• jeep wrangler

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • other

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blownfox

Established Member
What about the harley davidson f150? In 02/03 they were supercharged and would have room for a child seat.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Former Lightning owner here.
The interior in the L isn't all that. Basic suede/leather and a standard dash lol. Easier to mod for sure.

I would go Ram because you have a viper and around here anyways they are much rarer than the Lightnings. Seemed like they all died off once gas hit 4 bucks.
And obviously if you want a manual, well, it leaves the Ram as the only option, unless you go for the Crewcab version

nxhappy

Established Member
on the older Ls, how often do they blow out the spark plugs ? Any other issues?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I feel like you could enjoy a Lightning. The Ram's don't hold up very well (aside from the Viper drivetrain in this case). Lightnings tend to be a bit more robust in terms of aging than the Ram's.

Plus, who doesn't enjoy supercharger whine

nxhappy

Established Member
I feel like you could enjoy a Lightning. The Ram's don't hold up very well (aside from the Viper drivetrain in this case). Lightnings tend to be a bit more robust in terms of aging than the Ram's.

IDK, every Ram that I have ever had has been very very reliable.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not a newer F150 coyote with a supercharger?

This x1000. You can get more in the new Coyote with a MUCH better transmission by slapping a blower on it. Throw some 17's with some radials and its an easy 11 second truck.

I had a Lightning and while fast in its day the engine and transmission are limited. Engine has some powdered rods and the trans is only good for so much power before a rebuild is in order. Only thing the Lightning has on the newer trucks is the SVT name and build number.

Another option would be to slap a set of the FRPP upgrade turbos on your ecoboost truck and see how much power it will make...

nxhappy

Established Member
not really looking for a truck racer lol. I would be happy with a L intake/pulley/tune. Truck will be used to pull waverunner and light duty stuff.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
lightning. Then you can deliver parts on the weekends for Harry and the Racers edge. :D :D

LOL

Wth, Almost made a Harry/Racers Edge reference yesterday as well.... haha

I have an itch for and voted for a Lightning as well... I feel OP. They're still such a good looking Truck to this day imo

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
not really looking for a truck racer lol. I would be happy with a L intake/pulley/tune. Truck will be used to pull waverunner and light duty stuff.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/srt-10-vs-lightning-towing-capacity.411777/

Its the 6 speed manual standard cab Ram that has no factory approved towing capacity. I think the SRT-10 Quad Cab has a tow capacity up around 7,000 lbs. Probably could do more (it has a Cummins HD automatic) but is probably limited by those huge rims. The 20 inch rims on my truck knock off 1,000 lbs of tow capacity from the 17 inch rims.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Some last tens of thousands of miles with those mods. Others like mine, lasted far far less. The most fun time's ive had in the truck were bolt ons till it blew. I wish i could go back in time and tell myself just to intake, full exhaust and cosmetics mods only.

The viper spec t56 is strong unless you go try to 60" at the track on good rubber. Then you find out how a heavy truck destroys them. Ask me how i know.

Ida got a srt10 ram but i couldnt afford the extra 10-15k back in 2009. I love my truck though.
It's all good until you are fighting charge temps.....on a pos 2v....in a heavy truck.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
This x1000. You can get more in the new Coyote with a MUCH better transmission by slapping a blower on it. Throw some 17's with some radials and its an easy 11 second truck.

I had a Lightning and while fast in its day the engine and transmission are limited. Engine has some powdered rods and the trans is only good for so much power before a rebuild is in order. Only thing the Lightning has on the newer trucks is the SVT name and build number.

Another option would be to slap a set of the FRPP upgrade turbos on your ecoboost truck and see how much power it will make...

while everything you post is true you can buy a clean built lightning for less than the price of a newer coyote truck + a whipple/roush. The blower kits for the newer trucks are almost $8,000. Then you need tuning, upgrade exhaust, wheels and tires...etc. Ive seen proper built lightnings with 550rwhp for $22k.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
while everything you post is true you can buy a clean built lightning for less than the price of a newer coyote truck + a whipple/roush. The blower kits for the newer trucks are almost $8,000. Then you need tuning, upgrade exhaust, wheels and tires...etc. Ive seen proper built lightnings with 550rwhp for $22k.

22k for a 14+ year old truck that may have questionable history is something i would never want to deal with. Even if its built with top notch parts you never know the background. Id buy a stock Lightning, build it and know what im getting into.

The OP does have an Ecoboost truck already. I know the FRPP turbo upgrade adds some insane power(150+hp?) to the stock 3.5L motor. Throw in the intercooler upgrades, corresponding tune and it bet it would flat out fly.

I dont know anything about the SRT10 Ram except that it has a Viper motor. I will say that i did sit in one and the seats are quite impressive and the shifter was extremely cool. It was a boat though and dwarfed my Lightning at the time. Also, basic modded Lightning was faster than an SRT10 with a few bolt ons.

nxhappy

Established Member
22k for a 14+ year old truck that may have questionable history is something i would never want to deal with. Even if its built with top notch parts you never know the background. Id buy a stock Lightning, build it and know what im getting into.

The OP does have an Ecoboost truck already. I know the FRPP turbo upgrade adds some insane power(150+hp?) to the stock 3.5L motor. Throw in the intercooler upgrades, corresponding tune and it bet it would flat out fly.

I dont know anything about the SRT10 Ram except that it has a Viper motor. I will say that i did sit in one and the seats are quite impressive and the shifter was extremely cool. It was a boat though and dwarfed my Lightning at the time. Also, basic modded Lightning was faster than an SRT10 with a few bolt ons.

turbo kit would make the EB quick but I'm not trying to spend more money lol. If I can get something for 10-15k I would be happy. 20k max.

Users who are viewing this thread