Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
Hey Just to re-enforce the original poster ,I used to run the Nitto 555 R and I always seemed to spin the hell out of them on the street and even at the track with a good burn out -always not content with them . I buy my tires at my local Les Shwaaab and when I went in for another drag radial they recomended the r888 over any other tire even for straight line . Truly I was a skeptic but I got them mounted 3 weeks ago and I am very impressed with them . They have a really cool design and they really seem to stick even on straight line pulls alot better then the Nitto 555.
Only negative is I'v heard they wear out rather fast but so for so good in my experience: )
Though ;isted as road race tires they are proving to be better then any drag radial Iv used .

Jefe

Established Member
I think Ill try these next. Just put Falken Azenis Rt615's on

IMG_0171.jpg

945LSTANG

Established Member
do you guys think it would be a good idea to run these on all four corners? what about in wet conditions?

Jefe

Established Member
do you guys think it would be a good idea to run these on all four corners? what about in wet conditions?

I would want something that would last longer up front. 555s or something with a 300+ treadwear rating

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
ditto...

if i had the $ i'd run them at all 4 corners. i've been replacing the rears every 7-9 months as it is. i'd hate to have to endure this frequency for the fronts as well. i usually get about 20-24 months out of my front tires (which are cheaper than the R888's to begin with). and you should be fine with them in wet weather.

mach1033

Established Member
I just ordered a set of the r888's along with the toyo r1's for the fronts. these r888's are very expensive. Cant wait to test them out.

DSGCOBRA03

Established Member
I wanted a tire that felt good in the turns and also hooked up. I went from the 555r's to the r888's (315) and the car definitely feels better in the turns, although I haven't been able to test them out traction wise due to the weather being under 40 degrees when I bought them. I guess I'll just have to wait till summer.

cesarthepleaser

Established Member
i got the r888 on my 03 cobra and they hook really good. i dd my car and they do ok in the rain as compared to my old bfg kdw tires.

yes they arent cheap but if you are one of the lucky ones that can. i highly reccomend a set.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Finally drove on them in wet conditions today. Drove through a heavy downpour this morning on the way to a meeting. I was on the interstate for most of the way so my speeds were upwards of 65 during the heavier rains and up to 80 in slight rain. Speed was limited by visibility...not traction. On- and off-ramps were no problem. I still want to test them in an open parking lot to try and determine their limit of lateral wet traction (during cornering). Overall I am highly impressed with them. Definitely worth the $.

Hopefully I can get at least 6 months out of a set. I only got 3 months out of my last BFG DR's, but usually got 9-11 months out of the Nitto DR. Treadwear of the R888 is all that's left to be determined. So far I am completely satisfied with their performance in all other categories.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
The R888s are not known or designed to get a lot of mileage. They are known for being rewarding on track days and allow you to drive on the street safely and legally. I have two new sets of rims and tires. One set are the rims with the R888s and I do not want to put the others back on the car again. I love the grip from these tires. They seem to match my car's suspension setup and my skills.

Last edited:

Ralo

Established Member
Toy DRs here and I'm pretty sure my next set of tires will me hoosiers or mickeys.

Torched Cobra

Established Member
where is the best place to buy them?

Here you go:
TOYO Proxes R888 @ TiresDirect.Net

Even if they are out of stock on the website, call them. They will call TOYO and see if they are readily available. If so, then you can still order them, even though it says it's out of stock, and they will order from TOYO, get them, and then ship them to you. This website also has the new TQ's. There site is the cheapest I've found so far.

I even called a Discount Tire here in San Antonio, TX asking about the TQ's. The guy said they couldn't get them and asked where I was finding them. I told him about the site, he looked them up, and said DAMN!

Hope this site helps you.:thumbsup:

yellow03vert

Established Member
I believe these will be the next tire I buy, I have tried the nitto and Bfg Dr's
they both hooked up good but I did not like them in the rain. If these hook up as well as the nitto's and go alright in wet weather they will be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread