Too much power?

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I have a 3.2 pulley, magnaflow x-pipe, FR 500 catback, and a K&N cone filter. It sure seems like the car moves faster than my driving skills can handle; especailly for street driving. In the rain it sure seems like I'm doing burnouts a lot and the traction control really bogs the car down. On dry roads the car hauls ass but there are very few, if any, open stretches here in the S.F. Bay Area where I can really open the car up and run it to its potential safely (at least to where I feel safe). Is anyone else having this problem or am I the only lame driver here?

tommygun

Established Member
dont push it, eventually you will become comfotable with the power you have and then go from there.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I think you're the only one, buddy. "There's no such thing as too much horsepower". At 450 RWHP, 480 RWTQ, this car seems just right for everyday street driving. I'll be looking for another 200+ RWHP when I get some dope next year (providing that I still have the car by then). Oh yeah, I drive it in the rain sometimes too and have no problem with all the power. Just learn how to tame it and you'll be wanting more soon enough for those dry days.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And, you might want to turn Traction Control off every time you start the car. It is more dangerous on than off. That is, unless you think you need it on to control your driving habits.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Dr. Mike prescribes RACING SCHOOL ASAP. Look into it, or get involved with a track event with SVTOA and get it out of your system!

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
I have a 3.2 pulley, magnaflow x-pipe, FR 500 catback, and a K&N cone filter. It sure seems like the car moves faster than my driving skills can handle; especailly for street driving. In the rain it sure seems like I'm doing burnouts a lot and the traction control really bogs the car down. On dry roads the car hauls ass but there are very few, if any, open stretches here in the S.F. Bay Area where I can really open the car up and run it to its potential safely (at least to where I feel safe). Is anyone else having this problem or am I the only lame driver here?

Actually I can see where he is coming from, I have always had fast cars BB Chevy's etc.. some type of hot rod anyway. I feel more than comforatable with the power level and I am a confident driver, but this I believe is the most powerfull car I have ever owned.. even before the KB. There is just no where safe to open it up.. there is just not enough road.. it gets up there so quick, cops hearing you blocks away, but then maybe I am getting old. Just be carefull is all, keep it out of the residential area's and more towards freeways and onramps..

I plan on takin it to the strip, didnt have time this summer but for sure next.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Im well over 500rwhp myself and as the summer came to a close I was just thinking to myself....damn this thing just doesnt feel that fast anymore.

torchred03

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
Dr. Mike prescribes RACING SCHOOL ASAP. Look into it, or get involved with a track event with SVTOA and get it out of your system!

I agree with Dr. Mike. LEARN how to drive the car, and you will never want to stop driving it.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I know where your coming from... I used to have a 92 5.0 mustang running 13.50s I thought it was pretty fast. It took me a full month to get used to the 03 and mine is stock! Now Im hooked and ready for the pulley and exhaust :D Take your time you dont want to run it into the back of someone....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Give him a couple of months and he'll be asking which mods to do first because he wants more power. :beer: :lol1: :lol1: :beer:

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra

Just drop it off at my house. I'll send you away with a Focus with AT. Even trade. Problem solved:beer:

SC457A

Established Member
easy rules to live by

get used to the car, respect the car's abilities, use your head not your foot. enjoy it.

i have played with fast cars for years, i have raced my dragster which runs 7.80s at 170mph every weekend for 5 years so the acceleration is great for a street car but im not scared of the car. i can feel the car, and know what to do and when to do it if it gets goofy. if your not comfy.. slow down

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Give him a couple of months and he'll be asking which mods to do first because he wants more power. :beer: :lol1: :lol1: :beer:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CWCobra

Established Member
It's the traffic, man. I know what you mean. On my 22 mile interstate commute, I often cannot get past 3rd gear the entire way home. Imagine driving an '03 Cobra, with all the power at your disposal, for 22 miles and not be able to even shift into 4th gear! BUMMER!!!

I find myself getting up at 6:00AM on weekends, just so I can drive my Cobra at "highway" speeds. That's the only time traffic conditions permit it anymore. Sometimes I miss the old days, deserted roads.

Let's be careful out there,
CW

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I remember when I got my 01 Cobra Vert. I thought I was going to kill myself as I'd been used to FWD 135hp imports... (I was 19) In any case I'm glad I took it easy and learned how to 'drive'. Now most of my friends are more comfortable with me driving balls to the wall than most other people they know. It took quite a while to learn how the 03 handles compared to the 01, but as for the power... MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!

;)

-- Jaret

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
The problem is that your brain isn't caught up with the car yet. Don't worry, it'll adapt in a month or two.

Same thing happens with roller coasters and bungie jumping. Your brain isn't use to handling the sudden sensory rush and you get overload- that's what gives you the giggles. Your brain thinks you're going to die and goes into "oh sh*t" mode. It's like a drug- after a while you adapt and you need more and more to get the same "high".

The real fun is after you're use to the car, take someone who's never been for a ride in anything close to this level of violence and park them in the passangers seat. :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread