Tool for coolant refill with vacuum

papajoewill

Established Member
Trying to understand with this tool if you would suction/fill at the coolant crossover port or at the expansion tank?

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
After reading this thread and multiple experiences filling up coolant in DHOC 4.6's, I would never consider buying the tool to purge. It's just way to easy to apply a little heat to the burp plug to remove, and fill from that location. Cobras, Mach 1, Marauders and probably lincolns have the burp plug at the uppermost location by design and for a reason. Most are just to lazy to take time to apply heat to the plug. If done correctly, it doesn't even mess up the powder coat on the crossover. To each his own I guess!

papajoewill

Established Member
After reading this thread and multiple experiences filling up coolant in DHOC 4.6's, I would never consider buying the tool to purge. It's just way to easy to apply a little heat to the burp plug to remove, and fill from that location. Cobras, Mach 1, Marauders and probably lincolns have the burp plug at the uppermost location by design and for a reason. Most are just to lazy to take time to apply heat to the plug. If done correctly, it doesn't even mess up the powder coat on the crossover. To each his own I guess!
I just got a new engine from MHS and don’t want to question any air pockets or the process in general. What’s 100ish bucks for peace of mind when I’ve spent close to 20k on a motor? To me it’s worth it.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Have the same tool. Used it several times. Works great, put mixed coolant in 5 gal bucket. Put tool in expansion tank, pull a vac. with shop air. Hold the vac. For 5 min. Then let it suck up the coolant from the bucket. Easy peasy!

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I just got a new engine from MHS and don’t want to question any air pockets or the process in general. What’s 100ish bucks for peace of mind when I’ve spent close to 20k on a motor? To me it’s worth it.
20k ain't shit. Neither is $100 for a tool. To each his own, as I say again

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe you should try using the tool before you bad mouth it. I've filled my cooling system both ways. Even had it down to wear I didn't need to burp it after filling. The vacuum tool is still easier. Less mess and takes about 30 seconds to make sure there's no leak.
Have the same tool. Used it several times. Works great, put mixed coolant in 5 gal bucket. Put tool in expansion tank, pull a vac. with shop air. Hold the vac. For 5 min. Then let it suck up the coolant from the bucket. Easy peasy!
Same here. Though I only have it hold the vacuum for a minute or two. I've learned if there's a leak it'll show while trying to pull the vacuum.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Maybe you should try using the tool before you bad mouth it. I've filled my cooling system both ways. Even had it down to wear I didn't need to burp it after filling. The vacuum tool is still easier. Less mess and takes about 30 seconds to make sure there's no leak.

Same here. Though I only have it hold the vacuum for a minute or two. I've learned if there's a leak it'll show while trying to pull the vacuum.
Show me where I bad mouthed the tool? You can't! The tool is absolutely not necessary unless you yourself are a tool. Kids PFTT

01yellercobra

Established Member
Show me where I bad mouthed the tool? You can't! The tool is absolutely not necessary unless you yourself are a tool. Kids PFTT
Your whole post is bad mouthing it and saying those that use it don't know what they're doing.

Yep, I'm just a kid that has no clue what I'm doing.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Yeah im sure the factory had guys standing around running heat cycles and burping through that plug lolololol. Please.

MG0h3

Established Member
Never used one of those but everyone that has seems to like them.

I was a tech for @7yrs and the shop never had one.

Just left the vehicle running with the coolant funnel in while I cleaned up my tools and and completed the work order.

Only had my cooling system open once for a Tstat change. Had to zip tie my coolant funnel in place because there is no adaptor.

After hearing all the horror stories I let it run 15min or so, occasionally held the roms around 2500 for 30 seconds, squeezed the hoses, heat on max temp setting.

No issue.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Never used one of those but everyone that has seems to like them.

I was a tech for @7yrs and the shop never had one.

Just left the vehicle running with the coolant funnel in while I cleaned up my tools and and completed the work order.

Only had my cooling system open once for a Tstat change. Had to zip tie my coolant funnel in place because there is no adaptor.

After hearing all the horror stories I let it run 15min or so, occasionally held the roms around 2500 for 30 seconds, squeezed the hoses, heat on max temp setting.

No issue.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Amazing! I guess we should consider ourselves lucky! Tools don't make a mechanic, knowledge does. I ain't even a mechanic or claim to be on the interweb.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Your whole post is bad mouthing it and saying those that use it don't know what they're doing.

Yep, I'm just a kid that has no clue what I'm doing.
Show me on the doll what sentence hurt your feelings?

I agree with you last sentence!
Yeah im sure the factory had guys standing around running heat cycles and burping through that plug lolololol. Please.
Who's discussing factory assembly, besides your slow ass.

OSU34

Established Member
i totally get you spent 20k on a motor but spending $100 on a tool to burp the system not more than you can count on your hand is a little crazy. Having filled & burped my coolant system about 10 times now, it’s incredibly easy.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I have the tool. And it works great. Like MOST tools....they don't make an impossible job possible. They make a possible job easiER.

Users who are viewing this thread