Tired of these junk mod motors. On third motor.

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
Well my newer motor with about 4,000 miles on it it it already making some kind of noise in the low end (not a bearing). Shortly after i put the sullivan on, the noise started. Am I the only one that has problems with new motors?!! I thought I'd do it right this time buy buying a new forged shortblock but I guess that didn't help either.
I don't know if I can dump another 4,000 in my car. Sorry guys just had to vent:shrug:

elyrain

Established Member
If it's not a bearing then it's gotta be something with the pistons/rings. Those kind of problems are cheaper to fix if they haven't scored the wall.

I know what you mean though man, after spending 7k to rebuild mine it has pretty a bad piston rattle, I wanted to light the whole thing on fire. But it makes power and runs fine so I'll live with it till it blows (12k already). Got the replacement parts sitting in the gayrage.

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
If it's not a bearing then it's gotta be something with the pistons/rings. Those kind of problems are cheaper to fix if they haven't scored the wall.

I know what you mean though man, after spending 7k to rebuild mine it has pretty a bad piston rattle, I wanted to light the whole thing on fire. But it makes power and runs fine so I'll live with it till it blows (12k already). Got the replacement parts sitting in the gayrage.

Yeah I'm kinda had the same problem as you bud. I had a piston rattle in my last engine since day 1. I ran it for 12,000 miles and switched out the short block. The piston and bore looked pretty nasty but ran fine. Just embarrassing is all. This sound is more of a marble sound but you only only hear it at a high idle and more when cold but I think its getting worse. I guess I'll run it till it blows too because I'm sure the warranty on these things is next to nothing.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
There was a thread going on in Smackdown about people having issues with these blocks. You should go check it out and PM the guy having the issues.

Nazman

Established Member
Man...there are lots of poeple having MMR problems with thier motor builds.

They build some very inexpensive short blocks but....man, cheaper is not always better.

Too many horror stories as of late, and to spend your hard earned cash and last you a few miles with no warranty sucks!

Hope for the best!

Naz

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Wow, that's the first I have heard about MMR problems. I haven't been searching for it though. I think Naz sold me on MP though whenever I get around to doing the shortvblock.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
MMR's rep is getting some heavy criticism lately. Turbomustangs had a thread about them too, but it got locked most likely because they are big advertiser on there. Check out the corral to because the same guy started a thread there too. Not sure if they just had a bad batch of engines or what, but their rep is certainly coming under fire as of late.

EVO-lution

Established Member
damn....They way i always see MMR running high HP cars and then having to hear that theres been a lot of problems lately with other customers' cars is kinda upsetting. I was thinking about getting a shortblock from MMR but after reading this thread.....ill find another shop.

Good Luck with the Fix Cobrob

01yellercobra

Established Member
It seems like when I finally decide on an engine builder I find things like this. Anymore I'm thinking of having the machine work done and then doing the final assembly myself. At least that way I can double check everything going into the motor.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
And people wonder why I'm not rebuilding a perfect running, 88,000 miles stock shortblock when I'm staying na. I'll wait til it blows up, then I'll look into a rebuild.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
From what I have heard and read (and seen with my bro's 99 GT) You really get what you pay for with MMR. MMR = *hit IMO

coolguy10786

Established Member
And people wonder why I'm not rebuilding a perfect running, 88,000 miles stock shortblock when I'm staying na. I'll wait til it blows up, then I'll look into a rebuild.

Just a heads up for you, mine lasted until about two weeks ago. I know it will cost more, but i would STRONGLY urge you to forge the shortblock while you are there.

Good news is now im probably going to a 03/04 motor or a Modular Performance 324.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Just a heads up for you, mine lasted until about two weeks ago. I know it will cost more, but i would STRONGLY urge you to forge the shortblock while you are there.

Good news is now im probably going to a 03/04 motor or a Modular Performance 324.

What did you rev her too? What exactly let go? I have been tempted, cause so far, it's been a royal pain to get the motor out.

coolguy10786

Established Member
What did you rev her too? What exactly let go? I have been tempted, cause so far, it's been a royal pain to get the motor out.

Well I haven't had a chance to pull the motor yet, but it lost oil pressure and i shut it down. This happend while at the track shifting at about 7200rpm. I was running a ati balancer and melling billet pump so im guessing either the pump went or spun a bearing.

Make sure you pull the motor out the bottom, much MUCH easier. Last summer i pulled it out the top, and this time its definitely coming out with the k member.

Users who are viewing this thread