Votes: 43 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
LOL, this is rich, you pick on him for offering advice on legal issues and you sit there and say your a customer advocate yet try and tell people that they are abusing their TOB. Since you are a "MASTER" at what it is you do, please explaine to us how we are abusing the TOB??? Please O wise one, teach us mere mortals how driving our cars is abusing our TOB's after you have already admitted that the TOB is not affected by HP/TQ then what the f()ck is it affected by? How are they being abused to cause these failures?

And before you go off on how customers are screwing ford etc, the majority of us have no problem paying for things we break, but when ford goes out of their way to prevent us from getting these parts its definatly a problem. I for one think the lame excuse of abuse is being employed more frequently by dealerships because Ford is taking it in the A$$ for all of the faulty parts they are putting in these cars, heads, TOB's, vibrations to name name a few.

First of all what I am saying is that once you modify your car all bets are off. If the dealership that you take your car to can prove that you have abused the car all bets are off. 2nd the bearing reatiner is not availible as a replacement part for that trans to anyone, including Ford dealers. Thats why we have to replace transmissions instead of just bearing retainers. So this big conspiricy theory on Ford not giving the parts to customers to force them to buy transmissions is false. Another thing that is causing these TOB and retainer probelms is when people are shifting these cars repeatedly hard the clutch fork will tweak causing the bearing to dig into the bearing retainer. If you want to vent on someone fine. Don't make it personal. The other guy asked me a question about what i do and I answered it. Yes I have alot of experience that i try to help people on these boards with. There's alot of bad info on this site but also alot of good info so take out of it what you want.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
SVTADVISOR I don't care if you are a master bater you don't have a clue. I used to be a Ford mechanic and the transmissions ford uses suck big dog dick. You can jingle the companies bell somewhere else and stop instigating the other members.

SVTADVISOR, contribute to the thread and stay on topic or don't post at all.

Keep on topic please.

You're a Moderator talking to people like that? What a poor choice you are!

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
OK guys, if I have a new set of Nitto's on my car that have no wear what so ever, will they void my warr. because I changed tires? I really don't like the Goodyears. Ford won't see any fault in this will they? Reasons for not liking the Goods, I have had two F1's on a BMW with a bulge in the sidewall. Was a factory defect but can be a very dangerous situation. Two cases of this made me a believer of needing to find another tire. I like things with higher quality, and the F1's don't look as good on the car as Nitto's do. I call this the P/Q ratio, better known as price per quality ratio. The Nitto's have a better ratio than the F1's.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Yates...Man
OK guys, if I have a new set of Nitto's on my car that have no wear what so ever, will they void my warr. because I changed tires? I really don't like the Goodyears. Ford won't see any fault in this will they? Reasons for not liking the Goods, I have had two F1's on a BMW with a bulge in the sidewall. Was a factory defect but can be a very dangerous situation. Two cases of this made me a believer of needing to find another tire. I like things with higher quality, and the F1's don't look as good on the car as Nitto's do. I call this the P/Q ratio, better known as price per quality ratio. The Nitto's have a better ratio than the F1's.
According to our resident gur adviser you modified the car and obviously have intentions of abusing it since you put DR's on your warranty is void sorry!

First of all what I am saying is that once you modify your car all bets are off. If the dealership that you take your car to can prove that you have abused the car all bets are off. 2nd the bearing reatiner is not availible as a replacement part for that trans to anyone, including Ford dealers. Thats why we have to replace transmissions instead of just bearing retainers. So this big conspiricy theory on Ford not giving the parts to customers to force them to buy transmissions is false.
The retainer issue isnt nearly as common as the TOB issue itself and more often than not the retainer is damaged on cars that ford wont deal with the TOB on. You need to spend a bit more time here reading, there are a lot of guys with low miles, very few if any mods, never race their cars etc who have this problem and are being denied service. Some have had the problem multiple times as well and are being denied service because they SVTAdisor deems multiple failures means the car has been abused when in actuality its simply a poorly manufactured product based on a poor design. You say ford isnt to blame, but they are the ones using this tranny in their cars. I would think after replacing so many tranny's for such a menial part as a retainer that they would perhaps ride tremecs ass and get them to redesign the front plate so a new retainer can be installed without a whole tranny replacement.

Another thing that is causing these TOB and retainer probelms is when people are shifting these cars repeatedly hard the clutch fork will tweak causing the bearing to dig into the bearing retainer.
I find this amusing as well since tremec says a shifter with stops isnt needed yet 90% of the cars with these problems have an aftermarket shifter with a stop which means that even hard shifting should not be causing the problem you describe.

