Tore the motor down, Carnage pics!

gaazuremach1

Established Member
Well guys at the last Bugday we had I broke something in the engine. It was ticking when I got back to the pits and I thought that maybe I collapsed a hydraulic valve lash adjuster. Well when I pulled the plugs I noticed that #5 spark plug was knocked flat.

Anyway I finally got around to pulling the motor and tearing it down. And this is what I found.

1: Piston #5 broke the upper ringland and the piece is what bounced around and flattened the plug. Luckily it didn't damage the head or valves.

2: Rod #7 bent but did not break. No visual damage to the piston.

3: Rod #8 bent severely.

4: Piston #8: The rod bent enough to allow the piston to come down and the side skirts hit the counterweights on the crankshaft and broke the sideskirts.

5: Piston #8 cracked the upper ringland.

There is no visual damage to the crank, block or heads. All of the bearings looked good too.

Here are some pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
how much boost were you running through it? kind of expected though right? They say the limits of that motor is right around 500 rwhp give or take. how long were you running that setup and how much track time did the car see?
Now you can build it bigger and stronger and of course, add more boost (it's a vicious cycle) and on it goes.
good luck with the new build

gaazuremach1

Established Member
how much boost were you running through it? kind of expected though right? They say the limits of that motor is right around 500 rwhp give or take. how long were you running that setup and how much track time did the car see?
Now you can build it bigger and stronger and of course, add more boost (it's a vicious cycle) and on it goes.
good luck with the new build

It has had the Procharger since April of 2006. About 14000 miles and 120 - 150 passes at the track. It popped because I missed a shift. It was the 4.15" pulley and it would see about 11psi max. Rick at Amazon Tuning Solutions did an excellent job tuning it. Yep the block is out being bored .20 over and I am putting forged Manley Pistons and Rods in it as well as some Crower cams and a full head and intake port job.

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
Ouch! That sucks man. Good luck on building it even better and getting it back out there!

BTW, that's a shitload of power on the stock block! Great that it held together as long as it did. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread