TOB Retaining Sleeve - if it breaks, do I need a new tranny?

Black03WPB

Established Member
I saw two people so far say that they brought their terminators in for service and they found out that the TOB Retainer Sleeve broke and they got new transmissions..

I believe mine has gone out ( its getting harder and harder for me to shift now.. so Im replacing my clutch which is spent and my flywheel )

Now, do I need a new transmission? I have 34,800 miles on my car, and its been pullied for a while.. I have a feeling they wont want to replace my transmission without a fight.. shit!

Im very scared now, and Im getting my new clutch put in wednesday.

Thanks,
Ryan

03DOHC

Established Member
There is a TSB that says to replace the retainer. They did that on mine and they did something wrong because the tranny howled like a stuck pig afterward. I had my car towed back to the dealer and they replaced my tranny. If it is just a broken retainer they should be able to install the TSB retainer and it should be fine.....if they don't screw it up like they did on mine. :) If they can't get a TSB kit they may opt to replace the tranny, so it depends.

stevieb

Established Member
They had to replace my trans because when the retainer broke, the input bearing damaged the case and Ford would not sell the dealer a new case but rather the entire assembly. Worked for me.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Ford now supplies a new TOB and sleeve assembly, so you don't have to replace the whole trans unless something else is wrong with it.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Had my retainer sleeve shear off but i replaced it with a spare i had laying around on a t-45 out of my 97 cobra...if it makes any wierd noises its going to ford for them to replace..i'm not shelling out cash for a tranny that has defective parts on it..modded or not.

Jay

Juiced-03

Established Member
The sleeve on mine busted apart, and I had to pay $370 for a new retainer assembly. The labor was free since I replaced my clutch at the same time. $270 for labor + $340 for clutch & TOB + $370 for retainer = OUCH!!! Especially right after Christmas.

But god damn...the tranny shifts SO nice now!!! HUGE difference in shifting and clutch pedal feel.

smrtasp

Established Member
I just took mine in for the squeeling noise from the TOB and got a call from Ford 10 minutes ago.....1400 for a new clutch. They tell me the clutch is completely gone, even the fly wheel is trash. Its got 18000 miles on it. Its been in twice for all the noise and chattering the clutch has been doing since the day I drove it off the lot. I knew this would happen. Problem is now they have it all torn apart and tried to tell me that its the only rack they can do this work on. I told them to call me when the SVT rep shows up so I can scream at all of them for this. This is insane. The worst part is that this car has never seen the track. I just drive it to and from work everyday and occasionally take it to Vegas. Sounds like im paying them to install a centerforce clutch. No way ford stuff is going back in this car.

Users who are viewing this thread