Top Gear 2nd Episode: What did you think?

monX

Established Member
What did you guys think of the 2nd episode?

I see big improvements from the 1st episode, I actually enjoyed watching this one. Tanner is great for this, I wish they used Paul Tracy as another host with Tanner but I suspect him being the stig! I can't stand the guy with the mole :burn:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
What did you guys think of the 2nd episode?

I see big improvements from the 1st episode, I actually enjoyed watching this one. Tanner is great for this, I wish they used Paul Tracy as another host with Tanner but I suspect him being the stig! I can't stand the guy with the mole :burn:

The second i saw their Stig i was convinced it was Paul Tracy. One of the shots last week you could see into the visor some and it looked like him.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Second episode seemed to be a step backward from the first...which was barely OK, but got a first episode pass. Top Gear USA can work...but already it's behind...and may never be as good as the original. I'll give it time...but a couple of times I went for the remote in this episode. I like Adam Ferrara as he can deliver a line, but he ain't much of a car guy...and it shows.

monX

Established Member
The second i saw their Stig i was convinced it was Paul Tracy. One of the shots last week you could see into the visor some and it looked like him.

Interesting... I kept thinking it's gotta be him because it makes sense... but def didn't notice what you caught!

PowerShiftz02gt

Established Member
I thought it was a little bit of an improvement.

I think Tanner as a host is great. The other 2 guys have to go. They can't even perform a controlled drift around a cone.. 1 out of the 3 host can actually drive a car which doesn't make sense to me on a show like this. the guy with the mole was burning the hell out of that 370Z clutch and couldn't even do a rolling burnout. are you kidding me?

Was it me or did it look like when the V12 vantage was in the warehouse drifting around corners that was a stuntdevil rather than Rutledge(spelling) himself.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It's hard not to compare TG USA to the original one, especially since TG USA is trying to be just like TG UK. Of course the UK version is better so the US version has a lot to live up to. TG USA is a decent show, far better than any other American car show I've seen, but I'm still not hooked on it. I didn't notice that much of a difference between the first and second episode, but I was in and out of it towards the end since I was on the phone with the GF. I do have to say the Aston Martin segment was pretty good.

I wonder what the people of TG UK think about the USA version......

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It's hard not to compare TG USA to the original one, especially since TG USA is trying to be just like TG UK.

I believe in order to fully compare the two, compare apples to apples, ie the first season of TGUK to the first season of TGUS.

Right now TGUK is a basis for the show but its not going to be the end result; TGUS will evolve into its own entity given the same amount of time as TGUK.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I thought the first episode was good, I liked the Cobra helicopter skit. I would have liked them to try and make it a little different from the original Top Gear, but I will take any car show. I don't know who the Ferrara guy is, never heard of him, and Rutledge is a goof, probably why they chose him.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
I really enjoyed the second episode!
I was told not to compare it with the British version...

Tanner is awesome!

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
I believe in order to fully compare the two, compare apples to apples, ie the first season of TGUK to the first season of TGUS.

Right now TGUK is a basis for the show but its not going to be the end result; TGUS will evolve into its own entity given the same amount of time as TGUK.

Tis.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Am I the only one that's tired of all the drifting nonsense? Drifting isn't about driving fast, it's about looking cool. They're going to alienate a ton of people if all they do is drift through every episode and try to pass it off as good driving.

As for not comparing it to the current TGUK, maybe if they showed an ounce of originality I wouldn't have to. The producers were handed a working formula on a silver platter; the UK version already went through the growing pains! I'm also tired of all the excuses being made for the hosts; they have no personality on their own, and they aren't funny. That's not stuff that can be learned or fixed as time goes by, so why should the show suffer for it? I find it extremely hard to believe that they can't find three people with at least some charisma who happen to at least appreciate cars.

Last edited:

monX

Established Member

Very well said.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Am I the only one that's tired of all the drifting nonsense? Drifting isn't about driving fast, it's about looking cool. They're going to alienate a ton of people if all they do is drift through every episode and try to pass it off as good driving.

Probably due to the fact Foust is the DK.

As for not comparing it to the current TGUK, maybe if they showed an ounce of originality I wouldn't have to. The producers were handed a working formula on a silver platter; the UK version already went through the growing pains! I'm also tired of all the excuses being made for the hosts; they have no personality on their own, and they aren't funny. That's not stuff that can be learned or fixed as time goes by, so why should the show suffer for it? I find it extremely hard to believe that they can't find three people with at least some charisma who happen to at least appreciate cars.

Seriously.

Watch season 1 of TGUK.

Hammond, Clarkson or May had 0 personality either, until they grew into their respective niche personalities challenge after challenge, show after show, until what you see today what, 16 seasons later?

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I would like to have seen someone like Tim Allen. There are a number of tv stars that are well known car guys, that could have done a good job on a show like this.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

I totally agree that the first season of TG UK was not good, and that they had to grow into it. I actually watched all the seasons of TG UK one month and each season it got better and better. That's why I said that TG USA has a lot to live up to. The UK version is at a great pace now and got past its awkward beginnings.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Probably due to the fact Foust is the DK.

Seriously.

Watch season 1 of TGUK.

Hammond, Clarkson or May had 0 personality either, until they grew into their respective niche personalities challenge after challenge, show after show, until what you see today what, 16 seasons later?

That's nice and all, but you know they won't get the chance to grow. They need to have personality now, or the show will get canned and they'll never get another chance. Also, it shouldn't take multiple seasons for a TV personality to actually get a personality. Think about shows like Tosh.0. That dude, like it or not, had personality from day 1. Is it so hard to find at least one person like that who's also into cars?

Users who are viewing this thread