Tires for stock rims?

Mach'n You

Established Member
I"m getting a set of 10th anni. rims soon and I'm looking for a really good tire for dry, wet and the occasional track day. They don't have to be stock size, just fit the stock rim obviously.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Jroc

Established Member
Nitto 555R's are a great all around tire to run on a DD Cobra. Its not going to hook as well as other DR's, but its a great all around tire with few compromises. They handle rain just fine if you pay attention when driving in the rain. I enjoyed them alot. I ran 315/35/17 555R's on my factory wheels with 275/40/17 Good Year F1 GS up front and liked the combo just fine. If I was going to start with 4 new tires I would add the regular 555's up front in the factory 275/40/17 size. If you don't own a 03/04 Cobra you might not want to run 275's on the front as the Cobras were specifically set up with stops and some clearing so that they could run 275's. Thats why they have a terrible turning radius. I ran 265's on a 8" wide wheel on my old 99 GT and they did not rub. On a 9" wide wheel you may want to stick with a 255, or 265 if you have a Mach 1.

Here's a old picture of a 315 555R on my factory wheels.

555r.jpg

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I agree, I enjoyed my Nitto's 315 on a stock rim. Didn't like the look of the buldge too much, and when you turned sharp the handling in the rear wasn't the best. My wife is going to be driving my car so I'm changing it up to GSD3's all the way around for occasional rain use. But as stated, if you're carefull when it's wet, the Nitto DR's are fine on a DD cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread