Touch UP paint??

balla530

Established Member
I'm fairly new to polishing/waxing and caring for a car's exterior. I picked up a couple of small rock chips in my car, and I had 2 when I bought it. I bought the right touch up paint from my local ford, what's the best way to apply the touch up paint ? also I got a pen at the dealership that I work at, it's for a kia, but one side has the paint and the other has a clear coat? should I apply the touch up paint, and after it dries give it a coat of the clear ?? any help is appreciated thanks

Jazz

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
use crayons....
suicide.gif

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
this is ironic, i did a search on touch up paint before posting a new thread. i just noticed a chip in the front bumper of my 07 today. i am very skeptical of touch up paint. would really like someone to make some suggestions on what products and methods of use PLEASE!

CobraDave1

Established Member
I saw a demo on the Duplicolor website. They have a little kit that has all you need to even out the scratch, rock chip, etc, color coat, clear coat. They demo the entire process on the website. I've done something similar, including the crayon route, but their system looks it could be the best. It's getting the surface flat again that's the biggest issue, and they use glazing putty for that. It's worth a look, besides, I own 40% of the company. Got to keep that revenue coming in.(just kidding on that shareholder part) :)

Dave

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
Before applying touch up you MUST use a small q-tip with some rubbing alcohol, to clean the wax and dirt out of the chip, otherwise the touch up wont last.

the best way i found to apply touch up is not to use the applicator that it comes with, but use a toothpick, you fray the end of the tooth pick slightly, very lightly dip the frayed tooth pick into the touch up paint, only get a very small amount on the end of the toothpick, once the small droplet of paint touches the car it will fill in the chip, you will need to do this around 5 or 6 times to build the paint up to slightly above the rest of the paint on the car, after you do that, a few days when its dry, you can start to bring the chip down to surface level, i use different waxes of varied grit, to slowly work the "bubble" down, i have a few chips that were down the the metal, and now you have to be less then one inch from them to notice.

and i have a mystichrome

RedDakRT

Gone but not forgotten...
Established Member
I got keyed over the summer and don't have the money to have it fixed. If someone has any ideas on how to dull the appearance of it please post your thoughts!
Picture004.jpg

flyboygeo

Established Member
Before applying touch up you MUST use a small q-tip with some rubbing alcohol, to clean the wax and dirt out of the chip, otherwise the touch up wont last.

the best way i found to apply touch up is not to use the applicator that it comes with, but use a toothpick, you fray the end of the tooth pick slightly, very lightly dip the frayed tooth pick into the touch up paint, only get a very small amount on the end of the toothpick, once the small droplet of paint touches the car it will fill in the chip, you will need to do this around 5 or 6 times to build the paint up to slightly above the rest of the paint on the car, after you do that, a few days when its dry, you can start to bring the chip down to surface level, i use different waxes of varied grit, to slowly work the "bubble" down, i have a few chips that were down the the metal, and now you have to be less then one inch from them to notice.

and i have a mystichrome

Thanks for the technique!

Users who are viewing this thread