• Standard 5.0 w/ Brembos

Votes: 131 85.1%
  • GT/CS (California Special)

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wazslow

Established Member
Interesting, but like others have said to each their own.
Weird why you'd trade in a newer Vette for a Mustang, unless it was a financial thing. The Vette (as I'm sure you know) can be made to be a pretty stout and rad drag car easily too.

As for the Brembo's, I'd take that bet and raise you a few.
Bigger rotors, bigger pads, more contact patch with more even pressure from more pistons on a car that weighs the same and has better/stickier tires. Don't know how one could possibly bet against better (and shorter) braking distances? And from what I've read so far, the feel alone is much better with the Brembos too, and as you mentioned less fade (which is important for those of us who live in areas that get over 100 degrees, love to drive canyons that can include some steep downhill grades that can overheat brakes). To some that is very important as well (though less so for me as I'm not overly picky about feel unless the base brakes are grabby or completely non-progressive.

Had absolutly nothing to do with financing. Im just not a vette guy. Had it for one year and put a whole 1600 miles on it. I didnt really enjoy the car.

Assuming the stock brakes are strong enough to lock up all 4 tires, how are bigger brakes going to do any better? The abs is going to pulse the brakes anyway. The only advantage is fade, which I dont care about at all. I think the brembos are just a marketing gimick, they arenet even top of the line brembos anyway. As for the CS/GT it was just on the lot with the other options I wanted so I bought it. I could really care less about a reg GT or a CS/GT honestly. I will end up making the car into what I want in the long run anyway, and thats probably a high 9/low 10 sec street car.

Driver72

Established Member
Had absolutly nothing to do with financing. Im just not a vette guy. Had it for one year and put a whole 1600 miles on it. I didnt really enjoy the car.

Assuming the stock brakes are strong enough to lock up all 4 tires, how are bigger brakes going to do any better? The abs is going to pulse the brakes anyway. The only advantage is fade, which I dont care about at all. I think the brembos are just a marketing gimick, they arenet even top of the line brembos anyway. As for the CS/GT it was just on the lot with the other options I wanted so I bought it. I could really care less about a reg GT or a CS/GT honestly. I will end up making the car into what I want in the long run anyway, and thats probably a high 9/low 10 sec street car.

Wow only 1600 miles in a year? You made somebody happy.
Sounds good about the GT. I liked a lot about the CS, but there were other things I didn't like.
Honestly, spending $2k for the body kit known as the CS seems like the wasted money to me, $1700 for the Brembo package is a deal by comparison for what you actually get by comparison.
But to each their own. Seems like you plan on making it one badass street/strip car. :thumbsup:

igotyofire

Established Member

Im just going to hop right in here.......I think the brembo package comes with bigger rotors no? Well it seems it shouldn't be rocket size except for the simple fact that the increased rim size might negate performance some but often bigger rotors = more braking power, Unless its just bigger calipers to account for the more pistons.

1994 mustang gt w/ smaller 11.5in? rotors
Braking, 60-0, ft 131

where the 1995 Cobra R was 60-0ft was reported in 109-115 foot range

Ray Lucca

Established Member
A problem with the CS package is the seats, the seating area is like rubber, I started sweating looking at it. At Cars yesterday a dealer brought a CS [#402 package], and a GT Premium [#400 package], the seats we're much better in the Prem. GT, and I sat in both, and Brembo's are available. What I need to sort out further is the # 401 package for $395.00, it does give the darker Alum. dash piece, but gotta check out the seats. Anyone compare yet??? Brembo's are also available with the #401 package. I'm thinking of a 6 speed '11 GT Premium Vert. with Brembo's, leaning 3.55's instead of 3.73's and maybe the 401 package, especially if the seats are perforated. Sterling Gray Metallic or Black. I have my Immaculate 03 Terminator Vert listed in the market. Anyone come out of a Term. into an '11 GT??

Todd03Blown

Established Member

so you think Ford is going to put a $5k set of brembo's on a 30k car? No need to bash the Brembo package since you have no love or feel you need it. For me give me the better braking system from the factory as you never know when you will need the extra power. Plus as you mod the car and the faster it gets why not have a better set of brakes? Yep makes sense to me.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I personally think the GT/CS looks sick in black. But, I am biased since I own one.

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
Top of the line in my mind is a no option GT, spoiler delete. But you don't have that as a choice....

Bottom of the line is something with every option, and especially useless body-cladding stuff.

To each their own, of course.

you and me are on the same page dude. i got mine that way + 3.73's....a tune will fix the shifting at the line thingy.......

Formula51

Established Member
Top of the line in my mind is a no option GT, spoiler delete. But you don't have that as a choice....

Bottom of the line is something with every option, and especially useless body-cladding stuff.

To each their own, of course.

You old fart:-D

I say atleast get the factory gear option of your choice, unless you have reason to run something different than what is offered by Ford.

And cgjarvis, exactly when did 3,600#'s become a "light ass bitch"? A 1st gen Mustang (make mine a 65/66 fastback) was a "light ass bitch". A 2011 GT is NOT light.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
Not everyone wants a base gt and not everyone drags race. I have to daily drive and wanted the option to have a nice fast drag car. So I got the premium 401a with heated seats, 3.73s, and brembo brakes mostly because I hate the other wheels.

Vib_93

Established Member
Not sure why Ford chose to offer the GT/CS with no Brembo option? However if you get creative with the configurator you can build one with almost all the same bits (Spoiler, Front Fascia etc.) and appearance and also get the Brembos. Perhaps not the most economical route but it would give you the best of both worlds?

Just a thought.

5.0jake

Established Member
I saw a black GT/CS and it looked really good IMO.
Other colors, not so much.

Rick88LX

Established Member
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison as I'm not sure about the caliper stiffness on the new cars, but when I switched from Cobra brakes to Brembos in the front there was a noticeable improvement in feel. That was a direct result of a significant increase in caliper stiffness. Another bonus was better heat dissipation due to increased thermal mass of the caliper body itself. More consistent pad wear was improved as well with the fixed caliper.

From what I've been reading/hearing, there isn't a significant improvement in stopping distance between the standard brakes and the Brembos, but there is an improvement in fade resistance after repeated hard stops/threshold braking.

Bottom line is that performance-wise, unless you're going to open track the car, you'll likely never notice the difference. So it really comes down to esthetics/19"wheel option, which is merely a personal preference thing.

I don't really like any of the wheel offerings, so I'd opt to go standard brakes and pick out my own wheels and upgrade brakes if I felt compelled to do so.

I wouldn't spend a dime for a CS package...but I like clean and simple. They're too busy for my taste.

5.0jake

Established Member
I personally think the GT/CS looks sick in black. But, I am biased since I own one.

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

I test drove a black one just like yours and it looked great! The other colors did nothing for me. Brembos look cool but are overated IMO, your better off with a different brake upgrade if you plan to take to the track.
The C/S I drove seemed to have a short throw shifter? Seemed much tighter and more connected than the one in my base 11' GT :shrug:?

Last edited:

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I test drove a black one just like yours and it looked great! The other colors did nothing for me. Brembos look cool but are overated IMO, your better off with a different brake upgrade if you plan to take to the track.
The C/S I drove seemed to have a short throw shifter? Seemed much tighter and more connected than the one in my base 11' GT :shrug:?

The only C/S I would buy is the black one. I did the side stripe delete already and it is rockin 5.0 badges now.

As for the shifter I am not sure. This was the first 5.0 I test drove so and I purchased it. I do however have the Steeda Tri-ax installed now. It is a nice shifter.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison as I'm not sure about the caliper stiffness on the new cars, but when I switched from Cobra brakes to Brembos in the front there was a noticeable improvement in feel. That was a direct result of a significant increase in caliper stiffness. Another bonus was better heat dissipation due to increased thermal mass of the caliper body itself. More consistent pad wear was improved as well with the fixed caliper.

From what I've been reading/hearing, there isn't a significant improvement in stopping distance between the standard brakes and the Brembos, but there is an improvement in fade resistance after repeated hard stops/threshold braking.

Bottom line is that performance-wise, unless you're going to open track the car, you'll likely never notice the difference. So it really comes down to esthetics/19"wheel option, which is merely a personal preference thing.

I don't really like any of the wheel offerings, so I'd opt to go standard brakes and pick out my own wheels and upgrade brakes if I felt compelled to do so.

I wouldn't spend a dime for a CS package...but I like clean and simple. They're too busy for my taste.

agreed here

Users who are viewing this thread