TIPS - new TOB and Pilot bearing install?

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I've installed a new clutch and flywheel on the 5.0, so have all those steps down.

But, now putting a new Hydraulic Throw out Bearing in as well as Pilot bearing. After about 20 min of searching, I can't find any clear info on it.

Any words of wisdom or things to look out for? Hoping its easy, straight forward.. but that's rarely the case lol

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
throw out bearing is straight forward, I believe just 2 bolts.

Pilot bearing can be tricky, sometimes the tools break. Just try the a pilot bearing tool first.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Any time I've done a pilot bearing I've cut it out. Harbor freight tool didn't work. If you can buy the Ford tool that's your best bet

Steveespo

Established Member
I pulled mine with a slide hammer and inside jaws puller. destroyed it but worked. Tapped in new one with seal installer and hammer. Really no need to replace if the the pilot bearing has its grease intact. If the grease has made a mess in there then it failed.
Throw out bearing/slave is easy and worth installing a new one if you are in there for peace of mind anything over 10k miles. Need to pump pedal about 200 times to bleed out the new one, or use vacuum bleed tool on the fluid reservoir per the shop manual. (mighty vac)

Users who are viewing this thread