Tire question- Im sorry, I know. Top End

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Terlingua Preservation Society - for lovers of Carroll Shelby's Big Bend legacy - Home

Terlingua Preservation Society

That said, we run a small hand picked group on a closed section of road. Our main objective is to raise money for the local community, specifically, the Fire/EMS, the local high school including scholarships for the grads, and a wounded warrior type charity that helps soldiers reintegrate after suffering PTSD. The backstory is that Carroll Shelby owned about 200,000 acres back in the 60s. Some pretty crazy stuff came about from it, but the area is still extremely isolated. The nearest hospital is Midland, TX. Its a 2 hour helicopter flight, with a refuel needed in between. Its out there.

Last year we raised 25k for our charities, with 35 couples attending. The same amount the Annual Terlingua Chili Cookoff raised. (They had over 10,000 attendees). We are a 501(c)3 that gives 100% of all proceeds. We don't take a single penny running it.

If you go to the Facebook page, someone posted scans of the article published in this months Mustang Monthly about it.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Terlingua Preservation Society - for lovers of Carroll Shelby's Big Bend legacy - Home

Terlingua Preservation Society

That said, we run a small hand picked group on a closed section of road. Our main objective is to raise money for the local community, specifically, the Fire/EMS, the local high school including scholarships for the grads, and a wounded warrior type charity that helps soldiers reintegrate after suffering PTSD. The backstory is that Carroll Shelby owned about 200,000 acres back in the 60s. Some pretty crazy stuff came about from it, but the area is still extremely isolated. The nearest hospital is Midland, TX. Its a 2 hour helicopter flight, with a refuel needed in between. Its out there.

Last year we raised 25k for our charities, with 35 couples attending. The same amount the Annual Terlingua Chili Cookoff raised. (They had over 10,000 attendees). We are a 501(c)3 that gives 100% of all proceeds. We don't take a single penny running it.

If you go to the Facebook page, someone posted scans of the article published in this months Mustang Monthly about it.

Oh ok, I didn't realize it was mostly private. Limited to 50 cars and alumni getting first dibs kinda makes it difficult for new people to join. Sounds like a cool event though. Thanks for the info. :beer:

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Oh ok, I didn't realize it was mostly private. Limited to 50 cars and alumni getting first dibs kinda makes it difficult for new people to join. Sounds like a cool event though. Thanks for the info. :beer:

We have never done any kind of advertising, (or needed to) and with nearly 100% return rates its never been necessary. That said, we have grown the event from our first year of 25 cars to about 40 last year including the organizers. We do plan to add a couple spots this year as well. Its all about being able to manage more people without sacrificing any fun or the experience overall, so we grow slow. We have people that come all the way from Europe, and cars driven down even from Canada (one particular couple got married at the event two years ago. Pretty cool stuff)

Let me know if you are interested- its less about being able to run your car wide open than going somewhere for the experience you cant reproduce anywhere else. We dont wanna be Bonneville. :beer:

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
I was maybe thinking of going, with our G2's in 305 35 R20 for the rear...this is my daily driver and the other option it thought of was Mickey Thompson's R2's, but for DD they look kind of scary in the rain.

Manuel

Users who are viewing this thread