Time to install header...but no gaskets...

Joe5.0

Established Member
Passenger side is Installed Finally! What a pain in the ass. Now we half to somehow re-install the starter, then its off to the driver side header, which looks much easier than the passenger side......updaye coming soon.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Joey, you get me message or Pm from last night? Never got a call back...............

Glad to hear you got it on.

Joe5.0

Established Member
Passenger side head is COMPLETELY ON and so is the starter. Now for the drivers side which looks like a piece of cake......

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
sorry guys, I couldnt make it over, but I know that you will get it done...tell your dad that I have to charge him for tools......my toolbox is getting lonely without them there...

rick

Joe5.0

Established Member
Will do lol. The driver side header is in just need to tighten the bolts, re-install steering shaft, egr tube, and then x-pipe. Im leaving at 7 for a bball playoff game. When u get back we should have her up and running no prob.

C Weil

Established Member
Make sure to heat cycle the bolts! Run engine for 20+ minutes to warm the heads up fully, then turn it off, let it cool down 100%, and retighten everything. If you don't, it'll leak later!

Very cool, glad to hear it. Getting it dyno'd soon?

Joe5.0

Established Member
Not anymore lol.....More problems. Egr tube wont go on the new header. And the O2 censors dont fit either, which the car will still run without censors right?

C Weil

Established Member
The car will run, but it will pull timing like hell and throw codes at you...not a good idea. You have to buy 02 sensor extenders. I figured you'd gotten them, for some reason. You can get them from wherever you ordered the headers from, I'd bet.

EGR tube will fit, but it's a bitch and takes forever. If it helps, undo it from the top, hook it up on the bottom, then reattach it at the top. It'll fit, but it IS a bitch, usually. You'll get it on there if you spend some quality time with it!

Joe5.0

Established Member
I did order 02 censor extensions. They dont fit. WHich is completely weird because there made for any 86-03 mustang. And good idea on the EGR tube.

but without the O2 censors working....what do we do?

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I say more boost, less headers. J/k. I did the JBA Shortys on my 2000 GT, never will I attempt headers again.

Dave

C Weil

Established Member
By how much do the 02 extenders not fit? Mine had about 18"+ of extra length, to the point where I had to ziptie both sides up in two places to get it out of the way. I can't see how they wouldn't fit.

Did you get the EGR tube on?

ccjcobra99

Established Member
Mean... you could cut and splice your to make your own 'extenders'. I cut and spliced the 02 sensor wires when I originally installed the headers. Probably took 2.5 hours. Since then I had an 02 sensor go bad, so I bought extenders and put the failed side in. The driver side is still using hte cut/splice method after 2.5 years.

Joe5.0

Established Member
C Weil said:
By how much do the 02 extenders not fit? Mine had about 18"+ of extra length, to the point where I had to ziptie both sides up in two places to get it out of the way. I can't see how they wouldn't fit.

Did you get the EGR tube on?

They are long enough, the problem is the connector wont go into the connector. So i just cut them and saudered the two together....hopefully this works.

Joe5.0

Established Member
ccjcobra99 said:
Mean... you could cut and splice your to make your own 'extenders'. I cut and spliced the 02 sensor wires when I originally installed the headers. Probably took 2.5 hours. Since then I had an 02 sensor go bad, so I bought extenders and put the failed side in. The driver side is still using hte cut/splice method after 2.5 years.

Thats what i did.

Yea the egr tube is on, but now it wont go back on the supercharger without a fight.

When it rains...it poors..... :cuss:

C Weil

Established Member
ccjcobra99 said:

That's actually what I ended up doing, too. The extenders came with my headers, and after I installed them I realized how silly it was, so I got proper gauge wire, removed the extensions, cut the originals and soldered the wire into it. Worked out great...sold the extensions to someone for like $60!

And I get to do hours and hours more soldering when I get home. Harness, here we come!

Mean, cool, glad you got it all settled. The EGR is a pain, but you'll get it. Just make sure it isn't coming into contact with the wire harness for the injectors back there. Those can burn up really quick if they're touching the EGR tube.

It's not so much "when it rains, it pours", it's just what working on cars is like...if it's too easy and everything just slides together, either it's a miracle or you're doing something wrong. Knowing you worked hard for the end result, though, makes it all worth it. Pays to do your research and have everything prepared before you start, too.

Good luck! Get the tube back on, heat cycle it, back off and retighten the bolts, and get it back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread