Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

Jefe

Established Member
skaarew04SVT you need a tire with much more rubber on the front! Gonna save you money and get you longer use out of the fronts

DocB

Established Member
OK Fellas,

So how are you making out with the R888s in the rain?

They holding?

Your report on the results are eagerly awaited for.
Lookin to get some 315s for the rear, but they gotta hold in the rain.

TIA.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I drove from Venice to Naples (400 miles) in mine, and it rained half the time, and I never felt a single wiggle from the back. I was driving cautiously, but I was usually going about 80+ mph. They did very well for me. I have about 1500 miles on mine now with little indication of wear.

It looks like the redfires like getting these tires!

BTW, mine bulge quite a bit also with the 10.5s, but it is barely noticeable when mounted. I have hit my fenders twice on the right side going fast and hitting a big bump with 4 people in the car. It creates a tiny little line all the way around the tire. Sucks. I need to get the fenders rolled. Never happens with 1-2 people in the car.

DocB

Established Member
xavier,

Bet that was a beautiful drive.

Good to hear that these tires are holding in the rain, and at those speeds.
Sounds like you felt pretty safe, especially with 4 people in the car.

How's the grip in 1-4? on the dry?

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Doc,
Now you have to try to get the rear end to come loose. It will actually take a full throttle hit in first and second and just takes off. I have almost been in trouble when I tried to bring the rear end around and it hooked and sent the car straight toward the side of the road. Too be fair, I am only running 13 psi right now, so I am at 540 rwhp vice 600, but these tires are very grippy.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
OK Fellas,

So how are you making out with the R888s in the rain?

They holding?

Your report on the results are eagerly awaited for.
Lookin to get some 315s for the rear, but they gotta hold in the rain.

TIA.

I have over 6k miles on them now and they still have 60-70% of their original tread depth. To be honest, I am very surprised at how well they have held up cosidering the softness of the rubber compound. I have driven them cautiously, but fast (75mph) in wet weather, and have significant confidence in them in the rain. Much more so than any drag radial I ever used. I am absolutely sold on these tires. IMO they are perfect for daily driving. You wont be dissapointed.

Last edited:

DocB

Established Member
Fellas, thanks for the reports. Very glad to here they are holding up in the rain.
I've got them mounted, just need to bumpsteer the rear, reset toe, then heat cycle them and then see what they can do (especially about wheel hop).
Oh, and roll the fenders.

Last edited:

MrSwa

Established Member
I have over 6k miles on them now and they still have 60-70% of their original tread depth. To be honest, I am very surprised at how well they have held up cosidering the softness of the rubber compound. I have driven them cautiously, but fast (75mph) in wet weather, and have significant confidence in them in the rain. Much more so than any drag radial I ever used. I am absolutely sold on these tires. IMO they are perfect for daily driving. You wont be dissapointed.

This milage number is good news to me. What pressure are you running them at?

Slow99x

Established Member
Kinda freaked out about going with anything but the BFG KDW2s because they handle great in wet and dry. I've been cought in a few crazy rain storms and had no problems with the BFGs. I have even gotten more than 34k miles on them. I have the 295/35R18 in the rear and I would like to go to a 315 but the BFGs are only available in 335s. I only have 18x10s in the rear so they would bulge if I went 335s.
The Toyos are a great looking tire but the solid center freaks me out even though I live in AZ. There isn't much rain most of the year but it can be crazy June-Sept.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
This milage number is good news to me. What pressure are you running them at?

I run all 4 at the recommended factory setting of 32psi. Even at this pressure they dig from a stop surprisingly well...better than 315 Nitto 555R (at lower pressure) and just as good as the the 315 BFG DR (at same pressure).

03mgtermi

Established Member
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a pair of these tires for the rear soon. I have FR500 replicas in the 18x10" size and currently running 295 goodyear eagles. fitment on the rim is just fine and i have plenty of room around the actual tire.

What is the widest tire you would say I could fit on a 10" rim without a ton of bulge so that I still maintain a safe level of space around the tire in the fender??

Should I stick with 295's, or go with 305's or 315's? My car has about 470rwhp on a pullied eaton so I'm not in need of super meats but don't want to get 295's when 305/315 would fit and give me more grip.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!!

EDIT: looks like i missed skaarew04SVT's post about his 315's, so those are out. Looks like I will stick with 295's, which should equal out to a 305 or even 315 with some other brands. at least they will be cheaper!

Last edited:

CAT600

Clutchless T56 is GO!
Established Member
I have been running R888's on my Aussie Falcon for a couple of years now. At the beginning of last year I fitted the 295/30/19's (The 305/30/19's had not been released at that stage) onto my 11.5" rears (FGT supercar 6 spokers) and they measured up at 310mm wide.

On these, my car ran 10.9@136mph making it the fastest manual modular on street radials in AUS. The best time I have run with MT ET streets is 10.7@135 before my clutch let up, so it just goes to show how much grip the Toyo's have especially considering I am dealing with a 4400lb 4 door!

R888 FTW!

Daniel

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a pair of these tires for the rear soon. I have FR500 replicas in the 18x10" size and currently running 295 goodyear eagles. fitment on the rim is just fine and i have plenty of room around the actual tire.

What is the widest tire you would say I could fit on a 10" rim without a ton of bulge so that I still maintain a safe level of space around the tire in the fender??

Should I stick with 295's, or go with 305's or 315's? My car has about 470rwhp on a pullied eaton so I'm not in need of super meats but don't want to get 295's when 305/315 would fit and give me more grip.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!!

EDIT: looks like i missed skaarew04SVT's post about his 315's, so those are out. Looks like I will stick with 295's, which should equal out to a 305 or even 315 with some other brands. at least they will be cheaper!

I have 18x10 FR500's with MT's 305 35 18's and they fit fine. All I did was get flush mounted IRS bolts. The R888's do come in this size. Also the Toyo RA1's come in this size as well.

Last edited:

moonltgold

be warned....toyo r888s 315 30 18s are SUPER WIDE (13"). had them mounted yesterday on a 10.5" wheel.....and they bulge bigtime. this tire needs to be on an 11" or 11.5" wheel to look right IMHO. they spec out to be 335s (toyos spec sheet on them is wrong) unless they stamped my tires with 315 on accident

So it is safe to say that the Toyo R888 in any given size will be wider than the Nitto NT-05 in the same size?

03mgtermi

Established Member
that's what i'm assuming...i'm going to go with toyo's 295 on my 10" rims and i'm betting they measure out to about 305mm in width.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
took a few more cell pics today.........for some reason my cell makes my redfire look orange, oh well. I DEDICATE these pics to my new nemesis NOODLES :beer:

Photo-0176.jpg

Photo-0174.jpg

Pleeease more pictures of the rear & of your front calipers !!!!!!! :banana:

sonicmach1

Established Member
Here is my latest addition...

These are *big* for a 315 - just about 13.0" from sidewall to sidewall. They are almost 1" wider than my exisiting Michelin Pilot Sport 315s. The tires are grayish on the tread in the mounted picture, but the actual width extends out futher to the black region. These has about 37 psi in them from just being mounted too so I have lowered it since thse pics.

They did fit with my existing 1/4" spacers, but it is close.

Took them out for a clean-off test drive and WOW they do hook! I have never been able to go WOT in 1st (or many times 2nd gear) with the old Pilot Sports with my >600 RHWP. Should have some fun now leaving the line. :rockon:

r888s_on_crop_9032010.jpg

r888s_on_left2_9032010.jpg

315_R888s_1.jpg

315_R888s_2_5082010.jpg

315_R888s_3_5082010.jpg

315_R888s_5_5082010.jpg

315_R888s_PS2s.jpg

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
^Are you using them for the front as well? I'm gonna go all out and get all 4 for my car. They look bad ass :rockon: So they really hook in first gear with over 600hp? Only reason is that i'm gonna play the guinea pig with these cause my buddies dont believe that they will perform as to what everyone is saying. But it seems like eveyone here love's them so what the hell its just money right? :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread