Toyo Proxes R888: best rear tire I've ever used(STUCK!)

Teej281

Established Member
I think Ill try these next. Just put Falken Azenis Rt615's on

IMG_0171.jpg

What do you think of the RT615's so far??? How do they perform would you say???

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
the nt05 has a harder rubber compound than the r888, but less tread depth. both corner very well, but it's a night and day difference when its wet out. nt05's and wet roads don't mix. the r888 has done exceptionally well in cold & wet weather lately. r888's are the logical choice if your car is a daily driver...IMO.

Tmac01baller

Established Member
I understand that these will obviously not get the best traction in the colder winter months, but will these be safe to drive in colder temps? One of the reasons I'm considering these is because my Nitto DR's warn not to drive them in temps below 38*. This winter I've seen temps in the upper 20's. Let me know cause I want to buy a pair today!

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
i've not driven them in temps that cold so can't speak to their performance in these conditions. I have driven them with temps in the 40's, however and they have done fine. the nittos definitely had less traction in weather this cold. trade off will no doubt be tread life, but the r888 starts of with excellent tread depth...more than most DR's and much more than the nittos come with. i'll be happy if I get at least 6 months out of them. had them for over a month now with little noticeable treadwear. not worried yet, but warmer temps are coming...

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I picked up a rear 305/35/18 set from direct tire, going on this week. They are one good looking tire, I just hope I don't cut them with my fenders. I am now running stock springs though, so that should save them. I'll post pics if I ever get internet at the house again. The above statement about them calling Toyo is correct, and every estimate of shipping time was way over what it actually took. They were able to order a set from Toyo one day, the next day they showed up at tires direct and were shipped to me. Got to me in about 4 days total.

I will post impressions, but these will be compared to the Nitto 555s I have now, and they suck at both wet and dry conditions, even though they have about 3/4 thread on them. Just not a good design for high hp.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Sorry its blurry, but it shows the tires pretty well.
DSC_0039.jpg

By the way, they are on 18X10 FR500s.

ausie

Established Member
I have been a fan of the Toyo tires ever since I ran the toyo proxes T1S tires. Since they replaced them with the T1-R design I have a full set of them now. Best overall tire I ever used on dry and wet surfaces. Tires shed water like the street is dry. I was told that many people who have used the T1-R tire have moved over to the R888. They outperform most drag radial tires even though they are designed for road course use. I have another set of wheels I will get the R888 mounted just for the rear end. As for tire size for a stock wheel 17x9, the 275/40 will run a bit wider than a regular street tire of the same size. The toyo T1-R tires are not cheap either but less expensive than the R888.

Jefe

Established Member
nt05's and wet roads don't mix

:??: My NT05's were awesome in the rain and their are several people on this site with a lot more power than my Cobra that agree. Have you had them? This is the first time you mentioned these tires in this thread is why I ask

I had the NT05s, now im on the Falken Azenis and Ill be trying these R888's next:beer:

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Impressions from a week of driving:

1. Not any louder than my 555s, or at least I can't hear them over the exhaust
2. Definitely have a stiffer sidewall
3. Full throttle in 2nd is possible, even turning. These tires grip so well that the car twists from the torque rather than just spinning the tires. These tires just show me how awful the 555s really are, even when they are not too old and have plenty of tread.
4. Very sticky, expect rocks hitting the wheel wells much more frequently.

So far, still very happy!

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Impressions from a week of driving:

2. Definitely have a stiffer sidewall
3. Full throttle in 2nd is possible, even turning. These tires grip so well that the car twists from the torque rather than just spinning the tires.
4. Very sticky, expect rocks hitting the wheel wells much more frequently.

So far, still very happy!

I agree with the above! The roads here are dry and cold but I still have plenty of grip.

dlaude

Established Member
has anyone tried both the nt05R and the proxes r888 that would be able to do a comparison? I'm ordering tires very soon here and this info would be pretty useful.

Users who are viewing this thread