To Spoiler or Not to Spoiler

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate your point of view. A couple people mentioned to go without the spoiler for now and then change it up again later. I'm kind of leaning towards that at this point. Mainly because of the price to go back to the stock spoiler.

I traded my stock spoiler and heat extractor hood when I got the car painted to save some money on the paint job and because, at the time, I thought I would not need the parts in the future (big mistake).

I have checked and the cheapest I can find a used OEM spoiler is $400. Then the brake light alone is another $234 as I would have to buy a new one because of the prone to cracking as previously mentioned. So, I'm looking at over $600 in parts alone.

Therefore, I think I'm going to fill the holes and paint the decklid for now and then I'll buy the parts and install them later.

I agree the OEM spoiler just stands out and compliments the body lines like no other.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay all, thanks for all your input. I'm happy to say I found a good used OEM Cobra spoiler for $350 shipped to my door. I will still need to purchase the 3rd brake light for it, but I'm well on my way to returning back to the factory look (well kind of, since the 2000 Cobra R will remain).

This is the plan. I'm going to have the body ship fill the holes and paint the deck lid for me. I'll keep it "without" a spoiler for the winter. Then next summer I will purchase the 3rd brake light, mount the factory spoiler myself and then paint it to match. That way the car will be ready for my trip back to Mustangs by the Bay in San Diego next year.

So, hopefully I will be accepted back into the Cobra community since I'm ditching the Roush spoiler and going back to the factory one LOL......

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I'm one that prefers the stock spoiler. I also don't personally like the no spoiler look.

But it's your car. It isn't about what I like.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Christmas came early. I was not expecting this to show up so quickly. So, I took it to the body shop yesterday and dropped it off. Will have it installed instead of going with the no spoiler look.

The blue tape is just to get an idea of where my black pin stripe line will line up on the spoiler.

20161128_152630_zps3grgascd.jpg

20161128_154631_zps6ipphpvm.jpg

20161128_154642_zps25jlcf8h.jpg

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the stock cobra spoiler, the car can look great without it, but the stock cobra is so understated and that I like

mkb116

Established Member
I personally don't like the no spoiler look.. I think the cobra spoiler looks great on the 03's. But my favorite is the Saleen spoiler.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay got the car back from the body shop.

Here it is with the original Cobra spoiler back on the car. I really like it. Should have been this way all along LOL.

20161210_153905_zpstfav6jck.jpg

20161210_154021_zpsrmziogbl.jpg

20161210_154055_zpswyrmf3dy.jpg

20161210_154152_zps5eolna9h.jpg

20161210_154202_zpsm5k3qu7z.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
^^^ LOL, Sorry CJ, I originally said the paint would stay. I understand this paint job is not for everyone, but a silver Cobra is just too boring for me.

At least with my vert the top is black to break it up a bit.

Black2010

Established Member
I never liked the no spoiler look. I don't know what it is it just doesn't look right/good, to me, on the 4th gens. Personally I'd go with a Terminator spoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you are saying. On the GT's I'd go no spoiler if you just hate the GT spoiler but for a Cobra it's spoiler all the way. To me, no spoiler makes the car look like the base model V6's. Looks OK on the 01 and earlier GT's but the 02+ GT (with the hood scoop) and the Cobra's the body lines need something in the rear to compliment the lines of the front.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it! I like it too. I never should have changed it, but you know what they say....Hind sight is 20/20 LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread