Tickin Noise

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
John - who told you the new heads were available. Was it your dealer, or SVT, or ? The tech who works on my car has been checking once a week (OASIS run) to see if they are ready, but nothing has turned up yet. If you could tell us your source, it might help us out. Thanks!

cobra40

Established Member
John Boosi/Black2003Cobra:

I noted my response from SVT on the 15th post on page 1 of this thread. The complete head assembly is available from FCSD. That is where my dealer ordered it from.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
cobra40 - Sorry, I had missed that. Is it now clear that these are the "new" heads? (I am assuming so, if the casting mold was the problem with the older heads.) What does FCSD stand for?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
03blacksnake - what did they end up doing on yours...replacing the entire engine, or head(s)?

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Black2003Cobra - They have only done the re-torque TSB on mine so far and that didn't fix the problem at all. That is why I am VERY interested in getting all the info I can on this new head fix as a solution to our problem.

cobra40 - My main question is what do I need to tell them when I go back in to get this fixed? Just order me a new "complete" head assembly? Or, is there someone I need to cantact at SVT to get this setup so my dealer will do it without BSing me?

03blackvert

Established Member
Could someone record a sound file of "the tick" and post it somewhere to help eliminate some confusion? :)

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I will try to record it with my camera so you can also see the best position to hear it. It will have to wait until after 6PM CDT though.

Helfman Ford in Houston (281-240-3673) has been very good about workiing on modded Cobras. Their Svc Mgr is an Old Skuul racer from the Detroit area and knows his cars. He can definitely call BS on a power adder related failure but has continually covered our cars when a warranty related failure was the cause of a problem.

If you need service, contact Dwaine Perry and use No one else!! He will follow your car throughout the entire process and keep you updated. Between him and the Svc Mgr, Joe Hall... SVT reps keep constant updates with them and ultimately to you.

If anyone needs a third party representative for their Warranty covered issues, PM me and I will work with you and the dealership to get all your concerns resolved swiftly.

Regards,

cobra40

Established Member
The first time I had mine in for service in December, different dealer, they checked torgue and debris, and found all OK. Ticking was still there.

Now, on this trip:

The Tech Notes on my service sheet states:

Noise coming from cam chain tensioner left side broken and also cam bearings excess wear marks. R&I engine and replaced left side cylinder head and camshafts. Also replaced tensioner. Mtime needed for no op code for bare head replacement. Engine operates normal and make no more noise.

Not accounting for grammer, that is verbam.

When I listened to the engine, it was-a purring like a lion.

The parts list is too extensive list here.

I don't know what "FCSD" stands for...anyone? Some division of Ford. Jesse Kershaw with SVT called the Romeo plant and Romeo said that FCSD had the complete head assemblies in stock.

Now, just a personal note:

Since a lot of people were watching the outcome of this ticking fix, I tried to note everything that occured during this service trip in order to help other 03 owners know what to expect. Hopefully, when others go in, the parts availability issues will not occur. Example: Make sure your service rep orders the COMPLETE HEAD ASSEMBLY WITH THE CAMS ALREADY INSTALLED.

Speedracer XTC is right on about Helfman. As anyone who has read this entire thread knows, there were some issues and frustrations that occured during my visit. As a customer saying that I had a problem, Nason Feldman, owner, listened and was genuinely concerned about resolving the issue, and he did just that. He was very professional, and courteous, not condesending like some dealers can be. He knew the car and everything that had occured before I arrived to meet with him. Integrety and professionalism are the words that I'm looking for here.

I can say this about Dwaine and Joe, they were professional and did whatever they could to keep things moving and were on top of the car the whole time. I was tough on them, but never nasty as some customers can be. That went a long way. Oh yea, they know the difference between a Cobra and a GT.

They were faced with parts availability issues from Ford and welcomed assistance from SVT. They worked well with SVT and the Romeo plant to find the parts. Both SVT and the guys at Helfman jumped thru hoops to get the parts delivered.

Nothing that occured was purposeful, but they did happen, and the team at Helfman worked to resolve the issues.

I will go back to Helfman with confindence. When things go wrong, that's when the metal is proven. Mishaps happen, but if something isn't right, it has been my experience that the guys at Helfman will make it right.

Last edited:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
New Head Assembly ordered today

A close friend of mine who also has an 03' Cobra here in the Sacramento area took his in for the "tick." The dealership called the SVT Hotline and they ordered him a new head assembly today...It's going to take 1-2 weeks for the head to arrive...So it seems like this is Ford's fix for the tick.

-Pete:coolman:

cobra40

Established Member
My head came in over the weekend (two business days). Did they "critical order" the head from FCSD?

davidmax

Established Member
I have not heard 1 tick on a motor with the SHM Blower,heds/cams kit,but they do lay down lots of POWER!!!!!!,Dave S.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
cobra40 - thanks for taking the time to post all your experiences. I'm going to give my tech a call tomorrow. I am thinking that since he said he'd be checking via OASIS runs, that aTSB hasn't showed up yet, and that is why he doesn't know the heads are available ready.

Am I interpretting your tech notes correctly ... they had to remove the engine to do this work? (R&I engine and replace left cylinder head...) If so, I'm going to have them check my clutch while it's out.

I was scheduled to get the car on a dyno on the 30th. I was hoping to have that done before hand, so that if the power was down after the new head (for any reason) I'd have the data to prove it. Damn...wish I could get it done sooner, but they're booked.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
cobra40,

To the best of my knowledge they did not "critical order" the head...Possibly because they didn't find any loose material in the head...They're going to reassemble the head let him drive it for two weeks and then have him come in when the new head arrives...My friend was told by the shop foreman that they ran an oil pressure test along with another test specifically related to the valve guides and the mechanic reported that it was "out of spec." Whatever the exact failure was it was a good enough reason to get a new head sent out from Michigan.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
cobrapete03 - can you find out exactly what test was done to check the valve guides and let us know? (I'd be real interested, as my tech was told quite a few weeks ago that the problem was with the valve guides and that new heads would be coming soon.) Thanks.

02RedLightning

Established Member
Can you here the tick at idle?
Or is it only audible when you are cruising?
And the tick only comes from the left side of the motor correct?

I hope my isn't ticking.

Lastly anyone with a Dark Shadow Gray Cobra experience the tick yet? Since I had read the tick was fixed during production and DSG was late availibility i was just wondering!!

Thanks.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Its most audible from the D-side of the car...Pull up next to a concrete wall, let it idle...If you hear a sound somewhat similar to a small exhaust leak "tick" sound then you have it...Its not injector noise either...I havent heard of it or felt it affecting the performance of the cars in anyway.

-pete

Users who are viewing this thread