Time to install header...but no gaskets...

Joe5.0

Established Member
Well we took Cweil's advice on using the stock manifold gaskets, and theywill 100% not work. The stock gaskets have a rivet(dent)inthem that prevents the gasket to stay flat on the header flange, which would cause a massive leak obviously. We were just getting ready to bolt them on, when we noticed theyre not gonna work so now were F***** and could possibly be waiting FOREVER to get gaskets. And Tacoma screw had zero grade 8 stainless steal header bolts.

So what do we do now?

C Weil

Established Member
LOL, did you ask Tacoma Screw for "header bolts"? If you ask for header bolts, they won't know what you're talking about...they're just bolts, nothing special. They most DEFINITELY have the bolts you need; I have about 1,000,000 of them sitting around my house. Grade 8 isn't necessary, you just have to ask for stainless steel 8mmx1.25mmxwhatever length bolts. These aren't that structurally important and you don't want something too hard that won't flex with the cylinder heads.

Show me a picture of the gaskets. The stock Ford gaskets are what everyone uses...they work. There is no difference in the flange for the stock manifold or header manifolds, except one is steel and one is cast iron. Show me the "dent you are talking about. Everyone I've ever known uses these and they never leak. The ones that leak are the aftermarket graphite BS.

If I were home, I would come down there, GIVE you the bolts sitting at my house (that came from Tacoma Screw), go over there and put your headers on.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
If you reuse the studs in every place you can, they won't leak. We found that using header bolts on the first and last cylinders caused leaks on both ends.
On the gaskets, did you call the local speed shops to see if they will work with you?

Joe5.0

Established Member
Tacoma Screw did not have them. Weve got the bolts and lock washers now. Whoever says there using the stock gaskets are full of S***. We Tryed everywhere yesterday for gaskets, everyone has nothing.I E-mailes NinoSport had havent got a reply yet.We have no prblems putting the headers on, we just dont have gaskets.

750706_70_full.jpg

750706_71_full.jpg

:cuss:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Just pound that sucker flat and slap 'er on. j/k

Why can't you just cut that part out. You'd have a 2 piece gasket but who cares?

C Weil

Established Member
Is that in between the two middle ports? I can't tell from the angle if it's at the end or not. Just cut it out! I've never seen one that had it; it must be a Romeo thing. Cut it out, use studs to position the piece that's by itself, and use it. Problem solved.

If I were home, or if anyone where at my house, I would just give you one of the two sets I have laying around. Stock Ford gaskets are what to use, I've just never seen ones that had that bump.

As far as having two piece gaskets, the ones from Ford and Bassani are ALL two piece. Two ports per gasket. If you don't want to use the ones you have, go order them from the Ford parts counter. They're like $80-100, but they won't leak like the shitty graphite crap that some header companies include (because it's cheap).

Tacoma Screw DOES have the bolts, that's where I always buy them and I suggest to you the exact same thing that I always use. Either you asked for the wrong thing or you were talking to an idiot because it's a standard, extremely common size. It's the same size as about a third of the bolts on the engine, and one of the most common types of bolts they sell!

Joe5.0

Established Member
The thought did run across but seemed to be not right. Wouldnt the seal just suck, and cause leaks if we cut it? The passenger side had the (2) gaskets, and the Driver side was (1) Solid gasket. isnt that wierd? Well the gaskets are thrown away so we half to go get new gaskets at ford.

So if we cut out the dent, the stock ones will still work?

ccjcobra99

Established Member
mean saleen said:
The thought did run across but seemed to be not right. Wouldnt the seal just suck, and cause leaks if we cut it? The passenger side had the (2) gaskets, and the Driver side was (1) Solid gasket. isnt that wierd? Well the gaskets are thrown away so we half to go get new gaskets at ford.

So if we cut out the dent, the stock ones will still work?

It has been (2.5) years since I put the BBK LT's on, but I used Stock header gaskets that I got from Brian @ U Ford. I reused the stock header bolts per Brian's suggestion and also used Hi-temp orange silicone gasket sealer. The driver side has never been off and still does not leak. The passenger side has come off, and resinstalled due to a clutch change, and throw-out bearing replacement.

Good Luck with the Gaskets.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Just picked up some stock ones at bickford with no bend. So were good to Go.
Passenger will be done today.

C Weil

Established Member
Thanks for the backup, Clarke. How's the car doing these days, by the way? Decided what to do with it now that it's not a DD?

Mean, one side always has two gaskets because of the dipstick tube. I prefer using the two piece on both sides, anyway. Align them with studs, install, and then you can remove the studs if you want (preference).

You should have them in a couple of hours. Go! :rockon:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Well all failed. The Passenger side is gonna have to wait until Saleen09 can show the way to tighten them bolts. Right now just seems impossible. Hope we can make it saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread