Votes: 131 85.1%
  • GT/CS (California Special)

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison as I'm not sure about the caliper stiffness on the new cars, but when I switched from Cobra brakes to Brembos in the front there was a noticeable improvement in feel. That was a direct result of a significant increase in caliper stiffness. Another bonus was better heat dissipation due to increased thermal mass of the caliper body itself. More consistent pad wear was improved as well with the fixed caliper.

From what I've been reading/hearing, there isn't a significant improvement in stopping distance between the standard brakes and the Brembos, but there is an improvement in fade resistance after repeated hard stops/threshold braking.

Bottom line is that performance-wise, unless you're going to open track the car, you'll likely never notice the difference. So it really comes down to esthetics/19"wheel option, which is merely a personal preference thing.

I don't really like any of the wheel offerings, so I'd opt to go standard brakes and pick out my own wheels and upgrade brakes if I felt compelled to do so.

I wouldn't spend a dime for a CS package...but I like clean and simple. They're too busy for my taste.

That's me too. I got a 401a option in sterling gray and a auto, standard brakes. I can always get the carbon pads like I have on 03. I plan on getting different wheels anyway, some kind of chrome ones. Since it is a auto it's not a roadracer just want something decent in traffic and that can hold its own, close to my 03 in straight line. They called yesterday said it was in. So wed hope to go get it.

Grant808

Established Member
A problem with the CS package is the seats, the seating area is like rubber, I started sweating looking at it. At Cars yesterday a dealer brought a CS [#402 package], and a GT Premium [#400 package], the seats we're much better in the Prem. GT, and I sat in both, and Brembo's are available. What I need to sort out further is the # 401 package for $395.00, it does give the darker Alum. dash piece, but gotta check out the seats. Anyone compare yet??? Brembo's are also available with the #401 package. I'm thinking of a 6 speed '11 GT Premium Vert. with Brembo's, leaning 3.55's instead of 3.73's and maybe the 401 package, especially if the seats are perforated. Sterling Gray Metallic or Black. I have my Immaculate 03 Terminator Vert listed in the market. Anyone come out of a Term. into an '11 GT??

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you can't get the gears on the 'verts.

I'm keeping my '03 Cobra 'Vert...really different animals. Got the GT as a coupe because of the gears.

The only thing I really liked about the CS is the front facia, which I can bolt on later for $250 and get the brake duct cooling kit.

I preferred and got the 401A interior. Many dealers don't seem to take this option, so you might have trouble finding one to look at. I love it, and it always gets compliments...even from my GM loving friends.

As for the Brembo package...I know I could just as easily do the brakes myself...but the wheels and tires plus warranty coverage sealed the deal for me.

svt04cobra1

Established Member

I saw a black GT/CS and it looked really good IMO.
Other colors, not so much.

I didn't order it either. I just wanted, Nav, HID's, Backup camera, remote start, and my color choice was grabber blue. The dealer couldn't find one with these options so they found my 2nd color choice which was black. It just so happened to be a CS. I didn't order it that way it just had the options I wanted and the dealer put on the strips, tinted windows, and remote start so I took it. :beer:

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Im just going to hop right in here.......I think the brembo package comes with bigger rotors no? Well it seems it shouldn't be rocket size except for the simple fact that the increased rim size might negate performance some but often bigger rotors = more braking power, Unless its just bigger calipers to account for the more pistons.

1994 mustang gt w/ smaller 11.5in? rotors
Braking, 60-0, ft 131

where the 1995 Cobra R was 60-0ft was reported in 109-115 foot range

Technically, you're correct. All things being equal, the larger swept area of the larger rotor provides additional brake torque which helps stop a car quicker.

However not everything is equal. The standard brakes are more than powerful enough to lock up the wheels and tires. Adding bigger brakes just makes it easier to lock up the wheels. You don't actually stop any faster.

To actually reduce stopping distance in this situation you have to look at what's actually contacting the road...the tires. In the case of brembo vs non-brembo cars the reason we see about a 4-5 foot difference in stopping distance isn't because of the larger brembo brakes, but because of the stickier summer only tires that are found on that package.

Where larger brakes shine over smaller ones is repeatability. The larger rotors and pads can sink and dissipate more heat which means it's harder for them to induce fade. Important for anyone doing repeated harsh stops, like that of an auto x or open tracker. Or anybody that tends to abuse their brakes in public.

The multiple piston calipers also tend to provide more even distribution of braking forces thus providing better wear of the pads while also improving feel and creating a more progressive clamping force on the rotors.

I know that drag racers like small brakes, but I gotta tell you, I would have upgraded brakes on such a car. I've been in round-robyn situations enough to know that even in drag racing, brakes that are capable of repeated stops with little cool-down can be necessary. Less you like digging your car out of the gravel pit.

pohnjarker

Established Member
This is how I would build one, or what I would be looking for:

that is exactly what i got

Base GT Manual
Sterling Grey
3.73 Gears
Brembo Brake Package

I looked at the CS, at a local dealer, because it had what i wanted(3.73 gears in sterling grey) but had the stripes and huge spoiler which I didnt like.

Plus, the price tag for something purely cosmetic is not worth it to me. Same with the Roush Sport and Stage 1...not my style I guess.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
regular GT, then buy the CS lower front fascia and black upper grille. cheapest and best option imo. like others have said, many won't even tap the limits of the standard brakes, let alone the Brembos...

5.0jake

Established Member
The CS in black is hot!!
As far as top of the line 5.0, I would say the Roush 2

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Damn! for a minute I thought I was back on the Corvette forum. The way some of you are beating up on each other! LOL

Both Models are nice! They are both GTs with the 5.0 everything else is personal perference. I perfered the Gt with the brembo package simply because I had them on my 03 cobra and really like them.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
GT/CS is blahhh. Can't stand the spoiler or the wheels. Standard GT would be my choice, with or without the brembos.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Not a fan of the GT/CS.

A fully loaded premium GT minus the glass roof would be my preferred choice. With the extra dough you can add some badass high-end forged wheels. :rockon:

I'll take that over some vinyl stickers and a gaudy chrome grill any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
base gt with CS valence and saleen grille... but im bias...

IMAG0059.jpg

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Regular GT with Brembo's. I'm biased though, as I ordered mine with Brembo's, 3.73's, 401a, Glass Roof, HID's, Electronics, Comfort, and Security packages. And I'm loving the glass roof, anyone who's on the fence about it needs to just find one and sit in it. It's awesome.

Having said all that, I do like the C/S front fascia (though I'm not much on the wing), so I'll be ordering one of those very soon.

hand-filer

Established Member
A fully loaded 2012 premium GT(-the glass roof), Brembo package and 3.55 gears was my choice. I can't wait to take delivery. Reality check, there's 4 feet of snow on my lawn, I can wait.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
How much weight difference is there between a base GT and a fully loaded premium one?

Sent using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread