Time for new front rotors and pads - suggestions please

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I have about 20K miles on it, replaced the pads all the way around with Hawks 7K ago.

Front wheels are noisy as hell and I am pretty sure I need new rotors and pads.

The Hawk pads were way to noisy. I probably messed up by not turning my rotors when I replaced the pads.

Who has replaced their rotors and is happy with their pad/rotor combo?

It's Xmas time so $$ are naturally short.

Thanks

03yellow

Established Member
You can get great rotors at NAPA
starting at $50 (each) or so...I got the ones for $90 they look like the ones for $50

Go with a pad with the least dust.
Dust = squeal

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actually the dust and squeal dont have anything to do with eachother.

dust == soft pad
squeal == hard pad, or improper compound transfer to the rotor.

there are two parts to this equation - the physical squeezing of the rotor by the caliper, and the adhesion of the pad compound.

hawk hp+ leave very little dust compared to the stock pads, but will squeal like mad under light braking. the squeal is due to the resonant vibration of the pad stuttering on the rotor.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Bascom123 said:
Baer EradiSpeed drilled and slotted rotors (1 piece)

hawk pads (noisy coming to a stop) but effective.

Screw Baer cross-drilled rotors. Mine cracked around every hole before I ever took it on a roadcourse. I seasoned them and bedded the pads like you're supposed to and even drove the car several miles to let the brakes cool off every time I hammered on them. Just go with stock replacement Brembos.

HASFANGS

Established Member
Trick Pony said:
Screw Baer cross-drilled rotors. Mine cracked around every hole before I ever took it on a roadcourse. I seasoned them and bedded the pads like you're supposed to and even drove the car several miles to let the brakes cool off every time I hammered on them. Just go with stock replacement Brembos.

I had problems with Baer too!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I used Brembo F-40s on my Camaro and loved them. The stock Brembos are great IMO. My second choice would be Wilwood. A friend of mine had them on his Sonic Blue '03. Gorgeous and they worked well. But again, the stockers are fine IMO.

03CobraEG

Established Member
i have wagner thermo quiets, they stop like a charm, but they squeal and leave lots of brake dust when i slow down at high speeds

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
i would stay away from ebc greens. had them on a much slower car than my cobra, and they faded like hell with a little spirted driving.

and the hawks definetly require a fresh rotor surface to not squeek. i had them and they made a ton of noise. then i had the rotors surfaced, and threw on another set (since they were layin around) and have had not a single noise issue since.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Trick Pony said:
That's just great. I just put these on my car.
Son of a Bitch. :(

Bullitt4110

Established Member
What do you guys think of the powerslot rotors compared to the stock Brembo's? These are the slotted only, not drilled.

Last edited:

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Ordered the rotors, Tirerack has the Brembo rotors on sale for $62 each. Now I just need to figure out what pads to order.

03yellow

Established Member
You are looking at the EFFECT not the CAUSE.

Dust causes the the rotor to glaze ...thus creating the the poor contact between the rotor and the pad.
Much like running your finger around a smooth crystal glass. Youll almost never get squeeling from a "new" or a "newly turned" rotor. Its only after the rotor glazes over that it begins to suqeal.

I've had three Ford cars and have done the brakes on all three. Fords are the worst for squealing.

Heres what WONT help the squealing:
Brake quiet....only helps for clattering
Beveling the edges of the pads
Removing the resin or pain from the back of the pad
Sanding the pad itself.
Greasing the codder pins
Wagoner thermo quiets...soft and dusty

Here what does work for squeal:
A hard or ceramic pad
A new or newly turned rotor

I have tried everything over the past 10yrs with Ford brakes...I know what works. Keep the rotor from glazing and it wont squeal.

If you dont believe me ,try this:
Replace the pad only and see what happens
Then try this, turn the rotor only and see what happens

ShelbyGuy said:
actually the dust and squeal dont have anything to do with eachother.

dust == soft pad
squeal == hard pad, or improper compound transfer to the rotor.

there are two parts to this equation - the physical squeezing of the rotor by the caliper, and the adhesion of the pad compound.

hawk hp+ leave very little dust compared to the stock pads, but will squeal like mad under light braking. the squeal is due to the resonant vibration of the pad stuttering on the rotor.

Last edited:

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Thinking of Porterfield R4S pads $120 at Amazon.com for set of fronts. Amazon now sells auto parts - what else - I heard on the radio they sell adult toys too go figure.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I have the power slot rotors slotted and dimpled, love them. but I have hawk pads and HATE HATE HATE them. really noisy and leave tons of dust. I plan on going back to a stock pad soon.

Users who are viewing this thread