Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
So does anyone have a TRUE comparison of NT05s versus these guys. Pretty sure the OP is talking about the NT01s, not the 05s.

I love everything Nitto, and can get them a lot cheaper. Plus with the lip protection and the right sizing, I'm favoring the NT05s already.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
If you want DRs just get the hoosiers. If you want a street tire that hooks on the street, is good in wet weather and doesnt dance around on twisty road like a flat then buy these.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So does anyone have a TRUE comparison of NT05s versus these guys. Pretty sure the OP is talking about the NT01s, not the 05s.

I love everything Nitto, and can get them a lot cheaper. Plus with the lip protection and the right sizing, I'm favoring the NT05s already.

NT05s look sweet but they sizing selection is pretty limited. Nitto needs to release more.

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
NT05s look sweet but they sizing selection is pretty limited. Nitto needs to release more.

Agreed, but my wheels will only be 10" wide anyways, so a 295 is fine for now.

Seems like not having enough sizes offered is the usual phrase for me. It's like only DRs are made in 305s and 315s and I don't want a DR for a semi-daily driven Cobra.

In an 18" size. But, I don't want to run 17" wheels either lol. I just need Nitto to make me some custom tires...

EDIT: And does anyone else here know that Toyo and Nitto are part of the same company? Pretty whack...

Last edited:

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
Also, just a little info for those looking into them. After doing some research it seems that guys are very unhappy with them after taking them to the track and letting them get hot.

Turns out that the R888s heat up very quickly and start to actually harden after going through some heat cycles, therefore becoming very slick and greasy afterwards.

The NT05s however, don't have this problem and stay a lot cooler, therefore being a better track tire/weekend warrior tire. Especially if you plan on driving back home on the same set of tires.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Also, just a little info for those looking into them. After doing some research it seems that guys are very unhappy with them after taking them to the track and letting them get hot.

Turns out that the R888s heat up very quickly and start to actually harden after going through some heat cycles, therefore becoming very slick and greasy afterwards.

The NT05s however, don't have this problem and stay a lot cooler, therefore being a better track tire/weekend warrior tire. Especially if you plan on driving back home on the same set of tires.

Good thing I don't have a track car :-D

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
They seem to be the best option for the guys that want traction without the DR ride. That sway on back roads makes the car feel unglued in my opinion.:beer:

AMEN BROTHER!!! That's exactly why I started this post. These tires rock! I have other tires for going to the dragstrip, but these are the BEST for daily driver use...hands down. If you like hookin' and handlin' at the same time, these provide the best combination of both IMO.

CamdZ06

Established Member
Ive been debating on which tires to get for my Whipple Cobra. Do you think those would hook up with 600rwhp? In my case, i might need M/T or some type of Drag Radial.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Does anyone have a pic of the 315 toyos on a 10" rim. I have 315 Azenis 615 now on a 10 in rim with little bulge. But I hear these run big unfortunately I want the TQ's and they only come in a 315 there isn't a 305 or 295.

04nccobra

Established Member
Putting a set of Proxes TQs on the rear tomorrow, I sure hope they hook better than the factory rubber.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Man you guys knocking the R888s...

My car has been down for a month for a turbo build and just yesterday I pulled the wheels off to put them in storage. When I rolled them outside to get them into the basment the dry leaves stuck to them even when they were cold. I think thats a bit sticky if you ask me.

I am not sure how heat cycles would cause them to get hard unless they were being over heated.

You guys do know how hard it is for a tire to hook on a cold street whit a 600+rwhp car right? These things also work very very well in the rain. Thats all I have to say about that. :rockon:

sonicmach1

Established Member
I have >600 RWHP and they handle it pretty well. I have even been able to stand on it in 1st gear and they hold. For reference, my Pilot Sports had trouble at times in 3rd. Both tires were the same 315/30R18s too althought he R888s are about 1" wider at 13.0" sidewall to sidewall.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Just an FYI I bought 2 - 275-35-18 and 2 303-35-18 on eBay used for $280 shipped for all 4 shipped w/ just over 1/2 thread... Enjoy

vertigyn

Established Member
Man, you guys are all making me pretty excited about these tires! I've had KDW II's, Nitto DRs, NT05's and am now looking for something that will hook on the street and not be scary in the rain!

I was really happy with the NT05's until the weather started getting cooler and my tread was getting lower...can't get traction until 3rd with 475 at the wheels! Not cool. These Toyo's are sounding like a great option...now to see if I can find a pair of 305/35-18's for less than TiresDirect.net!

mach1033

Established Member

I was told the same thing. The rep at Tiresdirect steered me to the RA-1's. So that is what I bought.

mach1033

Established Member
Man, you guys are all making me pretty excited about these tires! I've had KDW II's, Nitto DRs, NT05's and am now looking for something that will hook on the street and not be scary in the rain!

I was really happy with the NT05's until the weather started getting cooler and my tread was getting lower...can't get traction until 3rd with 475 at the wheels! Not cool. These Toyo's are sounding like a great option...now to see if I can find a pair of 305/35-18's for less than TiresDirect.net!

Try the RA-1's. I bought these from tiresdirect after I was went for a ride in a buddies car that had them and speaking to a the rep from tiresdirect. I bought 275 35 18's and 305 35 18's.

Last edited:

93foxbody

Established Member
Sooo, anyone able to run 315's on a 10" rim? I have a hookup on 2 315's brand new for $400 but i only have a 10" wide rim, and I would hate to pass these up.

Users who are viewing this thread