Timing chain and guides question.

Are stock coyote timing chain and guides enough for 8k and under rpm on a 1k hp turbo car.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coolbreezex82x

Hello, i'm currently building a 1000rwhp capable coyote engine. I don't plan on spinning it past 8k rpm. I'm seeing all these billet timing chain guides and heavy duty timing chains. Are they really necessary? I'm assuming the boss 302r had stronger tentioners but used the same chain and guides as the regular coyote. Im using a stage 1 turbo cam so nothing to crazy to snap chains. I understand the billet oil pump is a must and sprocket, but if ford is using plastic guides and the same timing chain on the high revving 302r shouldn't I be fine sticking with the plastic guides and stock chain? Just don't see 650$ being worth it if ford engineers are using something different for similar RPM range when the 650$ could go toward something more important. Any advice is appreciated.

The engine i'm putting together now has a forged bottom end, MMR stage 2 ported heads with new bronze valve guides stiffer springs, stage 1 jpc turbo cam. Currently have CPR turbo on e85 on a 2011 mustang GT. Just getting the miscellaneous items together before finishing assembly.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The best way to look at them is what they could save you when the factory one fails, especially things like secondary chains, when those break you are looking at $1000's to replace bent valves and damaged cylinder heads and pistons, just not worth it. ,many of the other parts provide better performance and timing accuracy.

469000_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread