Timing gear set?

GHIG'13

Established Member
Hey guys, I am about to order a sleeved Holcomb shortblock and was wondering. Would y'all recommend replacing the timing chains, tentioners and guides when I get the new shortblock? Car has 30,000 miles on it and has never been driven hard as it was my wife's daily driver up until I decided to build it. Thanks for any help.

hitmix300

Established Member
I did because the price is so low for that stuff. Good piece of mind to replace items that wear and stretch.

You have thousands into a built engine and will reuse $100 worth of old components?

GHIG'13

Established Member
Kinda what I was thinking but MMR wants a lot more than $100 for the set they sell. Still think it's a good idea. Would y'all go back with factory stuff or upgrade the sliders and chains?

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We run factory chains / guides in all of our race engines without issue. I would look into getting the ATF billet crank gear though for some added durability.

Typically speaking if your engine has a bunch of miles on it I recommend swapping out the chains / guides / tensioners.

We're making nearly 2000hp with our 2011 GT and still using factory chains / guides / boss tensioners.

GHIG'13

Established Member
We run factory chains / guides in all of our race engines without issue. I would look into getting the ATF billet crank gear though for some added durability.

Typically speaking if your engine has a bunch of miles on it I recommend swapping out the chains / guides / tensioners.

We're making nearly 2000hp with our 2011 GT and still using factory chains / guides / boss tensioners.

Thanks Aaron, that is what I will do then. Do y'all sell the chains, guides and tensioners?

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We sell them for what you get can get them at a dealership for. We usually just get them for in house jobs.

If you don't have a dealer locally give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to help you out

Users who are viewing this thread