaust manifold. Trust me, I've done it & it's not a quick job... :eek:

PS: My 2001 Cobra has ticked since ~ 1500 miles or so on the driver side, just like the 2003's. :cuss: Car has ~ 7000 miles on it now & it's getting worse...:fm:

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
REALLY CONCERNED

Can someone post an audio/video of ticking sound and location so that we know what it sounds like. I have some faint ticking that dealer said sounded like injectors.[ My motor build date 08/02] Service Mgr totally unaware of the tick issue and I gave him copy of the bulliten I copied from yesterday's posts. My service mgr is a car guy, like us, and mentioned that we bought our cars because it is hand assembled by the "best engine builders" at Ford. Why in the hell trust a local service guy to do a head swap? Doesn't that affect the value of these cars as they are supposed to be "collectables".

My feeling is that if enough people get pissed like they did over the horsepower thing with past Cobras....we should get engine swap! Again, I paid for a hand assembled motor...not a partial rebuild by someone I don't know. Incidently my service mgr agreed totally and will car Ford.

Please...audio/video from those with ticks..and equipment to record....Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread