Votes: 43 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lprimo

PhotoChop Cookie Masta
Established Member
PowerWheels said:
I have said this before, but I had my TOB and pressure plate replaced under warranty. Had a vibration and also the TOB chirp. TOB is chirping again, started imediately after the replacement. My dealer, 3 weeks ago said the isssue should be resolved in 30 to 60 days. I am calling them next week. Anyone else heard of a fix? My dealer, who has been excellent btw, says it is coming, and I believe them.

Dude Centerforce has a HD TOB 35 bucks! www.summitracing.com ...why oh why would you let them put the crappy factory one back in?? Did you know that the TOB on our cars, is the same on the V6,V8 GT,Mach 1, and Cobra....its a POS!

Silver04Cobra

Go Faster
Established Member
Has this problem been found on the '04s?

Does the tranny have a natural saound that it makes? Mine has always had a sound to it... 7500 miles now.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
2817 miles...TOB sounded like a bird cae was under my car. I should get it back tonight or tomorrow!

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Just got mine at a little over 13k, I voted 13.5k. Will most dealers take care of it even if I have the mods I have in my sig, if its a TSB it shouldn't matter huh?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Got mine back yesterday...they replaced the clutch, and everything with TSB# 4-13-04...the clutch feels 100x better and engages a lot smoother!

silvrbullit04

Established Member
mine started at less than 3000 miles, but now i dont hear it anymore, plus it doesnt matter because im going with a mcleod setup

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I think mine has this problem now as well, I am going to look into it further. I am going to go with a DFX at the end of october when I store my car for the winter so I'm just not gonna worry about it.

Wildcat

Established Member
Wow, You need to be wearing nomex to be in this thread. Please educate me for a minute. What is the function of a throw out bearing and what are the symtoms of a failure? Thanks for taking the time to explain.

SpectorV

Established Member
try going though 4 TOBs in 10k miles... due to ford does NOT know how to work on a car.. and having 2 engineers tell you its fine... (BS) (this was on my 01 v6 not cobra)

ViciousJay

Established Member
Wildcat said:
Wow, You need to be wearing nomex to be in this thread. Please educate me for a minute. What is the function of a throw out bearing and what are the symtoms of a failure? Thanks for taking the time to explain.

id like to know as well

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Wildcat said:

The throwout bearing goes between the clutch fork and the fingers on the pressure plate. The pressure plate spins and the fork is stationary. The TOB is what allows a stationary part to act on one that is moving. When the clutch is completely engaged (pedal all the way at the top of its travel) the clutch fork (or is it the pressure plate?) should not be touching the TOB. IE the TOB should ONLY be spinning when the clutch pedal is being depressed.

A throwout bearing that is going bad will make a chirping or squeaking noise. Usually putting a little bit of pressure on the clutch pedal will make the noise stop.

I'm not sure about the bearing retainer.

bitten

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
What about us who no longer have a warranty. Are we forced to fork out thousands of dollars for a new tranny or are there any other cheaper solutions to fix this tob problem.

03Cobra/C5Killr

"Pin it to Win it."
Established Member
redfire550hp said:
mine started to squeal on my redfire after i pounded on it a bit....my first day at the track

Same here, after Hot August Nights mine was done. Sounded like silverware was tumbling around in there:cuss: after hammering on her all weekend and 2 passes down the 1/4 I was'nt suprised. Oh well just an excuse to buy better aftermarket stuff.

LANIGRL

CrazyCobraLady
Established Member
:eek: Wow i think i got lucky .... my TOB started whining about 36,000 mi in 03. I was driving the car soo much it must not have had time to have a TOB problem .. anyway .. you CANT miss the sound, when i pressed the clutch in it stopped , let the clutch up it and u HEAR it . singing metal... I cant remember the exact events but at 41,000mi my whole clutch went !! Smokin,sceamin scary !!! AND FORD REPLACED it all for me , I had bought the extended warranty at purchase of my cobra CUZ i was a Woman driving her first NEW muscle car. I now know that some people consider driving a car 54,860 miles in a year and a half abuse but the FORD SVT guys thanked me for doing to their car what they intended for it to do DRIVE.I think that the extended warranty really was worth it. I think owner attitude and dealer sensitivity are key ingredients to happy Ford owners. We have great people down here at Honolulu Ford.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread