time for a new clutch

04whitelight

SCAMMER / LIAR
hey guys, pretty sure that my clutch is starting to go, now i have always delt with autos so this is new to me, im just wondering what clutch i should go with for my 03 here. i have searched and see its between the centerforce or the spec, just wanted to ask, thanks

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
The best thing to do would use the search feature.
There is tons of info on here in reference to clutches.
You could even call one of our many fine vendors to get advice.
Good luck! :beer:

Last edited:

04whitelight

SCAMMER / LIAR
i have searched and read alot of the centerforce, but thats about it, when it comes to clutches i dont know much, like changing the fly wheel and input shaft, is that something i have to do or what, also, wheres the best place to gather all those goods

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
04whitelight said:
i have searched and read alot of the centerforce, but thats about it, when it comes to clutches i dont know much, like changing the fly wheel and input shaft, is that something i have to do or what, also, wheres the best place to gather all those goods

You don't have the change the flywheel. You can just have your stocker resurfaced. The fidanza is about the same weight as the stock flywheel, so changing it is mostly a matter of convenience. You also don't have to change the input shaft, but it's a good idea as long as you have the transmission out anyway. It's also a no-brainer to replace the pilot bearing and throwout bearing. Get as much stuff out of the way at one time so you don't have to do it again down the road.

s-trimCOBRA

Established Member
i just went through my 2nd centerforce clutch i'm not real sure about them but my buddies have them in there cars and are making more power than me and the clutches are holding you can try centerforce but i think i would go with Ram or Spec

04whitelight

SCAMMER / LIAR
i just went through my 2nd centerforce clutch i'm not real sure about them but my buddies have them in there cars and are making more power than me and the clutches are holding you can try centerforce but i think i would go with Ram or Spec

ANYONE ELSE WITH ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
04whitelight said:
thanks sanchez for the info, does most of that stuff come in a kit with the clutch or all need to be bought seperatley

You'll have to buy it separately. I think Lightning Force Performance does have a package deal that includes the DFX, flywheel, input shaft, and throwout bearing though. I got my pilot bearing at a Ford dealership.

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
04whitelight said:

ANYONE ELSE WITH ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS

I know a couple of people who've fragged their Spec clutches, but I haven't heard anything bad about the DFX. I had just finished the break in period on my DFX when some brain donor in a Benz ran me off the road and fled. I won't be able to get out to a track until I have the damage repaired, so I can't say first hand how it holds up under pressure.

tms217

Established Member
If you like the stock feel get the Mcloud clutch.. just finished putting one in and I love it.. I also did the Fidanza flywheel and 26 spline input shaft.

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
04whitelight said:
the ram 900 is great, i repllaced it in my 04 vert. when broke the stock one at the track, went with a stronger aluminum flywheel, much better 26 spline input shaft, well worth the money, and firewall clutch adjuster which is a major plus :)

93SVT#18

Established Member
tms217 said:
If you like the stock feel get the Mcloud clutch.. just finished putting one in and I love it.. I also did the Fidanza flywheel and 26 spline input shaft.

Which McLoud do you get and where did you get it from? Did you buy it all from the same place or did you have to buy it from different places. Also have you done the fire wall adjuster and quadrant? I dont want to change it to where the petal is to heavy so this sounds like the one for me. Been there done that. Want to be able to get out and drive it with out it wearing me out. I have been looking at the dfx or the spec also. A guy i know has the spec. I drove his car and hated it. Think it was a stage three.

tms217

Established Member
I bought the whole kit from D&D Performance. I also did the firewall adjuster and quadrant. The only think I wish I would have done was the adj cable. It is not to bad to change so I'll probably do it in another couple weeks.

93SVT#18

Established Member
Doesnt McLoud make more than one clutch? I will Have to look for the website for them. I see that you are close to me here in NC. Is D&D local. Never heard off them if so.

Last edited:

04whitelight

SCAMMER / LIAR
just wondering, whats the benefit from the 26 spline input shaft, and is it nesscary. My clutch really hasnt been slipping. its just hard to get into 2nds, kicks out sometimes and i can smell a scunk like burning smell, which i think is the clutch?

93SVT#18

Established Member
the 26 spline shaft has more contact area to distribute the load over more splines. Thus making it stronger. Also the shaft is thicker on the 26 spine.

Users who are viewing this thread