I can understand that mpdifying a car can have consequences and most people are willing to deal with it but at the same time, why syhould someone, modded or not have to live with a faulty product? For example, I have a second run car, it has the head tick. I put a KB blower on before I realized thats what the tick was, I assumed it was an exhaust leak. Now, I am stuck dealing with ford faulty parts after the fact for a known and recognized issue, its just not right.

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member

Yates, it depends on the dealer. Some dealers get real pissy when they see DR's on the car, some don't. I've never had it come up, but then, I have so many other mads that they took as dislike to. :shrug:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Yates, the dealership has to prove that any failure that you have is related to a modification or abuse. Changing tires does not void your warranty based on what you might do.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Thank God, because I just ordered a set. I ain't gonna put em on if it voids my warr. I'm very nervous. I think I am going to get another vehicle to drive everyday until the TOB fix is ready. I don't want my TOB retainer to self destruct while driving it daily. What do you guys think should I park the car until it can be fixed? Or will this thing hold up? If I had the parts I would go get it fixed at my own expense just for piece of mind.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thank God, because I just ordered a set. I ain't gonna put em on if it voids my warr. I'm very nervous. I think I am going to get another vehicle to drive everyday until the TOB fix is ready. I don't want my TOB retainer to self destruct while driving it daily. What do you guys think should I park the car until it can be fixed? Or will this thing hold up? If I had the parts I would go get it fixed at my own expense just for piece of mind.

Yates, I don't know what mods you have, but if the dealer is OK with them, I would drive it. Hopefully, it WILL screw your retainer up, and then you can get a new tranny. THEN you can worry about a better clutch/TOB to keep from destroying the new one.

BTW, mine's a DD too.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
That's my plan of action then, all my mods are in my sig. Do you guys think I will have any probs?

Mods:
Magna Cat Back
Redline Syn. oil
K&N Filtercharger, that replaces the stock air box.
Kirban Shifter from Amazon
And possibly the tires when they come in.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Yates, go talk to your service advisor, then go talk to the tech who is working on your car. Ask them direct questions about the mods and if they are going to have any issues about working on your car under warranty. Ford tech Hotline will ask the tech if or what mods have been done to the car. If that becomes an issue then talk to another dealer.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
That's my plan of action then, all my mods are in my sig. Do you guys think I will have any probs?

Mods:
Magna Cat Back
Redline Syn. oil
K&N Filtercharger, that replaces the stock air box.
Kirban Shifter from Amazon
And possibly the tires when they come in.

You should be fine. I would call the dealer first, list your mods (but not your name or VIN) and ask if they have any isses with them. The big thing dealers tend to get pissy about for tranny work is quadrants.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
You should be fine. I would call the dealer first, list your mods (but not your name or VIN) and ask if they have any isses with them. The big thing dealers tend to get pissy about for tranny work is quadrants.
That is something else that doesnt make a lot of sense to me, we all know that with the stock quad the thing doesnt release till very close to floor, the aftermarket one will allow for a much better release in my mind, why would that cause problems?

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I try to sell the aftermarket one to my cobra and mustang customers. I don't know why a dealer would void warranty based on that. Unless it was installed incorrectly.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
I try to sell the aftermarket one to my cobra and mustang customers. I don't know why a dealer would void warranty based on that. Unless it was installed incorrectly.

This is what happened in my case. I had problems with the TOB, dealer fixed them, they resurfaced. After the second time it went bad and the dealer began being uncooperative, I installed a UPR quadrant, FW adjuster, and cable. They didn't help, of course, because the TOB was already screwed up. I brought it back in, dealer gave me flack, told me they were calling the rep, and so on. I told them to forget it, and went and installed a spec clutch and all the goodies to get rid of the problem. Problem IMMEDIATELY resurfaced, telling me that it's not the TOB that is the problem. I have the tranny pulled again, and within 10 minutes, my tech sees that the bearing retainer is badly worn. We spend 3 days trying to find the part, no one will sell it. We put the tranny back together, and I take it to a DIFFERENT Ford dealer. They tell me that they will see what they can do, but if warranty is denied, I will have to pay for labor to take the tranny out. I say OK. They call the rep. Rep says, "He has a quadrant, his choices are A) Pay $4100 and put all the stock components back in along with a new tranny or B) His warranty is void. I chose B. I think I have a right to be pissed.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I can see why you are upset. Is that the only mods to the car?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
I can see why you are upset. Is that the only mods to the car?

Nope, but all my other mods were approved by the dealer before I installed them. Other mods are 2.93 pulley (no chip), CAI, and mufflers cut off. I also installed a UPR shifter at the same time as the quadrant/adjuster/cable.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
If that dealer told you it was okay to mod your car, why are they giving you so much greif now. Did they give you a reason? Did someone from Ford come and look at your car? It sounds like your dealer needs to step up if they told you it was okay to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread