• Standard 5.0 w/ Brembos

Votes: 131 85.1%
  • GT/CS (California Special)

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wjk

Established Member
What do you guys think is the best optioned 2011 5.0?

The GT/CS is a couple grand more but you can't get the Brembo Brakes on it. The regular 5.0 you can get them put on...

I'm not going to buy either, but I just think its odd that the California Special which is the top of the line model doesn't have the option to get the Brembo Brakes.

Which would you prefer?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
the GT/CS no doubt looks better, but better without those decals. That really does suck that the brake package isn't available with it.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I'd take the GT. But I would never buy a special model of a car because I would be afraid to change anything on it. Its a waste to buy a CS, then change the body parts and stuff.

bssmith1220

Established Member
My dad has a silver CS and I have a base GT so I've been in and seen both up close. I really like the front fascia, rear spoiler, side scoops, and interior of the CS, but the wheels, stripes, billet grille, and 10k extra he paid I could do without.

wazslow

Established Member
Easier to put Brembo's on a CA special then to put all the stuff from a CA special on a regular GT. Not to mention I have 0 desire for the brembo's. The only racing my car will see is a drag strip. Unless you are going on a road course, I think they are a complete waste.

Driver72

Established Member
the GT/CS no doubt looks better, but better without those decals. That really does suck that the brake package isn't available with it.

I wouldn't say "no doubt" it looks better.
I think the CS looks better from the front, but nothing a Roush front end won't fix for $600-700

The side view of the CS doesn't look as good. The fake, useless tacked on side scoops is kind of sad and the stripe is only "ok" in the looks department. Better to have the 5.0 and a smaller nicer stripe.

The rear view is good except the wing is a TINY bit to ricer for me. But just barely. 10% smaller and it would pass.
I do like the carbon fiber interior look, though it's fake too.

Easier to put Brembo's on a CA special then to put all the stuff from a CA special on a regular GT. Not to mention I have 0 desire for the brembo's. The only racing my car will see is a drag strip. Unless you are going on a road course, I think they are a complete waste.

I completely disagree.
The Brembo brake package is much more than just the Brembo brakes, though putting them on a CS car won't be easy or cheap, as you'd need to buy a different set of wheels too.

Even if you never road race the car the Brembos are not a waste. That's like saying having the sport suspension on a car you don't plan on racing is a waste. Anytime you can get better braking (that could potentially save your life) not too mention better tires that give you more grip, better handling and more control for a factory warrantied option at the price they offer, it's a bargain.
Further more, the Brembo brake wheels/tires are not only better, but lighter and wider. The wheels/tires on the CS are the heaviest of them all. So you get slower acceleration, worse braking and steering as well (compounded on top of the fact the Brembo brake optioned car gets the best steering calibration Ford offers on the 2011 GT for best feel and response).

The fact of the matter is the CS is an appearance package, plain and simple. One could argue it's a factory "riced" option package, even though I do feel it looks classy, just not the best.
For it to really be special, they should of given it the Brembo brake package and maybe an exhaust that not only sounded a bit meaner but added 5-10 hp. Then made it a $3500 option.
Then it would be not only an appearance package but also a performance package all bundled into one.

Get the Brembo brake package and then modify the appearance of your car as you wish/see fit.
Then you have the best performance option you can get and you truly have a "special" looking car too.

wazslow

Established Member
I wouldn't say "no doubt" it looks better.
I think the CS looks better from the front, but nothing a Roush front end won't fix for $600-700

The side view of the CS doesn't look as good. The fake, useless tacked on side scoops is kind of sad and the stripe is only "ok" in the looks department. Better to have the 5.0 and a smaller nicer stripe.

The rear view is good except the wing is a TINY bit to ricer for me. But just barely. 10% smaller and it would pass.
I do like the carbon fiber interior look, though it's fake too.

I completely disagree.
The Brembo brake package is much more than just the Brembo brakes, though putting them on a CS car won't be easy or cheap, as you'd need to buy a different set of wheels too.

Even if you never road race the car the Brembos are not a waste. That's like saying having the sport suspension on a car you don't plan on racing is a waste. Anytime you can get better braking (that could potentially save your life) not too mention better tires that give you more grip, better handling and more control for a factory warrantied option at the price they offer, it's a bargain.
Further more, the Brembo brake wheels/tires are not only better, but lighter and wider. The wheels/tires on the CS are the heaviest of them all. So you get slower acceleration, worse braking and steering as well (compounded on top of the fact the Brembo brake optioned car gets the best steering calibration Ford offers on the 2011 GT for best feel and response).

The fact of the matter is the CS is an appearance package, plain and simple. One could argue it's a factory "riced" option package, even though I do feel it looks classy, just not the best.
For it to really be special, they should of given it the Brembo brake package and maybe an exhaust that not only sounded a bit meaner but added 5-10 hp. Then made it a $3500 option.
Then it would be not only an appearance package but also a performance package all bundled into one.

Get the Brembo brake package and then modify the appearance of your car as you wish/see fit.
Then you have the best performance option you can get and you truly have a "special" looking car too.

I dont need a car that can handle any better than a regular GT. I traded in a 2009 Z51 Corvette for this car. If I wanted handling I would have kept that. And I would say even with that car, if you weren't going to use it on a road coarse the z51 option was a waste. You couldn't really make use of the suspension on the street anyway. Ill bet the bremebo's dont stop significantly better than the regular brakes. I think its just the fact that they dont fade after repetitive stops which really would make 0 difference to me on the street. For me the brembo's are useless, I will be drag racing this car. If I could have gotten smaller brakes I would have...LOL

midlife

Established Member
I dont need a car that can handle any better than a regular GT. I traded in a 2009 Z51 Corvette for this car. If I wanted handling I would have kept that. And I would say even with that car, if you weren't going to use it on a road coarse the z51 option was a waste. You couldn't really make use of the suspension on the street anyway. Ill bet the bremebo's dont stop significantly better than the regular brakes. I think its just the fact that they dont fade after repetitive stops which really would make 0 difference to me on the street. For me the brembo's are useless, I will be drag racing this car. If I could have gotten smaller brakes I would have...LOL

A very nteresting point of view.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Top of the line in my mind is a no option GT, spoiler delete. But you don't have that as a choice....

Bottom of the line is something with every option, and especially useless body-cladding stuff.

To each their own, of course.

Bob Cosby

Established Member

+ Infinity

cgjarvis

Established Member
Top of the line in my mind is a no option GT, spoiler delete. But you don't have that as a choice....

Bottom of the line is something with every option, and especially useless body-cladding stuff.

To each their own, of course.

That's why I ordered my base GT with just 3.55s and Brembos. Great at either track and a light ass bitch!! Top of the line in my eyes. More is less. :rockon:

Driver72

Established Member

Interesting, but like others have said to each their own.
Weird why you'd trade in a newer Vette for a Mustang, unless it was a financial thing. The Vette (as I'm sure you know) can be made to be a pretty stout and rad drag car easily too.

As for the Brembo's, I'd take that bet and raise you a few.
Bigger rotors, bigger pads, more contact patch with more even pressure from more pistons on a car that weighs the same and has better/stickier tires. Don't know how one could possibly bet against better (and shorter) braking distances? And from what I've read so far, the feel alone is much better with the Brembos too, and as you mentioned less fade (which is important for those of us who live in areas that get over 100 degrees, love to drive canyons that can include some steep downhill grades that can overheat brakes). To some that is very important as well (though less so for me as I'm not overly picky about feel unless the base brakes are grabby or completely non-progressive.

Last edited:

Driver72

Established Member
After looking at this poll and reading this thread, I kind of feel bad for those who ordered/got the CS model. Makes you wonder what their resale value of the CS is going to be with so many people not "feeling" it.

Users who are viewing this thread