Tips for a short trip to Boston (4 days)

texaswrx

Established Member
First time to Boston, with the wife, for a few days in July. This would be out first trip without our son (adult fun time). I already have one evening going to a ball game. We are both into historical sights and the walking tour looks good. Any other tips for a first timer?
Thanks

Blown 89

Established Member
Leave the wife and bring some rubbers. Boston is the place to be single IMO

Boston has a bunch of pubs along the freedom trail. We turned that into a freedom trail pub crawl that was fun. The kayak tours along the river are awesome too. Tour the USS Constitution too, that was one of the coolest things I saw there. Walking through Boston Commons is a must, as is a trip to Fenway. The library there is worth a walk through, it's beautiful. Definitely go to the North End to eat at night...I had the best meal of my life there....that's saying something considering my travels.

coposrv

Established Member
^ What he said. Food jn the north end is as good as I have had anywhere.

SteveChris

Established Member
The freedom trail can burn most of the day, although for regular walking around it is a very small city.
I've lived there, we would walk from the commons to Faneuil Hall in like 15 minutes (bunch of guys walk faster than a couple of course, but still)

Find a restaurant beforehand in the North End and make reservations. I went recently and wanted to go back to Prezza with my GF but they were booked.
You CAN just walk around and find one but if you see one you like, just make a reservation.

I'd spend a little time in all the areas, they have their own look and feel. There is a nice sized Chinatown and across from the commons (west side/middle) there is beacon hill. That area is nice, brownstones and little shops.

Your wife might like Newbury Street, west of the commons. Your wallet...not so much.
I have seen a guy's wife buy a $50 pair of socks on Newbury...and i think that was a discount store.

But there are good shops, if you like chocolate there is this crazy store on Newbury with good, but expensive, chocolates.

MooseCT

Powered by Hate
Established Member
Watch out for dem Red Sox fans, they crazy.
hey now.

i second the north end for great eats, check out a place on prince st called ARTU. great selection for appetizers if you're looking for something on the lighter side.

anything in the faneuil hall area is great for a walk around also. make sure you check out america's oldest bar, bell in hand.

texaswrx

Established Member
Thanks for all the information.
Like I said, it's our first time (for the most part), to be sans child.
I found tickets to a ballgame and can't freaking wait.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
First time to Boston, with the wife, for a few days in July. This would be out first trip without our son (adult fun time). I already have one evening going to a ball game. We are both into historical sights and the walking tour looks good. Any other tips for a first timer?
Thanks

since you said historical id recommend checking out medfield state hospital, just west of boston. if you're into that kind of thing its pretty much a ghost town of abandoned mental hospital buildings connected by service roads. its where they filmed shutter island. its open to the public, youll see people walking their dogs in there and stuff.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
I had only a short afternoon there a couple years ago and did the Duck Tour: http://www.bostonducktours.com/
The driver/tour guide was hilarious and had some good stories on each area we floated/drove by. If I could've taken longer I would've seen all the architecture and historical sites.

coposrv

Established Member
since you said historical id recommend checking out medfield state hospital, just west of boston. if you're into that kind of thing its pretty much a ghost town of abandoned mental hospital buildings connected by service roads. its where they filmed shutter island. its open to the public, youll see people walking their dogs in there and stuff.

No. OP don't go there. I grew up about 15 minutes from there. It's not worth it. There's nothing there worth seeing. It's a boring town.

coposrv

Established Member
Quincy Market!

Food stalls galore and good shopping.

Yes. Big time yes to Quincy market. Tons of food and also to the bell in hand. It's always a decent time there. Lines can be long to get in but it feels like 1700's just modern people there. The oyster house is next door. Worth checking out as well.

jbs$

Established Member
Leave your car in the Hotel parking lot and take a cab to get around town. The town center is not that big and there are no parking places. Many great restaurants and historic sites, most are in walking distance of each other.

texaswrx

Established Member
We planned on no car, just transport from Logan to our hotel, and then cabs. Is that what most use in the are while visiting? Besides walking of course.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
We planned on no car, just transport from Logan to our hotel, and then cabs. Is that what most use in the are while visiting? Besides walking of course.

Pretty much, or the subway.

Just used the rental car for driving to and from the airport.

I was up there last March. Don't forget to bring some warm clothes, especially if you'll be out at night.

Gets windy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, you're going to love Boston. Very clean. And so much to do. As already mentioned, put Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall Hall on your list. If you like Italian food, you'll find some of the best in the country in the North End. Awesome Italian pastry shops there, too. Seafood? So many great choices.

Found these recommendations on Yelp.

Boston's most popular
$$$$ Fine dining

1 Neptune Oyster
2 Abe & Louie's
3 Union Oyster House
4 Hamersley's Bistro
5 Grill 23 & Bar

$$$ Higher priced
1 Toro
2 Giacomo's
3 Dalí
4 Fugakyu
5 East Coast Grill

$$ Moderately priced
1 Pizzeria Regina
2 Redbones Barbecue
3 Mr. Bartley's Burger
4 Border Cafe
5 Zaftigs Delicatessen

$ Cheap eats
1 Mike's Pastry
2 Flour Bakery + Cafe
3 Santarpio's Pizza
4 Blue Ribbon BBQ
5 Sunset Grill & Tap

And definitely take a Duck Tour. Absolute must. Fun and very informative. Actually, do the Duck Tour first which will help you then decide what specific places you want to visit later.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Good ideas in this thread, thanks to the OP for the post. I'll be in Boston for 2 nights this coming weekend visiting BU with my daughter who was admitted as a freshman for the fall. Now I have some good ideas for where to eat. :-D

Last edited:

texaswrx

Established Member
Indeed. I appreciate the feedback as well.
Now the part of deciding where to stay and the easiest way from the Airport to the hotel. Trip advisor has some good information.

Users who are viewing this thread