Tint

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I know several threads have been started about tint. I wanna know something different. Does anyone have tint on their windshield? I haven't run across any threads saying anything about the windshield. I just got turned down for an inspection sticker cause i have tint on my windshield and the guy said it isn't factory tint.

WHAT THE F*CK???

Do dealerships do this when they get the trucks or does SVT do this? I have to change my windshield out now to put a $5.00 inspection sticker on it. Oh, and by the way....it's an additional $5.00 to have tint on your windows now. And nothing under 30%. What a crock!! :fm: :fm: :fm:

buckleupkiddies

BOOSTON
Established Member
i have tint on my front windshield. wasnt factory at all. it is highly illegal as one cop told me. i just love being able to drive around and the only thing people can see is my hand on the steering wheel.

tharsis

Established Member
Other than the strip up at the top, its illegal to have your windshield tinted. An old co-worker had a 300 with EVERY SINGLE WINDOW tinted to 5%. He'd sit in it and eat his lunch and you could never see if he was in there or what.

BLK54

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
I have 5% on al the windows, including the strip up top, then i have the front windshield 30%. Yes highly illegal but i cant stand wearing sunglasses.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
"To my knowledge our trucks come without any tint from factory."

Our trucks come with some factory tint on the side windows. My used L had aftermarket tint on the windows and a Ford dealer scraped them off except for the back window. I had to get the little pieces of tint in the corners off myself. But my side windows appear to be a little tinted from the factory as they sure aren't clear.

LightningMAS

Banned
my 2 side windows are 20%.. my back three are 5% and my windshield is 38%... havent gotten pulled over yet... but no one cant see me inside my truck.. ha`

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Kevin has his windshield tinted on his L and has got about a dozen tickets for it :bash:

As far as the windows on the Lightning go they are all tinted from the factory including the windshield with a soft blue tint that Ford calls Carlite solor tint.

MOORESPEED

Established Member
I sat in CHICOSVT's truck at night and it doesnt even seem like theres tint on the windshield. We parked our trucks next to each other and you can tell the difference on the outside (I just have the dark strip across). Definitely a plus.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Then i'm wondering who actually tinted my windshield. I bought the truck with 3,000 miles on it. I don't mind sunglasses at all. I was also told than nothing darker than 30% on any window. That sucks cause i wanted 15% on my back 3 windows. What a real a$$ ripper!!

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
I know tint law sucks in ms now. i registered at 32% other day when i got my sticker. I keep debating on the script across the winshield but hate to put it on and then have to come right back and take it off

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
If the windshield was replaced it could have been replaced with one that has the tint made in it. The back glass on mine is factory, looks to be close to 20%. I tried to match it and put 20% on the sides, which is'nt legal. The strip on the front is 20% also and is free handed from 8" in the middle to 6" on the sides. It's not legal but no ones bothed me so far.

truckin

Established Member
no winsheild comes factory tinted. :nono:

most cars come with a solar ray tint insulated in the glass from the factory. and just about every mercedes come with this.

the only thing tinted from the factory on a windsheild is the visor.

svtman75 im 99% sure what happened is the previous owner had it tinted. unless he payed a window factory to have tint insulated on the winsheild.$$$
another thing he could have done was sprayed a tint spray that is sold to tint you windows but i highlt doubt that some one would do that to a windsheil because eventually youll get caguht and he woulndt of had to replace his window.

so to determine this get a blade and lighlty scrape the center of the windsheild and im sure you will see the tint scrape off. if this happens try to remove the tint by scrpapping it from a corner and pull it off or you can just scrape it all of pice by piece.
while your doing this mix water and any mild soap and spray it on the winshiled while pulling it off, dont be scared to spray to much. its okay to get a little crazy with the spraying. :banana:

:p i know this because i have every single window on my suv aftermaket tinted with high quailty and i love it. :coolman: havent got i ticket yet but if i do ill still leave it on. the laws are kind of hard in ca. to :nono:

so there no need to have the entire windshield replaced. :coolman:

but if you dont want to bother with it take a to a tint shop and have them look at it and dtermine if its aftermarket tint or factory. ;-)

Last edited:

MOORESPEED

Established Member
SVTman75 said:
Then i'm wondering who actually tinted my windshield. I bought the truck with 3,000 miles on it. I don't mind sunglasses at all. I was also told than nothing darker than 30% on any window. That sucks cause i wanted 15% on my back 3 windows. What a real a$$ ripper!!

If im correct, you can tint the back window as dark as you want. My truck is black with like 5% all the way around except for the windshield.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
SVTman75 said:
I know several threads have been started about tint. I wanna know something different. Does anyone have tint on their windshield? I haven't run across any threads saying anything about the windshield. I just got turned down for an inspection sticker cause i have tint on my windshield and the guy said it isn't factory tint.

WHAT THE F*CK???

Do dealerships do this when they get the trucks or does SVT do this? I have to change my windshield out now to put a $5.00 inspection sticker on it. Oh, and by the way....it's an additional $5.00 to have tint on your windows now. And nothing under 30%. What a crock!! :fm: :fm: :fm:

just take it somewhere else man, someone will pass it, just hand the inspector $20 with your keys. its all a crock of sh1t. business.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
In michigan it is illegal to have tint more than 4 or 6 inches from the top of the windshield and front door windows at any percent. Rest of the windows can be as dark as you please. I have about 20% in my prelude and 5% around in my L except for the windshield. I have only been warned twice by the State cops in my 'lude and never had a problem at all in the L. Also state assholes seem to be the only ones worried about it. Maybe because they are young green ones around here trying to prove something. The other trick would be to try and talk your optometrist into writing you a prescription for window tint because you have "photosensitive eyes". Good luck with that one though.

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
SVTman75 said:

WHAT THE F*CK???

How do u get the old sticker off with out ripping the tint? Most guys i know use a razor blade to get the stickers off, sounds like a pain to me

2001_lightning

Check Me Out
Established Member
SVTman75 said:

WHAT THE F*CK???

my friend has 35% on the front and 5% all around its dark in the front but you can see out of it fine.

Users who are viewing this thread