Top IRS Bolt Stripped

missile man

Established Member
Need some advice. Changed the springs in the cobra this weekend using an alternative method and messed up the upper IRS retaining bolt. Already purchased a new one but want to replace it and not screw it up again. I dropped the IRS a little by taking the two IRS bolts out on each side and the springs literally just fall out. It worked pretty good with the exception of this one mishap. I guess I had too much pressure on the IRS either loaded or unloaded when I unscrewed the bolt. Any ideas on how I can keep this from happening when I change out the old for the new?:shrug:

Last edited:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Just get a spring compressor and leave the irs alone.... Be careful tho! :) he he heh

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
have you gotten the stock one out yet? If so then try putting some antiseize on the new bolt it will at least keep it from seizing up on you. Other than that, I couldnt tell you. No one else has posted this prob to my knowlege.

03'Darin

Established Member
First off you probably didn't screw up the bolt when you took it out. I put the MM IRS bushings in my car and my passenger side rear/upper bolt had most of the threads mashed on it. The threads were ok in the entire area where the nut screws on but in past there they were damaged.

I just put rear springs in my car also and the rear ride height is much higher than I expected (27 7/8" from ground to wheel well lip). Some guys mentioned on here that the IRS needed to have the weight of the car on it before you tighten the IRS bolts down for proper ride height. So I went through the process again of jacking up the car, loosening the bolts and re-tightening them. Turned out to be 1/8" higher when I let the car back down.

Anyway.......all you need to do is jack the rear of the car up and put stands under the chassis(not the IRS sub-frame). Take a jack and support the IRS sub-frame with just enough pressure to keep it from dropping when you remove the bolt. Take the damaged bolt out. Look through the bushing hole to make sure the nut is lined up with the hole. If the hole doesn't line up raise or lower the jack slightly until everything is lined up. Now just install the new bolt. Easy as that.

Darin

BTW....which springs did you put in?? If you are running stock tire sizes can you measure the distance from the groung to the wheel lip at the center (highest point) of the wheel lip opening and let me know what you get.

Last edited:

missile man

Established Member
Darin, This is just what I was lookin for. You da Man. Thanks.
I am running the BBK progressive rate springs. I will measure the height once I get home. I did the hand/finger measurement and I went from a full hand to about 3 fingers.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by missile man
I did the hand/finger measurement and I went from a full hand to about 3 fingers.

Damn.......I think I can get a full four in mine. Let me know the measurement.

Glad I could help.

Darin

missile man

Established Member
Hey Darin, I measured the height and it is 27 and 3/4 inches to the fender lip. I ws told to let it settle for about a month before getting any real measurements. Hope this helps. Tom.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I ws told to let it settle for about a month before getting any real measurements. Hope this helps. Tom.

Yet thats what I though with my Kenny brown springs and no dice. I'm thinks about cutting one ring of the top spring. I want it at least another 1 1/2 lowered.:cuss:

03'Darin

Established Member
I called Eibach's tech line yesterday because of my car not getting anywhere near their advertised drop. The first guy I spoke to wanted me to make sure I put the front springs in the front and the rear springs in the rear AND to make sure they were right side up. They are! Then I was transferred to the tech guy. The tech guys starts to go through this detail about how when most shops pull the control arms and sway bar to do the install they don't re-tourque the bolts with load on the suspension so the bushings don't settle correctly and so on. Well I installed the springs and did it the way Ford describes in the shop manual. That is by dropping the rear of the IRS carrier. When I re-installed everything I even put spring compressors on the springs when I bolted the IRS back in to insure I didn't have any sag in the suspension and the IRS was up as far as it would go. When I wasn't happy with the results I loosened the IRS again to make sure it was seated correctly. Same results.

I started to question the tech regarding spring rates and advertised drop between the 99-01 cars versus the weight and factory spring changes of the 03-04 cars. The tech then tells me that they have not changed the rates for the 03-04 cars and the drop won't be nearly as much because they are already lower form the factory than the 99-01 cars. WTF!! If they know that why don't they sell the correct springs for the car or put the difference in their catalogue. How hard can it be to list the correct information in their web sight and in their catalogues??

The tech then tells me to insure the springs are seated properly I need to put the car back on jack stands........disconnect the sway bar........unbolt the shocks......and jack each control arm up as far as possible. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to unbolt the sway bar.:bash: :bash: :bash:

I have used Eibach's for years with great success, but I can tell you that my next spring purchase will be researched much better than this one was.

Eibach......for your job on this spring kit........:shrug: :loser: :kaboom:

Darin

Users who are viewing this thread